Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roseseek

Dr. Jackson

roseseek
10 years ago

I visited a friend along the coast yesterday. I always admire this rose when visiting for its amazing sepals (I'm a definite sepal fan), large fruit and intense RMV. It is an early introduction Hortico plant, purchased from them when they first offered the variety, before anyone else had it. The sepals and fruit size are awe inspiring for a rose. The heavy RMV is actually rather attractive with the Ampelopsis. Kim

{{gwi:294460}}
{{gwi:294461}}
{{gwi:294462}}
{{gwi:294463}}
{{gwi:294464}}
{{gwi:294465}}
{{gwi:294466}}
{{gwi:294467}}

Comments (11)

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi Kim: I saw exactly the same yellowing mosaic pattern in my neighbor's rose ... she has several hybrid teas, only one was affected, so it's NOT the soil. Hers is quite severe, 5/6 of the plant is affected.

Thanks for posting those pics., so people would know how RMV look like. If I have time, I'll take a pic. of my neighbor's rose.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

AWESOME sepals! Does 'Red Coat' have those sepals?? I don't recall them.

Interesting that this is an Austin rose, sold through Hortico, with this level of virus.

The other roses I've seen with that much virus displayed were a pair of own-root plants of Austin's 'The Dark Lady.'

They were sold by Heirloom, in OR -- propagated from a mother plant imported directly from Austin in England. (I ascertained that, when I reported the virused plants to Heirloom.)

So much for the whole business of own-root plants propagated from European imports being virus-free, eh?

Jeri

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Red Coat's sepals were never this exaggerated in Newhall. Red Coat also flowered year round where Dr. J. is once flowering. Yes, that level of virus has always irritated me. SUPPOSEDLY it shouldn't have occurred, but knowing how Hortico glommed on to material from previous customers, who knows how it happened?

I study that plant each time I visit there. The sepals ARE amazing and I love the heavy, huge fruit set. I just wish it repeated, had a brighter, richer color and didn't have that infection. Kim

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I've always admired Dr. Jackson. I finally got a cutting from Anne Belovich last summer.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

I rather thought I'd remember sepals like that, if I'd seen them. R.C. was an indifferent grower in our garden (and we were far less "tough love" back then) but those might have been enough to persuade us to keep it.

Jeri

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Kim

Those sepals rival the ones I posted on the Weirdest Things thread! Maybe my rose is the alter ego of your friend's--Dr. Jackson and Mr. Thrive. A number of my roses seemed to produce extra long sepals this year. Weather, do you think?

Dr. J's RMV is truly spectacular, and unlike viruses involved in the early tulip craze, it probably isn't causing much harm but it adds significant visual interest. The RMV is nice with the porcelainberry. I'm rather enjoying my virused(?) clematis foliage.

Carol

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It probably is the weather creating the sepals this year, Carol. I bought the particular plant of Secret's Out I grow because it had the most marvelous sepals of the bunch available. I'd grown Secret from its introduction year and really enjoyed it. When very nicely fed, with lots of water and then pushed by just enough heat, it can have incredible sepals. I'm hoping it will pass on that proclivity. I'm considering begging some self set hips from Dr. J to see if any self seedlings might retain those sepals, repeat its flowering and perhaps be more dwarf. One can dream! At least the seedlings shouldn't have the "attractive foliage patterns." Kim

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

I'm glad you're breeding for long sepals. One of my favorite rose features!

Carol

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It seems a losing battle, Carol, but I keep going in untested directions in hopes of finding a good plant with great sepals. Here are some to enjoy. Only two are named and really garden ready. April Mooncrest is my earlier attempt. It's developed into a vigorous, repeat flowering, nicely scented, healthy climber.
    {{gwi:294468}}

{{gwi:294469}}

Dawn Crest is an un introduced Ralph Moore rose which he felt had too little cresting. Fortunately, he shared it so it isn't lost. Also highly scented, healthy, vigorous and repeat flowering. Dawn Crest would be more of a repeat flowering rambler (smaller flowered) where April Mooncrest is a large flowered climber or very vigorous shrub.
    {{gwi:294470}}
    Mr. Moore was after sepals more like this. C-04 is not a good plant and the flower lacks much, but those sepals!
    {{gwi:294471}}
    {{gwi:294472}}
    {{gwi:294473}}
    The most promising seedling along those lines so far this year is this one. I created a thread on the RHA about it. Instead of breeding directly for the sepals at the expense of plant quality, as Sequoia seemed to have done, I'm breeding with the healthiest possible parents and selecting for the better sepals.Kim
    {{gwi:294474}}

Here is a link that might be useful: First Impression X April Mooncrest

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Kim, those are some impressive sepals. April Mooncrest is a lovely rose. The sepals in the last photo are more refined than Moore's lettuce leaf sepals but wonderful in their own right, and the health of a plant is ultra important! By the by, Christopher is sending me one of your rooted cuttings as soon as it's ready to ship. I traded Indigo for DLFED 3.

Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 19:18

• roseseek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Carol. I hope DLFED 3 does well for you. It's growing in The Netherlands and appears to be fine. I love how "mossy" this one is. Kim