Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

daphne odora alba

jacqueline9CA
9 years ago

Forgive me - off topic - I am posting this on here because folks on this forum know everything, and are responsive. I am trying to find this daphne. We had an ordinary daphne odora, which has pink flowers, growing in our garden for 30 years. It recently died, and my DH wants to replace it with a white flowering daphne odora. Problem is, I cannot find it in any nursery in Marin County - several of them have the pink version.

So, do any of you grow daphne, or this one? I am beginning to be suspicious why the the white blooming version is not available - perhaps it is more difficult to grow or propagate?

If anyone has any idea about a mail order nursery I could order it from, I would appreciate it.

Jackie

Comments (9)

• smithdale
    9 years ago

Joy Creek Nursery has 2 white daphnes, neither is odora but both are fragrant & bloom early, one gets to be 14'feet tall & the other 4'. I have bought plants from them for years & have found them to be very reliable & their nursery in Oregon is beautiful. Jane

• smithdale
    9 years ago

Joy Creek Nursery has 2 white daphnes, neither is odora but both are fragrant & bloom early, one gets to be 14'feet tall & the other 4'. I have bought plants from them for years & have found them to be very reliable & their nursery in Oregon is beautiful. Jane

• cath41
    9 years ago

Jackie,

Greer Gardens lists it but is sold out. Goodness Grows also lists it but you will have to check with them because it looks like they may not ship. I can't tell for sure with a quick peek. I have not bought from either of them but recognize their names. However, IIRC Forest Farms did at one time carry it although it is not now listed in their catalog. In the past they have gotten me a plant that they used to grow but that was not listed in the current catalog. I do not know if they would or could but it might be worth contacting them.

Cath

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I have 5 or 6 daphnes, but the flower buds on all of them got zapped by unusually cold weather here, so some didn't bloom- the ones that did were pink. Mine were locally grown, so that's no use to you.

If the leads above don't pan out, here's another long shot. There's a wholesale nursery in GA that grows DO, and while it's not likely that they sell to nurseries in your area, it's possible that they may still be able to give you a lead on where to look. Link below...

Good luck,
    Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: County Line Nursery

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Goodness, I feel as if I were on an Easter Egg hunt! Thank you for all of the suggestions. You are all correct - I checked Joy Creek, Greer Gardens, Goodness Grows, and the County Line Nursery. All either do not carry it, do not ship to the West Coast (or at all), or are out.

I will call the County Line Nursery and IIRC Forest Farms next week after the holiday. Thanks very much for the assistance - I had never heard of any of these nurseries, and some of them look lovely.

Jackie

• cath41
    9 years ago

Jackie,

The IIRC just means "if I remember correctly". I should know better than to show off my (non-existent) tech knowledge. The Nursery's name is Forest Farm. I do know some nursery that I have dealt with had it and I think it was Forest Farm.

Cath

• jacqueline9CA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Cath, I did find Forest Farm on the internet - they have lots of daphnes, but not this one - I will call them on Monday and see if they really do have any.

Jackie

• luxrosa
    9 years ago

My mom grew daphne odora alba and I have fond memories of it.
    I've seen it sold in two local nurseries, you might try calling them to see if it is in stock:
    Thornhill nursery in Montclair (510) 339-1311
    and East Bay nursery 510) 845-6490 which sold this wonderful plant for a fraction of the price as Thornhill.
    I saw one quart sized plant for 8 bucks, one year.

Good luck, God bless,
    Lux.

• anitasacramento
    9 years ago

White ones grow at the UC Davis Arboretum. They are really big, healthy plants. I don't know if they offer it during their plant sales but it's possible. The more common pink 'Aureomarginata' is one of their Valley All-Stars but their sales aren't limited to plants on that list.
    Anita

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County