Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

growquest

jerijen
10 years ago

Remember GROWQUEST???

I think they set a record for customer complaints, when they were doing business in Visalia.

I hadn't heard any more about them, but they popped up today in a small article in the Ventura Co. Star. The owner of the business, one Christopher Morgan Gilcrest, finally got himself tossed in the pokey (where he doubtless belongs).

Seems that when he was run out of Tulare County, in 2006, he migrated down here, and re-established himself in Santa Paula (Ventura Co., CA). "Google" GROWQUEST and you'll find a huge volume of complaints. Same sort of fraudulent operations he was conducting in Visalia. (He's also been operating without a business license.)

The V.C. District Attorney's been on his tail, and he finally blew it bigtime.

Sold 65 rose bushes to someone up in Napa Co. Delivered 'em, too (practically a first for Gilcrest). BUT he hadn't bothered to have them inspected before taking them up there, and this County is under quarantine, because of glassy-winged sharpshooter.

When the recipient of the roses tried to have Napa Co. inspect 'em, the whole thing came out.

Gilcrest was was ordered to serve 10 days in the Ventura County work release program and was placed on 36 months of summary probation. He was ordered to pay $2,335.00 in restitution, to pay a $500.00 fine, and not operate without a license.

I hope this puts him out of business permanently. It probably will in Ventura Co., but I wouldn't be surprised to see him pop up somewhere else.

Jeri

Comments (15)

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I've never heard of it. It seems particularly despicable to be scamming people with plants.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Jeri

I tripped over Growquest and Gilcrest when searching for hard-to-locate hybrid tea roses for clients' gardens. Growquest claims to sell EVERYTHING! The site was too slick and odd and the inventory sounded too good to be true, so I never placed an order (in spite of some faux? positive reviews at the time). I was curious about Growquest, though, and kept online tabs on the business and the owner. One unsatisfied Growquest customer even went so far as to post a YouTube video. It was hilarious! The customer/filmmaker (who had repeatedly attempted to contact Growquest regarding unfulfilled orders) traced his steps in search of an actual--that is, nonvirtual--nursery and business site. He mapquested the business address and then drove there. I wonder if the video is still posted? It was created along the lines of Michael Moore's Roger and Me. "Where is Gilcrest? Is it possible to make contact with the man behind the curtain and voice my concerns? Will I ever see justice?"

Thank you for the update, Jeri. In terms of consequences and justice for all those with grievances, I am relieved. Growquest makes me nuts! It reminds me of the seller on eBay who advertises cobalt blue and rainbow-colored rose seeds.

Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 4:59

• Tuggy3
    10 years ago

Thanks Jeri. That's good news.

Been watching and hoping for years. Several friends were cheated by him. He never attempted to send a single rose and he kept all the money. I think he will be back because he seems indomitable. I don't know how he's gotten away with this for so long. The Dave's Garden website reviews are mostly extremely negative. Mary

• jerijen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol will be happy (I think) to know that the Anti-GROWQUEST video is still up on YouTube. For those who are curious, you'll find it at the link below.

There's some angry discussion at:
    http://eclecticprogressive.wordpress.com/2012/02/26/chris-gilcrest-of-growquest-growers-is-a-fraud/

and an earlier VC Star article at:
    http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/apr/08/santa-paula-web-based-nursery-subject-of-of/#ixzz2Y11VQknJ - vcstar.com

I'm afraid Mary's right, and his permanent disappearance is too much to hope for.

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: GROWQUEST FRAUD VIDEO

• fogrose
    10 years ago

GladI never ran into him.

Diane

• roseseek
    10 years ago

IIRC, this is the "gentleman" who was stealing plants from Sequoia at night. Carolyn would find whole flats of things she'd propagated missing from the green houses. In short order, they would automagically appear on Groquest's site. "Despicable" is too kind a word for cretins like Gilcrist.

Carol, just as dishonest are the EBay sellers who offer seeds, cuttings and plants to US customers even though they are off shore, over seas. They usually do include all restrictions and regulations are the customer's responsibility, but you can bet the vast majority have no idea what's involved, nor even how to go about finding out. Those sellers get the money and often the USDA gets the material, leaving the clueless buyer without both. Kim

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Stealing from Sequoia?! Okay, that's beyond low.

Yes, that eBay seller seems to be overseas. After repeatedly flagging the ad, I engaged in a search in an attempt to pinpoint the origin.

Grrrrrrrr.

Carol

This post was edited by PortlandMysteryRose on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 5:00

• jerijen
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah, Kim -- I was trying to remember exactly what it was that creep was doing re. Sequoia. Thanks for the reminder. After the trouble he'd already caused, I'm really glad they caught him on the Napa thing.

Maybe we can chase him out of Ventura Co.

Jeri

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

Oh yes, I remember a little about them...pretty much the message was 'STAY AWAY'.

• mlaiuppa
    9 years ago

10 days wasn't enough.

And that 36 months probation? For what? He's still scamming people and stealing their money. So what is the use of probation?

I wonder where he got the money to pay the fines. Probably cranked up the scamming big time.

Why can't they put his derriere in prison for all the complaints lodged with the Ventura D.A. and all the money he's scammed from people? Each may be small but add it all up and it would be grand larceny.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I suppose because (as a Fire Captain told me, last night) the D.A.'s office -- like most these days -- has a limited budget.

They do what they CAN do with what they have -- prosecute the murderers, and let such "small fish" continue to get away with it.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

My friend actually got roses from him, well she bought the extra her friend got from him. I suppose it helps to actually know the guy when buying from him. (Near Antelope Valley-guessing their sheriff has more to do too)

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Well it's about time he spent some time in jail! I'm one of the horror stories in the Growcrest saga. It was a long while back now and thankfully I've forgotten the details but I'll never forget that name and ALWAYS warn anyone attempting to do business with them off, loudly and strongly! All I remember is the grief, anguish, pain, stress and loss they put me through. I hope he suffers the same!

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I'm sorry Sharon! Personally, with the crap this miscreant has pulled, i seriously doubt he has any shame, nor is able to feel embarrassment. He was the cause of Sequoia having to re arrange their operation so all saleable stock was far enough in the back, making it more difficult and inconvenient for them, so the stock couldn't be stolen at night. Mr. Moore was deaf and had macular degeneration. He couldn't hear nor see anything going on outside his front door. Newly propagated plants, which Sequoia alone offered, would disappear one night only to reappear on this jerk's web site for sale. He was just down the road from them and knew he had a license to steal. He simply moves from one area to the next and seems to always find "fresh meat". If you visit "Gave's Darden", whose name isn't permitted to be posted here, and search Growquest, you'll find negative reports about him as recently as two weeks ago. Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Makes me wonder just what nursery lost the stock that my friend got. I think the only reason that order was filled was because the person purchasing them was a friend of his. My friend just bought the extra because plants were bigger than the buyer had expected (go figure that one) Guessing some one is wondering where their row of Yves Piaget plants went too.