Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

July -- 'Rosa moschata' begins

AquaEyes 7a NJ
9 years ago

I noticed earlier today that flower buds are forming on my 'Rosa moschata' (single-form) and 'Reverend Seidel', which makes for nice timing, being as many of the Bourbons and HPs are between flushes right now. As I remember last year (their first year as bands), once these two roses started blooming, they pretty much kept going until frost. Apparently, mine are a bit behind those at the Peggy Rockefeller Rose Garden, which I'll ascribe to their youth and having to be cut back so hard after Winter. In any case, it's nice to know I'll be smelling them very soon.

:-)

~Christopher

Here is a link that might be useful: Summertime roses offer sights and scents

Comments (4)

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    9 years ago

Good to hear about your R. moschata (I'm not familiar with the Reverend)...R.m. is on my list for my long-planned front garden. I'm hoping to get it to go upwards up a big thick pillar and along the top a bit, don't know if that'll work, but I have seen pictures of it apparently cascading over an arch, with its lower parts bare. It looked all gorgeously wild-dreamy-beautiful, and of course one can only imagine the smell...! It's by no means a showy flower, but the overall effect - visual & olfactory - is what enchants me. How much this has to to with bucolic fantasies of Elizabethan England, complete with Will the Bard having a rest in a flower-besprinkled meadow while walking between Stratford-on-Avon and LondonTown, I cannot say.... :-) It sounds as if the timings are working out well for you; knowing it to be a late starter, I too was hoping it would fill that gap, during that period here when most things, very sensibly, like to take a little siesta over the hottest part of summer. Last year we hit 46C - Aaarrgghh!! Now I too am considering a possible summer hibernation period, seems like a good plan to me...

• malcolm_manners
    9 years ago

R. moschata (Graham Thomas's original) was beginning to flower at Mottisfont Abbey last week -- early for that climate, I'd think.

This year, our Rev. Seidel were 3=4 weeks later than the R. moschata, which were their usual 2-3 weeks after the Hybrid Teas.

As you say, once they start, they tend to be continuous-flowering until winter or pruning stops them.

• patrickd_nc
    9 years ago

My 2-year old Rev Seidel has had a few blooms on it for a little more than a week now. It's really growing like crazy. I love the foliage. What differences do you see or smell with r moschata?

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

As I remember from last year (neither of mine have opened yet -- just buds forming now), 'R. moschata' and "Secret Garden Musk Climber" had about the same type of scent -- strong clove. "Darlow's Enigma" had what is ironically called the "typical musk scent" which I find also on 'Marie Pavie' (Polyantha) and 'Bubble Bath' (Hybrid Musk). 'Reverend Seidel' smelled, to me, as though someone made a bouquet of 'R. moschata' and "Darlow's Enigma" -- it's like a mix of both. Vintage Gardens believes it to be a seedling of 'R. moschata' pollinated by 'The Garland', which has 'R. multiflora' as a parent, and is where the "typical musk scent" of Polyanthas and Hybrid Musks originated.

As far as looks, the two young plants appear rather similar, with a few differences. 'R. moschata' has slightly larger leaves, and seems to want to grow taller. 'Reverend Seidel' is a bit more densely foliated and "bushy". Even though 'R. moschata' gets a bit less sun where it's planted, which contributes to differences in habit, I also noticed these differences last year as they were growing-on in pots in full-sun. One final difference is the flowers -- those on 'R. moschata' have petals more reflexed and clusters are less tight, while those on 'Reverend Seidel' are more rounded and clusters a bit more dense.

:-)

~Christopher