Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

What is your most prolific Blooming David Austin?

boncrow66
9 years ago

I am interested in hearing which DA's are blooming machines in your gardens and holds up to the heat. I have Sophys rose, Jude the obscure, Lady Emma Hamilton, carding mill and Molineaux on my list for possible purchase next spring and welcome other suggestions as well. Thanks!

Comments (67)

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ingrid you have already "enabled" me to SDLM so I will probably follow your advice on Carding mill as well. And for sure Sophys rose will stay on my list along with Tamora and Darcy Bussel and Jude the obscure. I really want to add 2 more to the list but haven't decided yet. This is just my Austin list, I have a separate list for OGR's. I am addicted to these roses! This forum has been great at helping me feed my addiction with people who introduce you to new roses that you just HAVE to have lol. :). I love it!

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

My 'Molineux' always has flowers. When comes time to prune it in January or February, I always face having to cut off a lot of flowers and buds. It has excellent Rust resistance. Some people do not like the fragrance, which is rather musky. I like the fragrance myself.

Another with excellent repeat though not an Austin is 'Bolero', the 2004 version. It's also very fragrant. It is slow to establish, but other than that an outstanding cultivar.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hoovb I think Molineaux is beautiful so I'm glad to hear it does well for you and is always in bloom. Is yours in all day sun or does it get afternoon shade? And is it a monster in size?

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

NEar san francisco california my neighbors Molineaux is 7 feet tall by 5 and 1/2 feet wide, which is why I don't grow it.
    Belle Storey blooms often and well in partial shade here.
    Mary Rose has the longest bloom season of any of the 14 Austins in my neighbors yard, it blooms from April through late November with 4 bloom cycles a year, (each lasting from 30-34 days) = c. 128 days of bloom, which is the high average for Florabunda's here.
    Lux.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Coming rather late to the danceâ¦but I have to put in a good word for Charlotte. I purchased two bare root this spring on multiflora. AMAZING rose. Almost continual bloom. The color fades a bit in the heat but a very pretty shape and HEALTHY as a horse. One of my healthiest and she is in a hot spot with reflected heat and in a pot, to boot.
    I praise her. Not a "thriller" but better than a "filler".
    Tamora is fantastic.
    Pat Austin is GREAT! I haven't seen the deep tones yet, she gets dappled shade but the blooms are wonderfulâ¦great as they blow out and fade.
    I grown Molineaux. It's in a lousy spot here with too much shade, (although CPM does great there) but when it did bloom the shading was fantastic. I know it is recommended for the South so it's likely mine is just in the wrong place.
    I'm trying Anne Boleyn, Wildeve and Charles Darwin this year, own root (just arrived a couple of weeks ago). Anne Boleyn is a bloom machine and very healthy. Wildeve and Charles Darwin are budding up nicely.
    If you grow Austins, you must grow Jude the Obscure! It's so slow to build up own root (mine took 5 years) I highly recommend getting it budded.
    Susan

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lux sounds like Molineaux may get too big for where I'm going to be planting but I still am going to keep it on my list as a maybe. I was going to pick either Sophys or Mary rose but keep hearing great things about both so I may end up with both.
    Susan glad youdid join in, it's never to late I chime in. I for sure have Jude on my list but I am glad to hear a positive response about Charlotte, I will definetely have to give her some serious thought. I have heard mixed reviews on Pat Austin so glad to hear she is doing good for you. My list is getting longer everyday, it's not going to be easy to decide lol. I'll probably dream about my list!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I deadheaded two beds today and counted. They both had about the same number of dead heads, but one rose was in bloom and would have really bumped out the count

2 Darcey Bussells
    vs
    3 Jubilee Celebrations (still had half a dozen blooms)
    1 Golden Celebration (small dud of a plant)
    Ambridge
    Carding Mill
    PAOK (still had half a dozen blooms)
    Mystery Austin
    Bishops Castle (the one in bloom that would have really bumped up the count)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

boncrow66, I'm not sure where you are located, but in my zone 6 (Midwest) Molineux only grows about 3 to 3.5 ft tall at most. It is narrower than it is tall.

I think Austins often over-grow in California, but in other parts of the country, stay closer to the stated sizes in the Austin catalog .

Kate

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    9 years ago

My best Austins are Sir Edward Elgar, Lady of Shalott, Blythe Spirit, The Prince, Winchester Cathedral, Lady Emma Hamilton, Carding Mill, Crocus Rose, Munstead Wood, Windrush, and Lichfield Angel. The others I have are a mixed bag with respect to blooming habits, but these I have mentioned are the most consistently prolific.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy thanks for the run down of the Austin's in your garden, sounds like there are some on my list, so that will help with the selection process.
    Kate I am in se Texas and I have heard Austin's tend to grow large here.
    Bustopher looks like you have a few on my list too, thanks for letting me know how your are doing.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Boncrow, I have decided that unless it is clearly and sold as a small rose, all of the Austins are much bigger than listed.

For me the small (30" tall or less) ones are:
    Ambridge
    Mystery Austin (thinking Coverdale but tagged PAOK)
    Carding Mill

Medium (36-40"):
    Darcey Bussell
    Munstead Wood
    PAOK
    Jubilee Celebration

The rest range of big to big/climber in order of sizes.
    Mary Rose
    Bishop Castle
    Golden Celebration (still younger though)
    Janet (grafted wants to be a mop of arching canes-I like this)
    Young Lycidas (similar to Janet but with thin canes)
    Crocus Rose
    James Galway
    Lady of Megginch (put her in the back she wants to climb)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Not in your zone but thought I'd chime in that I have both Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas. They both bloom in flushes for me, not continuously, but Graham's repeat is quicker than GCs.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

Hands down, it is the Austin rugosa Wild Edric. He's blooming now even in upper 90s temps--not a lot of flowers when it is this hot, but most of my other roses are completely shut down. Foliage is always beautiful too. This rose is also one of the most drought tolerant I've ever grown. I have not fertilized him at all since 2012 (the year he arrived from Pickering) when he got 2 or 3 feedings of fish emulsion. Grafted on mulfiflora. No soil amendments. Only gets natural mulch in the form of falling leaves from the giant ash tree he grows under (around 20-30 feet from the trunk).

Wild Edric is a very low maintenance plant. Quite the water-sipper! Mine lives next to a very drought tolerant South African sage, Salvia namaensis (which also interestingly enough blooms for much of the year). Both of these look nice year round and are favorites in my garden.

Melissa

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

The Alnwick Rose repeats well, compact with beautiful fragrance. Bishop's Castle is another lovely rose with good repeat bloom in summer.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have enjoyed hearing from everyone on what Austin's bloom best for you. I think I have my list narrowed down but as always this is subject to change lol.
    Darcy Bussell
    Tamora
    Charlotte
    Jude
    Sophys rose
    Ambridge
    Lady Emma Hamilton
    Carding Milll

I am still thinking about Milineaux but it will come down to space.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I almost forgot I want Abe Darby too! See my list is already changing lol. I have a small flower bed in the middle of the yard that I have room for one rose, out of Charlotte, lady if shallot or lady Emma Hamilton which one would be pretty by itself surrounde by a variety of dianthus already growing there? I want a bright color like yellow or a orangey color.

9 years ago

Charlotte fades a bit (like most Austins it seems). She starts off a deep lemon yellow. Very pretty. Amount of fade depends on how much direct sun she gets. I think Lady of Shallot of Lady Emma Hamilton might be better for deeper richer color.
    Pat Austin is one of my faves!
    Abe really fades out for me.
    I have a bush of Charlotte that is full of buds and when it blooms I will take a photo. It is against a south facing brick wall that gets blasting sun from 11 to 3.
    If you wanted a yellow I would think Golden Celebration would be nice (mine has never been gold, more yellow).
    Susan

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Susan, I think LOS or LEH might be the better choice and I will consider Pat Austin. I want something with a happy vibrant color and will not get huge. I can't wait to see a pic of your Charlotte! She is staying on my list for sure but may have to go in a diffent spot.

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

For your consideration, here are Lady Emma and Lady of Shalott, they were both planted as grafted, bare root plants about 3 1/2 months before these photos were taken.

Lady Emma Hamilton:{{gwi:294106}}

Lady of Shalott:
    {{gwi:294108}}

The main difference that I notice is that Lady Emma's growth habit is much more compact, & round & she grows at a slower pace, where as Lady of Shalott grows every which way, and quickly.

Jessica

This post was edited by Dinglehopp3r on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 1:49

9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the photos!
    Susan

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ooh LEH is so pretty! Thanks for the pics Jessica! I think big are pretty but I like the growth on Leh better I think. All if your rose pics are so pretty that you post. Anyone have any luck with Scepter d'Isle?

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

Boncrow66, thank you!! As a novice, I appreciate that very much! LEH is my favorite rose right now, she's so charming. Sidenote: I just noticed a brand new basal break on her that is over 7 inches long, it must have popped out of there like corn out of it's kernel because I looked for new growth on her last week and couldn't find any. Crazy!

I have never grown Scepter D'Isle, it looks lovely though.

Jessica

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jessica no one would ever guess your a beginner! And I love your solutions to different problems like your banana smoothies and corn meal for BS, I am going to try the corn meal btw. I know my list seems long and I may have to trim it down some more but I am planting all these roses at our lake house where we will be retiring in a few years so I am adding roses ever year, right now I am planting around our deck and hopefully when we get to retire most everything around the deck will be established and I can move on to different parts of the yard. So if I don't get everything on my list this go round, I will eventually lol. I plan on adding other roses besides Austin's too so it's fun to be on the forum and learn about other roses from everyone.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

My Lady of Shalott usually has some blooms on it. Munstead Wood is a good bloomer, but seems to need a rest period between.

As to Scepter'd Isle, mine is a couple years old and not very vigorous. Perhaps it is just a more delicate plant. It is healthy, however, and while it barely bloomed the first 2 years, it is now putting out lots of blooms. Haven't had it long enough to comment on its long-term characteristics, but one reason I chose this rose is because other posters assured me it was a good bloomer/re-bloomer. Now that it has started blooming finally, I hope it lives up to its reputation.

Kate

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kate, I am still on the fence about SdI so I may wait on that one. I really do want munstead wood eventually, I have only heard good thing about it but will probably wait since I'm going to have plenty of time and places to plant.

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Boncrow, sorry to be joining in so late. My most prolific bloomer is Claire Austin; she is never without blooms, even in the heat of summer, and the blooms are incredibly beautiful. Alnwick comes in second, and has been flushing over and over, with very short rest periods between bloom cycles. The schizophrenic (colorwise) Carding Mill is another strong bloomer, and is pictured below (taken today). If you are considering Carding Mill, be aware that she is a rose of many colors.

jannike

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jannike, I have heard only positive things about Claire Austin and will be one I will consider. Your Carding Mill is beautiful. I think the changing colors would be pretty and always a suprise lol.

• Marlorena
    9 years ago

..so far I'm very pleased with this English rose 'Thomas á Becket'... it has a gorgeous old rose scent... and is blooming prolifically although I've not had this rose long enough to compare... but it's fast becoming one of my favourites and I've had problems with Austin's in the past....
    it's growing up a short obelisk as I expect it to reach 5 foot unpruned...

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Here's Tamora rolling into flush #3 this morning. About 75 buds/blooms. She is not just my best Austin, she is my best rose.

{{gwi:294110}}

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Young Lycidas and Bishop's Castle

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 18:05

• carla17
    9 years ago

I see lots of people growing Boscobel and Strawberry Hill. I think SH must be a bloom machine but I do not grow it.

Carla

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Marlorena your Thomas a becket is beautiful, I love the deep pink color. And Harryshoe I can't believe your Tamora has that many buds, that's awesome. I already have Tamora on my must have list for next spring. I really appreciate everyone's responses and I am doing my research constantly and rearranging my list but so far Tamora has stayed at the top of my list. I have also decided in Ducher for a white rose and Darcy Bussell is top of the list too. Those 3 are for sure going in my garden next spring. The rest is still to be decided lol.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

It gets hot, hot, hot here. Central CA. Been over 100 and mostly over 105 degrees plus. Looks like we are working our way back up to 110 to 113 again. Prolific DA's? Has to be the newer varieties. Jude the Obscure is a WIMP! After growing it for several years, it is getting shovel pruned in the fall. Same for Evelyn. Ambridge is pretty prolific but it is not on it own's root and after 15 years or so is reverting back to rootstock.
    New ones on their own root that don't stop blooming? Munstead Wood--absolutely fabulous. Same for Princess Alexandra of Kent. Also Pretty Jessica. Peach Blossom is another one but it gets very tall in my area and I treat it as a climber or pillar rose.
    {{gwi:291338}}
    Peach Blossom

{{gwi:294111}}
    Munstead Wood

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mustbnuts your munstead woods is pretty. I don't expect my roses to be covered in blooms from spring till fall but i do want a good rebloom. My Evelyn was planted own root this spring and has not stopped blooming, I wouldn't say she is a blooming machine but she does put out about one or 2 blooms a week and I am perfectly happy with that and I think after she matures she will put out more blooms than that for me.

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Without a doubt, in my garden it is 'Leander'. I grow two of it trained as climbers. One is on a trellis against the front of the house and one is on the fence in the back.

They flush heavily several times a summer if you deadhead them. It is one of my DH Tom's favorites. A thoroughly satisfying rose.

Rosefolly

• melodyinz8a
    9 years ago

For me it is Golden Celebration and the Ingenious Mr. Fairchild. Neither have stopped blooming since May this year.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was so helpful to hear about everyone's best blooming Austin's, I really appreciate all the valuable input. I have been pleased with the Austin's i already have planted this year and now feel confident that whatever I choose for next spring I will be making a educated decision based on everyone's helpful info. Thanks everyone!

• garden_peggy
    9 years ago

Mary Rose has been beautiful. Starting to bloom again even without deadheading.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mary and Sophys rose are for sure in my list but I may have to choose one and I'm not sure which one it will be.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

I don't know if this will help you in any way, since I only have three; Graham Thomas, Munstead Wood and Molineux. It's Molineux. This rose had an odd growth pattern this spring when it was in a pot. It sent out some long canes that made me think that I might actually have a climber. When I moved it from the pot to the ground several weeks ago, I cut back the long canes, buds and blossoms. It immediately put out a lot of new growth and new buds- lots of them. At first I removed them and then I finally gave up and just let it go. It has been a blooming machine and I haven't even had it a year! So far it hasn't put out any more of the long gangly canes that made me wonder if I had the right rose.

Graham Thomas needs to be moved and did not fare well last winter, Munstead Wood and Molineux are new this spring from D. A. Munstead Wood and Molineux were bare root and all are own root.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kes4353, thanks for the letting me know how your DA's are doing. I'm especially glad to hear Molineaux is such a good bloomer for you. I only have 3 DA myself, Evelyn, golden celebration and heritage. Evelyn was throwing super long canes for me too but I just cut them back even with the rest of the canes and they are getting the idea. My GC has decided it wants to climb so I trainging on my porch railing. So far I love all my Austin's and can't wait to add more.

• kingcobbtx7b
    7 years ago

I have a Scepter d Isle and a Heritage close together which just seem to be a continuous mass of blooms.

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

Pat Austin is my most prolific bloomer, but she's also 9feet tall. Tons of flowers, but unfortunately blow quickly. Scepter D'Isle, same. Tons of blooms that blow quickly. Darcey Bussel is a good bloomer, the dark lady and Sophy's rose are both blooming machines. Evelyn is a favorite. Huntington rose blooms very well too. Charlotte is one of the best and has stayed compact. Tamora is also wonderful. Carding Mill gets some BS for me. Litchfield Angel is a decent bloomer and has great disease resistance. Oliva Rose (new this year) is EVERYTHING they said she'd be. In every aspect a great rose. Prolific, beautiful blooms that last, and one of the most disease resistant roses I grow. I'm very impressed with her and plan to get a few more next season.

• SoFL Rose z10
    7 years ago

Oh, and I love Lady Emma Hamilton!

• totoro z7b Md
    6 years ago

Boscobel has the quickest repeat for me of my Austins. Like blooming 2 weeks after the last bloom was finished.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Munstead Wood, Teasing Georgia, Lichfeild Angel, definitely Pat Austin, Abe Darby, and this year Olivia has had buds or blooms constantly on a daily basis since January. Last year, Olivia was new to me and I didn't really care for her. This year she has done a 180 degree turn lol. She blooms all the time and her blooms are huge and gorgeous. The bush is large and black spot free in my no spray, hot & humid garden. The flowers still have hardly any fragrance but a little more than last year. All these buds n blooms are Olivias except for the aged looser bloom of PAOK photo bombing under the largest Olivia bloom lol.

• Kelly Tregaskis Collova
    6 years ago

Darcy Bussell is almost always in bloom!!

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Abe Darby by far, second in line Pat Austin.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    6 years ago

1. Munstead Wood ( it has not been absent blooms since March)

2. Young Lycidas ... Right behind MW