Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catspa_z9_sunset14

Photo tour of Sacramento Cemetery, April 2010

Considering Ingrid's post, "Posting Pictures of Us", I discovered that I have absolutely no photos of me on my computer, except for one with me in hardhat and safety vest huddled with a bunch of environmental managers over drawings at a construction site -- you wouldn't recognize me, believe me.

However, thinking of where there were photos of me, I remembered this blog entry my husband made of our trip to the Sacramento Cemetery, April 24, 2010. Good grief, I'm sure I've never thought to post it and there are a ton of photos taken by my husband -- many whole-plant and quite a few of roses discussed here frequently and recently -- that some (trapped inside by the heat, perhaps!) may enjoy. (Josh, photos of Mlle. de Sombreuil are Figures 76 and 77 -- note that my husband elevated her to a "Mme" in the captions -- sigh.) Also, the photo record of my first meeting with, and close inspection of, "Vina Banks" is here, whom, by the way, I would fatefully meet again at the Vintage sale table at the Celebration of Old Roses this year.

Below is the link for the photos. Most of the photos are labeled with the rose names, but some I couldn't recognize or remember, so if you can provide a name (or correct a name!), I would be glad.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sacramento Cemetery photos, April 24, 2010

Comments (13)

• fogrose
    10 years ago

catspa, thanks so much for posting. Always a pleasure to revisit the Sacramento Cemetery. Truly a California treasure. Hooray for Anita and all the volunteers.

Diane

• nancylee2
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh. Lovely pics and the full bush photos are so appreciated. I will return to many times to make sure that the babies I purchased this year will have enough room. I especially want to locate Surfrider as Jim has surfed now for 50 years! My favorite of the pics is Portland from Glendora. Thanks for sharing.

• zeffyrose
    10 years ago

Diane---thank you so much for all these fantastic pictures----It is especially wonderful to me because I doubt I will ever get to see it in person
    Florence

• jannorcal
    10 years ago

Great photos! They look familiar, did you post them previously?

Figure 1 is the rose labeled in the cemetery as Rodologue Jules Gravereaux but is probably actually Jean Bach Sisley.

Fig 17a/18 is Alba Odorata climbing an almond tree

Fig 31 Sarah's Grandmother is the found name for a plant of Blush Noisette

Fig 47 is Monsieur Tillier from a different angle

Fig 50 Hooper Family Legacy is likely Hermosa

Fig 54/55 is another plant of Alba Odorata climbing a juniper

Fig 62 is a mixture of Blush Noisette and Reve d'Or, 63 is Blush Noisette (I think that this is the same plant that is labeled Sarah's Grandmother)

Fig 105 is probably R. Multiflora - it is MUCH larger now. Might have a more specific cultivar name, but it is definitely multiflora.

Janelle

• annesfbay
    10 years ago

That was wonderful--thank you! Btw, your photo comes up on a google search for GH.

Anne

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Thanks for the visit to one of my favorite places. :-)

Jeri

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

Fabulous! One of these years I am determined to be less busy so I can go on a rose garden tour. I was happy to see many of the roses I have purchased in the last few years, I can't wait until mine grow up. Of course I had to add a few more to my list of roses to get in the future, how could I not? ;o)

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Peachymomo and nancylee, always glad to let people know about roses they never even knew they wanted. : ) Sacramento Cemetery inspires unbridled lust in me, for sure. Lady Roberts -- sigh -- and Surf Rider, and a dozen others, at least. Whole-plant photos of mature plants: good reality check, if heeded (self-deception a central human trait, according to a new book I just looked over at the library -- reminding me that I need to study that Portland from Glendora photo more closely and review my siting decision...).

Jan, thank you very, very much for the IDs and notes so we can fill in the blanks. Boy, that sure is a pink Alba Odorata -- but I see HMF lists both yellow center and pink center and mine is the yellow, I guess. The blossom shapes are similar.

I haven't posted these photos before -- they are on my husband's computer, so I have no real access (it's not that I'm forbidden, but it is the weirdly set up computer of a physicist and this techno-incompetent doesn't go anywhere near that thing), and the web site was made before I joined the forum, but I think Anne has a clue. The photos on the site do show up on Google searches -- I looked up Grandmother's Hat images and there I was -- thanks, Anne!

Florence -- glad you liked the tour! Sometimes photos are better. I remember that on my very first visit to the cemetery, the temperature was literally 114 degrees F -- just another balmy Central Valley summer day. And, you know what, there were still great-looking roses there, even then.

One of my very favorite places, too, Jeri and Diane. The grounds and roses (a marvelous collection of those, to boot) are wonderfully well-cared for -- thank you, Anita and crew, for sure.

• cemeteryrose
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for posting these. It's a reminder of how beautiful the roses are during peak bloom, and how gardens change, for better and worse. Dr. Hinman is gone - a victim of various assaults with weedeaters and irrigation problems and then one day, there was a hole in the ground where the plant was! Strange things happen in a public garden, but fortunately Gregg took cuttings of the plant and I was able to get one from him (Vintage) as a replacement, which we will put into a safer (we hope) spot in the garden. Renae finally gave up, suffering from growing against the south-facing granite mausoleum. Other roses look better than ever today.

The pink rose going up into the trees is"Odorata," a Chinese tea rose that has been used there and in America as an understock, not 'Alba Odorata,' a hybrid bracteata.

We are going to try to propagate Surf Rider because so many people love this rose, and it's just not available commercially.

The multiflora is the thornless one - R. multiflora inermis - it was huge until a few weeks ago when several of us cut it back to get it back onto its archway. It blew over during the spring storms, and I plan to put another set of rebar arches under it soon to provide better support. When we were tying it back up, another volunteer (organictosca) said that it looked like we were battling a giant sea monster!

We let the roses grow very big in the cemetery, and many of them would stay in more manageable shapes and sizes if you pruned them more assertively. I have a Perle d'Or in my garden that is about five feet tall and wide, unlike the cemetery's monsters that are at least seven by ten. My Portland from Glendora/Aunt Sally/Joasine Hanet is also smaller than the cemetery's, out of necessity.

It is such a pleasure to volunteer in this garden, with my other rose garden friends, and to share it with rose lovers everywhere.
    Anita

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

I believe it is one of the world's great gardens. I would hate the thought of missing it in the spring. Sacramento blooms more than a month ahead of my garden. It seems like walking into a dream.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Thank you for this tour, which was more comprehensive than most I've seen of this wonderful garden, with some beautiful roses I wasn't familiar with and some, like Lady Hillingdon, that I'd never seen bloom so beautifully before. I completely agree with Pam; to me it's the most beautiful rose garden I've ever seen depicted anywhere. I'm so grateful you posted this.

Ingrid

• brenda_l_w
    10 years ago

Thank you catspa for your photos not only of blooms but of the entire plants. Before I scrolled down to see the names, the photos of Hooper Family Legacy AKA Hermosa and Grandmother's Hat inspired an I WANT THAT reaction. Luckily I already have those two :) Unfortunately, I feel the same way towards Old Town Novato, which is a bit harder to find. I'll have to figure out how to get my paws on it somehow.

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

Thank you! They are beautiful!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio