I am awaiting her arrival.

Do you know what she likes?
Is she a heavy feeder?
growth rate, slow or fast?

listen to her, then talk

Comments (8)

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Mine is one of the most robust roses I've ever grown. i nicknamed her The Lettuce Factory for all the canes and large leaves. I don't know if she is particularly a heavy feeder. I feed and water my roses well in general. For me she blooms in flushes. It seemed like she grew swiftly, but I've seen others less vigorous. She can get a little rust. Mine is 6 feet tall and 5 feet wide.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

She grew well over my head, and was disease-free, but all of her blooms were up around 7-ft.

At the Stagecoach Inn, not far from here, she's wound on a tripod, which forced her to bloom, at a local level. Much better.

Jeri

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Very healthy, tends to get tall and lanky with canes growing mostly from the bottom, not much branching, very bare at the base, repeats 2-3 times over the season. I prune the canes to varied heights to add a bit of fullness to the shape, then plant something else in front of it. I think it is an excellent rose and would not hesitate to include it in a no-spray garden. I never tried growing it on a tripod. It's not a bad idea, though the canes are a bit stiff for that kind of treatment.

• User
    10 years ago

I ordered a band of Yolande once a long time ago and received it in late fall. I planted it directly into the ground as we usually have very mild winters. Unfortunately it was a very cold, very rainy winter that year, and Yolande didn't leaf out in the spring. I think she drowned because the area I had planted her in was very low and under water for weeks.

I was disappointed because I never got to see a bloom.

The canes were incredibly thick and stiff. I can't imagine trying to bend them, so I'm guessing young canes are more pliable?

I can't speak from experience, but I IMAGINE that as vigorous as she is reported to be that she'd respond well to heavy pruning. So I think I'd be cutting lots of flowers for vases.

Let us know how yours does because I think I might try her again soon.

• ms. violet grey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the insight about Yolande.
    I will give her sufficient space.

The description about thick & stiff canes reminds me of Madame
    Isaac Pereire. She hardly blooms.

• taoseeker
    10 years ago

I live in a different climate, but Yolande d'Aragon generously puts out flowerbuds (a bit of fertilzier). I don't know if it matters in your area, but flowerbuds open fine even if it rains. She didn't grow much last year when she was planted, and not much this spring, but now after the first flush there are several new shoots from the base and sprouting well on existing canes.

• jerijen
    10 years ago

We tried hard pruning.
    All that happened was that there was NO bloom, until she got up to her preferred 7-ft.

She was very disease-free for us (which is why she remained here for years).

The folks at the Inn wind the young canes, very carefully, without a lot of drastic bending, and it does produce blooming laterals. If I were to grow her again, I would do that.

Jeri