Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One Lousy Falstaff

Posted by SFV4Life 10a/20 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 17:39

Here is the only bloom I've gotten out of two of these all year. Just cut them back again, as they were starting to cane out.

I shouldn't have called this plant a "dog," though. Desmond resents it.

Just for laughs,
Sylvia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One Lousy Falstaff

He is stingy, but the few blooms I get from it are beautiful.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 12:35

Are they new plants? I hope the mature into bloomers for you! Desmond is a sweetie!

o

Buford, I know Falstaff's reputation for stinginess ... now. I never said it wasn't beautiful, only that there was just one of them!

Seil, I bought the Falstaffs last October from a local wholesale-ish nursery - they were in 5-gallon pots and were enormous. After a few blooms (2 or 3), I let them sit for a while and then pruned them ruthlessly in January. After a bit of a spurt in the spring, they sat ... and sat ... and sat. The Alnwicks in front of them quickly became a foot taller (and were covered in blooms, too). A few weeks ago, the Fs began to grow, but showed no buds. One day I was out there sadly mooning around and saw a spot of red far, far down on the bush -- and there was this lovely, lonely bloom. No warning beforehand, no new growth: suddenly it was just there.
And then it was gone.
Desmond accepts the compliment. He's used to them.
Sylvia

o

• Posted by Soncna 9a Slovenia (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 16:44

My Falstaff was planted last year. This afternoon I decided that is one of my favourite roses. It has large, beautiful flowers. It produces much more blooms than Munstead wood. In spring I pruned it only slightly, and now is at least 150 cm tall.

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 18:36

It must like Slovenia. Here it produces about 6 blooms a year, every one exquisite. Just not enough of them.

o

Sadder but wiser. Again.

o

• Posted by Soncna 9a Slovenia (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 16:25

Austin roses like my Mediterranean microclimate (there are Alps in different part of the country). And this year we have rain all the time, so most of my DA roses are always in bloom (except Munstead wood and English garden). Wedgwood rose, Heritage and St. Swithun are covered in blooms. But for me Falstaff has the most beautiful bloom form, rich colour and fragrance. And luckily produces more than 6 blooms a year :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here