Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
violetgrey

Lillian Austin

ms. violet grey
9 years ago

I recently came across this rose via a blog, rosenotes.
Is it peach or a orange/pink?

Lillian is one of the earlier Austin's, circa 1973
(named after his mum, as British say).

I received a good sized bushy band. She now has 1 bud.
Why, yes, I'll let the bud bloom.

Comments (10)

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

More deep orange pink with yellow petal bases.

What the pictures don't tell you is that she is thorny. Not moderately thorny, but seriously thorny. As in afraid to weed around the base for fear of major blood loss.

Had I known the thorn-propensity, I would have sited her differently.

She is a good grower but left my garden before the weeds that had become established in her thorn nest could take over the rest of the border.

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

color as is stated by anntn6b. I love her she is beautiful! I still have her and she still puts out blooms in our heat, although they don't last long, unless it's a bloom under leaves. I love her bush shape as well, she is thorny, but worth it!

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    9 years ago

I would call her salmon pink with the fore mentioned yellow petal bases and stamens. She's one of my favorite colours when blooms are newly opened. quite vigorous with a rather sprawling habit here. Very good rebloom too.{{gwi:215587}}

{{gwi:226012}}

I love this rose, I have two.

Rick

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Pat and Lillian are my two all-time favorite Austins. Ann is exactly right about Lillian's thorns, but it is a beautiful rose. It has a different sort of an orange-pink color, sort of a soft coral color, IMO. It is a great producer (for me) and grew fast and was very healthy. Pat Austin was next favorite. I loved the colors and once I learned her nodding behavior was a part of her personality, I grew to love her too. She is a completely different orange color from Lillian but I cherish each as they were unique to the other roses I grew and just hardy, hardy, hardy.

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lillian Austin, pretty colors! Thank you for posting pictures.

Does she stay short but spreads a lot? Requires a lot of real estate space?
    1-2 other roses planted a few feet away, maybe 2-3 feet.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

Mine sort of sprawled and since it was by a post where I was growing a climber I tied it up to the post as well. I think it got about 5-6 ' tall. The sprawl was probably 2-3 ' wide.

• carla17
    9 years ago

Lillian was a wonderful rose for me. Grew into a large shrub, took pruning well. Beautiful blooms. Mine were a pink with yellow centers.

Carla

• carla17
    9 years ago

Lillian is a wonderful rose. Grew to a large shrub and took pruning well. Mine was pink with yellow centers. Very nice rose.

Carla

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

Sprawling, yes. Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "octopus" LOL! And if she is so in zone 4 where I grew her for years, I can hardly wait to see what she does in your Texas garden. I always considered her blended colors - which Rick is correct, come off looking salmon color - one of Austin's best. She's a beauty. Thorny and a busybody who intrudes on all the neighbors, but a beauty.

• stealthecrumbs
    9 years ago

I absolutely love Lillian Austin. Roses Unlimited sent me an unusually small plant so she took a while to get going... at first I thought she was a dud but once she got in happy dirt, she went crazy. I actually have her growing up a sturdy wooden obelisk. Her first year in the ground she sent out such enormous octopus canes I knew she needed some structure and support. Her spring flush took my breath away. And the scent- to me it is a fruity, soapy smell. Hard to describe. I get scattered blooms during the rest of the season. I don't have a photo of her in situ, but here's one with some blooms in a vase.