Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Fastest growing Old Garden Rosebushes?

luxrosa
9 years ago

If someone had wished to fill in a garden quickly O.G.R.s, which roses would you suggest?

My favorite class of rose is Tea, a group of slowly growing roses when grown on their own roots, but there are exceptions;
My top 3 fastest growing Old Garden Tea Roses, each grown on their own roots:
Top 3 fastest growing Tea roses;
1A. ( a tie) Mrs. B.R. Cant ( 5 feet of growth, plus a couple inches in 2 and 1/2 years)
1B. Monsieur Tillier ( 5 feet of growth and a few inches, in 2 and 1/2 years) both of these are nearly as wide as they are tall.
Climbing 'Florence Bowers' Pink Tea' 4 feet , 9 inches tall, bought last spring as a band from vintagegardens.com before they closed (n.b I suspect she would be taller but she is crowded next to Mac.)

Other faster growing O.G.R.s:
Portland from Glendora; a beautiful rosebush, pretty leaves and lots of them, with sublime flowers that add rich cerise color to a garden of mostly pale and light colored Teas
Old Rose: cl. Kaiserin Auguste Viktora, 5 feet tall, it was a band sized plant in the spring of 2013.

Snail award for slowest growth: 'Le Pactole' but I still cherish it.
3 and 1/2 years old and almost 3 feet tall.
Marachal Niel took 3 years to grow to be 3 feet tall and then it died. I grieve.

If I were starting over I would buy as many Old Garden Teas on rootstock as I could find, alas they are hard to find.
I have an Alliance Franco-Russe on rootstock that I bought at this years Old Rose Celebration and have great hopes for it .

Thanks for all your help.
Lux.

Comments (10)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Nothing much really grows fast here, but FWIW . . .

That 'Alice Hamilton' we got from Vintage, right at the very end is already almost 4 ft. tall. And blooming, while it's growing. (It's supposed to be a Tea, but this looks like a China to me.)

I have a suspicion that "N 92 Nanjing" is going to do the same thing. (It also looks like a China.)

FWIW.

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

Mrs BR Cant and Mons Tillier are by far the healthiest growers for me. Won Fang Yon I planted this past fall and is quite healthy and growing quickly. Of course, it is related to Mons Tillier so, no wonder!

• catsrose
    9 years ago

Among non-Teas, Chinas and Noisettes are pretty speedy for me and I have real winters. One of my favorite Noisettes is Jeanne d'Arc (from RU, but VG sold it as St. Leonards). She doesn't get too big and is constantly blooming, even those years when the Jap Beets are eating her alive. And another vote for Mons Tiller. Also, Dr. Grill was fast for me.

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

Marie Van Houtte is a tea, and since arriving bareroot last January, she has shot up -- outgrew a 4' trellis and is now working on a 6' one.
    I can't seem to get good shots of the bush, but here is one of her exquisite blooms, from May. The first flush was white/cream, then there were some with pink edges as in the photo; now with summer heat she's more and more allover pink. I love roses that get darker in the heat, instead of lighter!
    I found her in the Rose Encyclopedia where she had a stellar writeup. Now I want more teas since they seem to love this climate ... and by the way, if anyone knows where I can get her mate, Louis Van Houtte (dark crimson), please let me know!
    Thanks,
    Sylvia
    Sylvia

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

The rose that has grown fastest for me as a band is, hands down, Mlle. De Sombreuil. I bought her last autumn and she's at least three feet tall but, best of all, even in the heat now is covered with buds and a few open blooms. Mrs. B.R. Cant has not been at all fast for me and doesn't have enough leaves to protect it from sunburn. Le Vesuve and Rosette Delizy have been reasonably fast and bloom well for me.

Ingrid

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Sylvia - I'm not sure if it's in stock at the moment, but I know that Rogue Valley carries Louis Van Houtte.

Jay

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Alba semi- plena - 6' feet first year :-)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    9 years ago

Thanks Jay - RVR does indeed carry LVH and yes, they are out of stock. Is it November yet??
    Sylvia

• luxrosa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks all, I'll buy one if I can find one, or take cuttings from my neighbors Marie Van Houtte, and a Dr. Grill if I can find one.
    I've not seen 'Alice Hamilton', I'l look for photos on the Internet, but I love all the China-Teas, I've been thinking of getting a Le Vesuve' it is one of my favorite roses, all I need is a place to put it, I've just marked out a 8'X 8' spot for an 'Alliance Franco-Russo'
    I've never had much of a pot ghetto until this year after going to the Old Rose Celebration, and also rooting c. a dozen roses that are now blooming in the Maiden bed. I have many small rosebushes, but what I desire is a lush and full garden like a mini-Sacramento Cemetery garden with rosebushes cascading, , and rambling in great profusion.

I really appreciate all your answers.
    Lux.