Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
knoxrosetn

What is up with this Crepuscule I received?

KnoxRose z7
9 years ago

Hi all, so in my way too late in the year scramble to find a Crepuscule rose, I ordered one from a nursery that I have never heard of, that just happened to offer it in their small selection of about 15 types of roses, all in gallon size containers. When it came I thought it looked a little strange, but as I have never owned a noisette I just wrote it off as an odd trait of a new variety of rose, so I potted it up in a slightly larger pot and left it alone for a couple of weeks. Upon examining it more thoroughly, I have come to the conclusion that something is not right with this rose, the main stalk is very brown and dry and unhealthy looking. There is a pretty good amount of newer green growth on it and around it, but overall the main cane of this rose looks pretty sad. I have read about "canker" and have seen a couple of very small cankers on a couple of my roses, but I don't think this is the same thing, I could be wrong though. There has also been hardly any new growth on this rose, it has a small little sprig of new reddish growth which is moving along very slowly, but overall it seems to just be sitting there, which surprised me because all I hear about these roses is that they grow quickly. I may be expecting too much from it, it is still new and may be getting used to it's new pot & whatnot, it is just that I have a Benjamin Britten (which I got from Heirloom) sitting nearby, and they have very similar circumstances, I received BB as a 1 gallon, actually a week after I received Crepuscule, they are in the same potting mix, and even in matching pots, in the same sun exposure & water etc, & BB is putting on new growth all over the place. Maybe it isn't fair to compare them because every rose is different, it is just hard not to because they have such similar living situations at the moment.
What do you guys think? What sort of action should I take for this rose?

Thanks for your input!!

Jessica

{{gwi:297216}}

{{gwi:297218}}

{{gwi:297219}}
{{gwi:297221}}

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

That is a very fine looking specimen of 'Crepuscule' - nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

KnoxRose z7 thanked User
  • jerijen
    9 years ago

Lovely Crepuscule. Well-grown and healthy. Congratulations!

KnoxRose z7 thanked jerijen
  • muscovyduckling
    9 years ago

That looks like all the Crepuscules grown round here :) Wait til it starts blooming and you won't be worrying about the funny old brown canes anymore!

KnoxRose z7 thanked muscovyduckling
  • rosefolly
    9 years ago

I myself would probably prune off the short stub that is dead halfway up the cane, and also the higher short stub that is split, even though it does have a small sprout growing out of it.

But that is just me. I like tidy.

Folly

KnoxRose z7 thanked rosefolly
  • AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

When I got bands last year, a few had this "odd" look -- and as I think of it now, all of those were of roses that grow as climbers. If you think about how the outer tips of climbers look, you'll recognize that brown piece as coming from 1-2 year old wood, perhaps from a lateral. It's like rooting cuttings of a tree -- you'll be using the outer tips rather than any thick stems from further down. And on a climber, those "outer tips" will seem far "twiggier" than the ends of an often-pruned shrub.

When it starts to grow, it's as though the cells are still "programmed" to grow the way they would at the tips of the climber. Those thin bits of new growth will feed the plant, and then when it has the reserves to do so, it will push a new, thick cane from the roots, looking more like the substantial growth at the base that you expect to see. THEN it will look like a baby climber, and by next year, you can trim off those thin "feeder stems.

If you're accustomed to bands of shrubbier roses, keep in mind that when they're pruned for cuttings, they'll often be pruning canes. Repeat-blooming climbers, on the other hand, usually have most of their canes left alone, and just their laterals or the tips of the canes trimmed -- and those are the pieces which will be used for cuttings. At least, that's what I noticed with non-climber bands from Heirloom -- and RVR and Long Ago Roses and Vintage Gardens. Most of those bands appeared to have been rooted from cane cuttings, rather than lateral cuttings.

Unfortunately, my 'Jaune Desprez' didn't make it through the crazy Winter we had, but I do still have some pics to show you how mine grew. Here it is the day it arrived, just after I repotted it, April 26, 2013. Doesn't it look like it was a rooted lateral?

{{gwi:297223}}

Here it is again June 2, 2013. I put some tree twigs in the pot for support, but you can still see the original part of the rose. It sprouted a few more leaves, but didn't really grow longer. But those leaves fed the plant, and on the left side you can see a thick, new shoot coming from the roots.

{{gwi:297224}}

Here it is again June 13, 2013. Note that the original piece hasn't grown much, but that thick new shoot sure has.

{{gwi:297225}}

July 8, 2013 -- that new shoot just kept growing, and started branching. The original piece, however, mostly just sat there and fed the plant.

{{gwi:297226}}

{{gwi:297227}}

{{gwi:297228}}

When I planted it and trained it onto a tree (August 10, 2013), all the substantial growth continued from that new thick cane. You can see the original stems did grow a little more, but gradually it faded away.

{{gwi:297229}}

September 6, 2013 -- that thick new cane continued to branch and grow...

{{gwi:297230}}

{{gwi:297232}}

September 28, 2013

{{gwi:297233}}

{{gwi:297234}}

{{gwi:297235}}

My 'Orfeo' and 'Nouveau Monde' grew about the same way -- thin, twiggy original cuttings simply fed the plant, and then new, thick canes shot from the base. If you put a nice mix of organic nutrients into your potting soil, and give your baby plenty of sun and water, you'll soon see more of what you expect as "normal" growth starting fresh from the roots.

Good luck! I wish I still had my 'Jaune Desprez' but I think expecting a newly-planted Tea-Noisette to survive one of the worst Winters in years in an area that was already on the edge of its hardiness was just asking too much. I've since replaced it with 'Baltimore Belle' in the same spot -- which, incidentally, is starting a second flush of flowers now.

:-)

~Christopher

• buford
    9 years ago

What rosefolly said. I would cut that part off.

The lower part is just woody cane, doesn't appear to be canker.

My Crepescule was a slow grower (own root) and finally became the gigantic specimen I wanted. Then we had two successive days below zero and I had to cut it back to the roots because of canker. But it's growing much faster than it did before. The roots are established and healthy. Give it time.

This post was edited by buford on Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 9:05

KnoxRose z7 thanked buford
  • KnoxRose z7
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well..... That's great news! I am so used to looking at bright green canes, when I saw this I wasn't sure if it was just a trait of this type of rose or what to think about it. I tried looking on HMF & Google I couldn't find any photos of canes that looked similar so I assumed something was wrong, I am very happy to find out that is not the case. I will certainly give it a light pruning now that I I've gotten to know it a little better, I also like tidy roses, I was just afraid to do anything before finding out more about it. Thanks so much everyone for reassuring me that I've got a healthy rose!

Jessica

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Crepuscule is one of my favorite roses as well. In fact, I grow two of them. Just in case.

Folly

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living