Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

A White Lady

jerijen
9 years ago

I think everyone loves the beautiful "Sweetheart Rose: -- 'Mlle. Cecile Brunner.' I wanted to grow the bush form, which blooms pretty much continuously -- but then, I ran across a plant of 'White Cecile Brunner.'

I'd looked for this white sport of 'Mlle Cecile Brunner' for a long time, and thought I'd never find one.

It's exactly the same as the original, but it blooms a creamy white, shaded buff.

I have mine in a terra cotta pot of medium size, and it really can't stay there much longer. Right now, though, it's very happy, and just coming into a big flush of bloom.

'White Cecile Brunner' isn't widely available in the U.S., but you can order it from Burlington Rose Nursery, or Rogue Valley Roses, or Greenmantle.

Trust me -- it's a great rose for our mild-climate gardens.

Comments (16)

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a look at the blooms, in different stages.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

So this is like the smaller shrub form of Cecile. How nice. Great photos.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

I ordered this rose from Roses Unlimited during their sale this year. While my climate is mild most of the year, my summers are like Hades, and this rose thus far seems to be unfazed. It is supposed to be a compact grower too. I have been impressed with it, Little White Pet and Bolero.

Lynn

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it's white, and it has lots of foliage, and the blooms are small. If anything can handle your climate, this would be it. :-)

9 years ago

Yes,

It is fairing very well NOW, which is truly the greatest test for my roses, as it is for so many of us who garden where summers are hot and dry, or just known by those familiar with the actual "climate" here. It is proving to be a great choice. As usual, lovely photos.

Blasted mini Ipad... edit edit edit
    Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 12:46

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It's lovely, Jeri! The plant has a really nice shape to it and the blooms are so sweet!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It will be much bigger, eventually (it HAS to come out of that pot, come winter) but it should maintain a very pleasing habit. And I'm high on anything that has nice, clean, dark green leaves here.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

There's really something magical that happens when Tea meets Polyantha. I noticed this as I was looking up the class, and made my list of favorites -- virtually all had Tea ancestry. For those of us not gardening in the land of endless Summer, this means we get to have a taste of the delicacy and fragrance of the old Teas in roses that can handle Winter.

Jeri, have you grown 'Etoile de Mai'? It and your "white lady" are on my list. I know we're not in the same climate, but I'm wondering how you can compare it to 'White Cecile Brunner'.

:-)

~Christopher

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Christopher, I can verify White Cecile Brunner is at least seed fertile. It doesn't make many, and many it makes don't germinate, but when one does, it's interesting. This is White Cecile Brunner X (Rayon Butterflies X R. Fedtschenkoana). Kim

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

What an imaginative cross, Kim! And thanks for the heads-up. While you're thinking about next year's crosses, perhaps you can include making some new Poly-Teas for everyone -- there aren't enough out there, but the few that exist are quite beautiful and rather hardy and healthy. You have 'Comtesse du Cayla' -- how do you think that would work for a Poly-Tea? I'm thinking 'Perle d'Or' or even 'Sunshine' might pair well with it.

:-)

~Christopher

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Way ahead of you, Christopher. Not to hijack the thread, but there are seedlings using Fedtschenkoana and Hugonis with Comtesse du Cayla and Ping Dong Yue Ji. Not that others weren't attempted. These are the known "takes", Kim

• windeaux
    9 years ago

Aha . . . I think this thread may have enabled me to ID a mislabeled rose I received from Greenmantle 2 seasons ago. Thanks, Jeri, for the post, the photos and the reference to Greenmantle.

9 years ago

Kim,

That White Cecile Brunner X (Rayon Butterflies X R. Fedtschenkoana)
    IS gorgeous!!! I love it!!! The flower... The foliage....epitomizes what I have been unsuccessfully searching for.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 15:39

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Lynn isn't that a fun bloom shape. It reminds me of a starfish

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry Christopher -- I have not. And at this stage of the game, with the limited water available in the forseeable future, I won't be able to add many things to my garden.

Rather, some roses are leaving, to make room for Foundlings I want to preserve in my lifetime.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thank you, Lynn. I'll have to repot that one to push it to see how big it should get. That is a quart pot it's planted in. The seedling germinated spring 2013 and was transplanted from the seedling table this January-ish, so it's been in the quart pot for about six or so months. Kim