Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Which noisette rose is better?

Alana8aSC
11 years ago

In your experience which is the better rose blush noisette or bougainville? If anyone grows this rose let me know which is more vigorous and disease resistant? Thanks

Comments (12)

• jill_perry_gw
    11 years ago

In San Jose it's definitely Blush Noisette. But you have a very different climate. If you can go to the park in Charleston with all the Noisettes, you can do a direct comparison.
    Jill

• catsrose
    11 years ago

Again, go to RU, look at the plants, talk to Bill&Pat. It is worth your time to do it right. And, as Jill said, go look at the Noisettes in Charleston. The Noisette was developed in SC!

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks ya'll

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

I had Bougainville in another garden and wasn't so fond of it because the flowers were quite small. However, it was a young rose and I don't know if that would have changed with time. The color was very nice, though.

Ingrid

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ingrid, could you recommend a noisette, thats got beautiful blooms, fragrance, and disease resistace?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

Alana, I wish I could but in my present garden noisettes have fared very poorly because of the extreme heat. Mrs. Wood's Lavender Pink Noisette was a thing of beauty until it began to mildew and never recovered. In my prior garden I didn't stay long enough to see how the noisettes all fared. Secret Garden Noisette, however, did very well there and bloomed almost constantly. The flowers themselves were not that fragrant, if I remember correctly, but the leaves certainly were. This rose is not easy to find and without constant pruning would have become very large. Still, it was a treasure.

Ingrid

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks anyway Ingrid :)

• bart_2010
    11 years ago

I myself am getting very into Noisettes. I love "Boug"; colour is beautiful and it always wants to flower, it seems. I happen to be a big fan of tiny flowered roses, though -de gustibus non disputandum est.Ornement des Bosquets is beautiful, too, but seems to be having some difficulty establishing in my garden (bad soil, perhaps?)Same with Blush Noisette...bart

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

I'm not in your zone, but thought I'd mention that I have found Blush Noisette to be quite sturdy. It's 3-4 feet tall here. It tolerates winter well.

It gets blackspot and drops its leaves in my no-spray garden, however, repeat bloom is good.

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Krista ans Bart, i have blush noisette on the list, thinking about it but it says it's supposed to get big, and I've never heard of boug , have to look it up:)

• barbarag_happy
    11 years ago

Only familiar with Blush Noisette; my plant is about 6 feet by 3 feet wide and repeat blooms very well. You can smell the fragrance anywhere within about 6 feet of the plant which is why I planted it!
    As it matures the clusters are getting larger, and the foliage has consistently been healthy. That's remarkable in our hot, humid climate here at the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp!!

• Alana8aSC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks barbarag happy thats what I think I'm going to get :)