Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
setigera

Secret Garden Musk Climber

setigera
16 years ago

Can this rose be grown through a wagon wheel 9-10 ft high?

Comments (17)

• luxrosa
    16 years ago

The plant reaches 15 feet in all directions so if the purpose of the wagon wheel is to be ornamental, the plant would cover it entirely.
    We have two "S.G.M.C"s and when they get a bit larger they'll go in the ground, and be planted against a fence. I plan to espalier them to be 15' lengthwise, 6' tall, and c. 4 feet deep. Their canes are very supple, and easy to train.
    I hope this information is of help to you.
    Luxrosa.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    16 years ago

Is it hardy in zone 6? Might be smaller there than in zone 9.

• setigera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, whats the best thing to grow this on?

• jerijen
    16 years ago

So, whats the best thing to grow this on?

*** A very tall fence?
    An Arbor?
    We have it over an arbor, flanked by two vertical trellises which give it more room to roam.

JEri

• berndoodle
    16 years ago

Mine's a big shrub, like Darlow's Enigma.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Cass, I bet you actually PRUNE it!

Jeri

• jimofshermanoaks
    16 years ago

Secret Garden Musk Climber is an extremely versatile plant as indiicated by the above answers. My own plant is some fifteen feet tall, about three to four feet wide and in bloom twelve months out of the year. I do prune it back to prevent it from growing wider and/or tie back some of the canes. For southern California, it is an ideal plant with few special needs aside from the saw-fly slug. It grows in a paralel line with SuperJane and Crepsucule.
    JimD

• patricianat
    16 years ago

How long does it take to get it really going? Mine has not gotten head-high yet, 2+ years. Is it about to take off and eat my house? LOL.

• jerijen
    16 years ago

Patricia, it took mine at least 4 years, but that was in part because I moved it three times, poor thing.
    However, I think my third one is about 3 years old now. It took 'til this spring to get to the top of its arbor, but it's really ramping up nowadays, and heading for the sunshine on the other side of the arbor.

Jeri

• setigera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well guys, what is it, a climber or giant octopus? I wish to let it do its thing, whatever that is???

• User
    16 years ago

In Zone 6? I doubt it......mine died of frost damage in zone 8a. Temps below 20F and it will suffer badly. Temps below 12F and its DEAD.

• kernel_z9b
    16 years ago

SGMC grows at an accelerating pace for the first 3 years. From then on it starts sending out long arching canes. More for the next few years. A great feature about SGMC is that it doesn't mind being pruned and shaped.

Do let it get big!

Da Kernel

• williamcartwright
    16 years ago

My two, which were barely more than rooted cuttings this spring, are now growing with great vigor. Most exciting!

Thank you so much for your efforts in getting this most special rose out into the world Kernel. I cherish mine and look forward with great pleasure to watching them get HUGE.

Bill

• jerijen
    16 years ago

We know someone, btw, who grows it in MI. :-)

Jeri

• stefanb8
    16 years ago

Mine survived the past winter growing in a pot, above ground, below 9 degrees Fahrenheit. However, I decided to give it away after it leafed out because I have extremely limited space and it wasn't quite meeting my peculiar objectives.

• rjlinva
    16 years ago

Mine made it through the first winter in the ground below 12 degrrees F with no dieback..it is a bit slow to get going but it is making it!

Robert

• jean
    16 years ago

I don't know why everyone thinks this rose is so tender. It took temps down to 11 just fine this winter. The one I planted at my old house has been through 3 winters now with no ill effects and it has been though temps in the single digits. I don't think it would much appreciate either prolonged or sudden cold, but a cold snap here and there should be fine.

Jean