Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help ID white climber, once bloomer

Posted by hemnancy z8 PNW (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 18:10

I hope someone can help me with a name for this once-blooming very prolific and strong rose, small white flattened blooms, pink buds. Someone ran into my support posts with a trailer and so it is flopping. It is so heavy, I hope I can get it back up after it stops blooming.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Climber

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help ID white climber, once bloomer

Could it be the damask Madame Hardy?

Jackie

o

*** Looks like 'Mme. Plantier.'

Jeri

o

Second vote for Mme. Plantier, pink buds, then I looked at the photo, green buttons, check out helpmefind.

I have two roses almost exactly like it that I rooted, they look the same but don't have pink buds. Yes, I hope you can get it supported again, sounds like it's extremely vigorous in your part of the country.

o

As soon as I saw your pretty photo, I knew it was Madame Hardy, I took a photo of my friends Madame Hardy a few years ago and it looked just like yours. Here it is.

Madame Hardy

o

Hardy and Plantier are similar, but Plantier's foliage is very distinctive. See it here, in an old NoCal Cemetery:

Photobucket

Jeri

o

I had Mme Hardy many years ago, and she was a bush, not a climber....she was crushed by heavy equipment during barn construction, but I ordered her from Rogue Valley this spring, band looking good!

o

I looked at the photos, it does look more like Mme Hardy, but help me find says it has thorns while Mme Plantier is thornless, as is my rose, so I think I will go with MP. Thanks! The size also seems more similar.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 21:14

'Hardy' is taller, with more erect growth and larger parts. The above photo of the comparatively short and quite arching 'Plantier' being viewed by the man is quite characteristic.

o

Mme Plantier will definitely climb if given a support and trained that way. I, too, think that is your rose. The foliage is dull and gray-green, showing some Alba heritage. Mme Hardy is brighter green. I also think that MP has more clustering flowers, showing the Noisette in its background.

"The man" in Jeri's photo is THE man, her husband Clay, in case anybody wants to know. It's a little hard to recognize him without a long-haired Dalmation in tow.
Anita

o

There's also the fragrance. 'Mme. Plantier's is distinctive, very rich and soft, and it wafts on the air for yards around. The plant will definitely make a climber or massive trailing shrub, much larger than 'Mme. Hardy' in my experience, though that may depend on where you live. I don't know how common MP is in the Pacific Northwest, but the house I bought in Olympia, Washington, had several plants of it growing in the yard.
Melissa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here