Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

best yellow for me?

aimeekitty
13 years ago

Hi, folks! I'm already obsessing about potential choices for next year. Would you have any advice about which of these would be best for me?

I'd prefer one that has good rebloom, fragrance... and hopefully some tolerance for dry heat... and something that's not too hard to deal with...

if you know anything about their sizes in a hot socal area, that would be nice, too.

I'm open to other similar yellow mix suggestions, too.

Crown Princess Margareta

Symphony - I saw this one at Descanso and it was just covered in blooms.

Golden Celebration

Graham Thomas - I've heard it's good in hot weather?

English Garden

Jeri Jennings?

Comments (30)

• jerijen
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think Jeri Jennings prefers some afternoon shade.
    And plenty of water.
    I find that most Hybrid Musks need plenty of water.

But tell us, also, what SIZE of plant you're looking for.

*I grew English Garden years ago, and the blooms were beautiful, but I found the plant to be short, stiff, and upright.
    *Graham Thomas mildewed here, and wanted to be a climber.
    *Golden Celebration is a big, graceful plant that if deadheaded blooms in successive massive flushes, with a rapid repeat. It is not drought-tolerant.

Jeri

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

I saw Crown Princess Margareta at Otto and Sons, a local rose grower. It was in the ground and it was not impressive. It is my favorite Austin in photos, but in our heat it looked pretty sad.
    Renee

• maggiepie_gw
    13 years ago

Golden Celebration would be my choice for yellow. I have GC, GT and CpM.
    CpM starts flowering early, it gets covered with flowers.
    It also repeats well here until the first killing frost, but
    to me, it's more of a peachy/apricot than yellow.
    Forgot to mention that CpM is also very healthy as well as vigorous. A great rose.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Here even in mild weather (low 70's) closer to the coast, 'English Garden' flowers last about 24 hours. It's truly exquisite, but ephemeral. You would have room for it, though, because it's tiny. Mine is 10 years old and is 2' tall and 18" wide. Habit is straight up, no arching.

GC gets huge mine is 8x8.

If you have space I would go with GC as well--in our recent blast of heat the flowers did great.

Symphony the DA version was a good rose here, excellent rust resistance. 4'x4' to 5'x4'. It had the habit of blooming in tight clusters, 10 full sized flowers in a cluster, and the roses would be all jammed together, IMO spoiling their beauty. I always took out the center bud as quick as possible because it gave the rest more space and the clusters looked better. Good rose overall except for that quirk.

Graham Thomas, I've heard from more than one person to be sure to get an own-root, which reblooms well in So Cal. The grafted versions apparently don't.

DA yellows, for rebloom, none is better than 'Molineux'. Mine are about 7' tall and 5' wide.

• ndkk
    13 years ago

I went to visit the gardens at Barona this past weekend to see who withstood the heatwave a couple weeks ago, and Molineaux seemed to fare the best of all the yellows. GC and GT had blooms but Molieaux had the most. Foliage on the yellows all looked good. CPM had no blooms but I might have just missed it's last flush.

I personally like GCs bloom form, color, and fragrance. :)

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I"m flexible on size, though it's better if I could get a smaller plant, probably, so that I have more room for other things.

I wanted a light yellow or a yellow mix (a peachy yellow like Crown Princess Margareta is fine with me, too.) Just something cheerful to go with all my pinks and raspberries.

Molineaux looks lovely to me!

I'm mostly just looking for a not-huge plant that will be heat-tolerant and be happy in my area. It doesn't have to be an AUSTIN either... (Maybe I should be looking at some other yellows in other classes, too.... hmmmmm )

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Charles Darwin is another yellow you might consider, or Julia Child, a floribunda that stays compact and has nice foliage and well-shaped bush.

Ingrid

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

how's the repeat/rebloom on Charles Darwin, Ingrid?

re: Julia Child, I don't really prefer bright yellow/oranges... some photos of Julia show her being pale yellow, others bright orange/yellow...?
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.145621
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.148130
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.145623

(don't know if those links will work or not)

• mashamcl
    13 years ago

Aimee, I have ordered a bunch of yellows from Chamblee's (couldn't resist 1G palnts for $8.95 and no sales tax). I got Amazone (Soncy), Isabella Sprunt and Marechal Niel (which I am going to get grafted later). I am pretty confident IS will be a good rose, I am not sure about Amazone (if it is Alexander Hill Gray, then Jeri didn't have one good thing to say about it:-). You might look at Etoile de Lyon when it becomes available from RVR.

I love Golden Celebration a lot. It is very clean here, great fragrance, I grow it as a climber.

I have two CPMs, good bloom production, clean, good heat tolerance (although I am farther north). They are HUGE and not really well behaved (thick canes in all directions). I can't detect any fragrance (although I am in the minority), but the bloom color and shape are very nice.

Masha

• jerijen
    13 years ago

I like yellow roses, and I confess to having some interest in the 2011 J&P AARS Award-Winner. 'Walking On Sunshine."

I suspect this is the rose we saw at the research facility several years ago -- a handsome plant with excellent foliage and a rich "licorice/myrrh" fragrance, which is NOT related to the Austins. If so, it's of moderate size, and (at least in this part of the country) well worth growing.

As I understand, Weeks Roses will offer it, and I am inclined to give it a try. If it is as good as it looked, and it is the final J&P AARS Award-winner, I think I'd like to give it a try.

Jeri

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Aimee, Julia Child is a golden yellow when the bloom is fresh and fades to a light yellow. I can't tell you about Charles Darwin's blooming ability since I just got mine last September. It did start to bloom right away though, although the blooms when it was really hot were not good. The ones in spring were beautiful though. Maybe neither is the best choice for you after all.

Ingrid

• cemeteryrose
    13 years ago

What about Lady Hillingdon? You have to like that eggyolk shade of yellow - and accept that it's pale in the summer - but whattarose. I truly love mine, and it's a great foil for the other old roses.

Graham Thomas is fine as a climber or pillar (it's very stiff and its canes tend to snap when you try to wrap or peg it), but too big in my garden for a free-standing bush - and it doesn't repeat worth a darn. The Pilgrim was a beautiful pillar at Mottisfont, and I've seen it grown well in Sparks, NV.

Etoile de Lyon is exquisite but not very yellow and not very floriferous for me.

I've never grown Molineux but have heard nothing but good about it and Golden Celebration.
    Anita

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

I think a Buck rose called Prairie Harvest might like your house - it is a pretty thing. there's a nice comment about it on HMF in the member comments section and some lovely pics. Chamblees is a great source for Bucks roses, as well as own root Austins.

I like Julia Child too; hoovb has posted some gorgeous pics of hers that I've seen.

Isabelle Sprunt is a yellow tea that bloomed a lot for me in Alabama, very healthy but gets large, I'll bet in your conditions. Also, pale yellow.

• rosecorgis
    13 years ago

I have a yellow Austin section in my garden. I just love them. Molineaux is a standout! It's yellow with a slight orange tinge. Mine is 3 yrs old, grafted and about 4 1/2 ft tall. It would grow taller but I cut it down some in the winter. Next to it is Carding Mill, a peach colored one, then Charlotte. In spring and fall Charlotte is a beautiful lemon color. In the heat it fades to an almost white but it's still pretty. That one wants to grow about a foot taller than Molineaux. I let it this spring but it flopped over and couldn't hold up the blooms so when the first flush was done I pruned it back hard. Now it's ready to bloom again at about 5 ft. These three (Molineaux, Carding Mill and Charlotte) form a hedge between my house and the neighbor's driveway. In front of them are Lady Emma Hamilton, a vivid orange blend (I love this rose) and a baby band of Symphony. My Symphony is less than a year old now, own root. It's about a 18 inches high. It's about to do it's third flush so it's repeat is great. It stayed healthy through our weird wet spring. The color is pale yellow fading out in heat (like Charlotte but a different shape). All seem to be able to handle my summer heat.

Debbie

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you think any of these climbers are mannerly enough to be pillared or on an obelisk?

I think if I can figure out a spot to fit one more climber, I'll go with GC since so many of you recommend her, even in heat. I really like CpM (for the color differences),... but it seems like it's a little iffier??

As to a shrub, It seems like Molineux would be closest to what I want since they seem to stay a little smaller? I like the color changeability, that's nice. Maybe I could get two and have one on each side of my front bed to bring some bright in. (Julia Child is pretty, too though, but I'm a little worried about the brighter orangey shades of her)

I really like Lady Hillingdon, but I tend to be a little iffy on teas since I saw some crispy ones at some gardens near me. That didn't stop me from ordering La France and Maman Cochet cl., though... and the reviews on Lady Hillingdon have always been that she does well in heat. It is a very pretty luminous color. (though a bit peachy/pale... but still very gorgeous...)

• Molineux
    13 years ago

MOLINEUX is a true color blend. The flowers can vary from pure canary yellow to rich golden yellow blushed apricot-orange in the middle, and every combination of orange/yellow. Colorwise it is truly a phenomenal rose, and you never know exactly what color each bloom is going to be. This rose is never boring, yet at the same time is never garish or harsh looking. The fragrance is a lovely, fresh Tea rose scent of moderate intensity combined with an elusive musk-rose base note that is present in the morning and early evenings. Flower form is cupped opening into a cheerful pompom. Decent vase life too.

It is also a sound performer over a very wide climatic range; doing well here in the Mid-Atlantic, the Deep South, the South-West and the West Coast. The foliage is also more resistant to disease than the majority of yellow roses available on the market today; the only problem being a minor propensity for black spot here in the Mid-Atlantic (where the climate provides optimal conditions for the fungus). Elsewhere he is worth trying no spray.

MOLINEUX grows well on his own roots, the canes aren't heavily thorny, and the plant shows good vigor. The growth habit is upright, but not as stiff as your typical Hybrid Tea. He is more like a Floribunda in this regard. Rapid repeat bloom too (the best among the yellow Austins). His only fault is lack of hardiness in zone 5 and colder. Otherwise, he is practically perfect in every way. A beginners rose.

For sheer beauty, however, it is hard to top GOLDEN CELEBRATION. The tall, arching, growth habit is very graceful; similar to the best Bourbons. The canes are also low on thorns, even more so than with Molineux. The breathtakingly lovely flowers must be seen to be believed: imagine the roses painted on English china and you get a good idea of what these blooms look like, i.e. deeply cupped with a labyrinth of petals crammed into the interior. The luminous golden yellow color has a soft pearly suffusion that is hard to ignore, and the very strong fragrance is rich and fruity. Good, reliable repeat bloom. This rose practically screams elegance. His only fault is a propensity for black spot. Here in the east GOLDEN CELEBRATION will completely defoliate if not put on a weekly spray program. I've read GC can be grown no spray in California, where black spot isn't a problem. The same is probably true in arid places like Arizona and the dryer parts of Texas.

For your climate (hot and dry) I recommend GOLDEN CELEBRATION. This gorgeous English Rose is going to knock your socks off.

Image of Golden Celebration by fallingfeather-5-KCMO at Hortiplex.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

molineux, Thanks for the in depth on those two!

I did a little more research on Golden Celebration on the forum and hmf... am I right in thinking that I could peg it or let it trail over a short ornamental fence? I was hoping to do that with my Baronne Prevost... and perhaps Golden Celebration could be Baronnne's companion? It would be near La Reine, Carding Mill and Queen of Sweden, roughly... so a mix of deep pink, peach, pale pink and yellow.

If that's the case then I could get GC... and then also get one or two molineux (molineux(s) for more of the front of the bed to mix with the medium pinks there)

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Aimee -- Golden Celebration goes UP before it arches out.
    It's not a lax, trailing rose, but truly upright and arching.
    I imagine you could try pegging it but do you mean pegging it to the GROUND? Because I think you will need considerable real estate to do that.
    Nor do you need any sort of pegging to increase its bloom.
    In SoCal, this is a generous "cropper," repeating fairly quickly after it is deadheaded. (And you do need to deadhead.)
    This odd spring, our GCs did blackspot noticeably, as did a number of other roses which are normally clean here. But they recovered quickly from that, too.

This is a hedge of 6 Golden Celebrations:
    {{gwi:235916}}

Jeri

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What about Cine Forestier?

Jeri, how tall is Golden Celebration for you?

I'm reconsidering some of the super pale yellows because I realized I could that 4-6 roses per arbor thing that Ashdown suggests in their youtube videos.

I already have sombreuil and Gloire de Dijon and some jackmanii clematis. But I figure some off-white rose (either super pale pink or super pale peachy or super pale yellow) might be nice with them.
    Maybe Lady Hillingdon or Marechal Niel might look nice with them? Are both of those about the same size...?
    or would both of those be too big for a shared arbor?
    otherwise I might just go with a blush noisette or something.

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Honestly, I've never seen a really mature Celine Forestier. Only baby plants, in pots. Same goes for Cl. Lady Hillingdon and Marechal Niel -- tho I've seen photos.

For us, Golden Celebration is perhaps 5-6 ft. tall, and easily that wide at the top. We would be hard-pressed to train our Golden Celebrations to an arbor. They're definitely self-supporting bushes for us.

Are you meaning 4-6 different plants on a conventional arbor? If so, that could get awfully crowded, hereabouts.

Jeri

• cemeteryrose
    13 years ago

Oh! That's ME in that photo of Jeri's - back in the day before I let my hair go gray!
    Anita

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

>I'd prefer one that has good rebloom, fragrance... and hopefully some tolerance for dry heat... and something that's not too hard to deal with...
    if you know anything about their sizes in a hot socal area, that would be nice, too.

Julia Child potentially only grows to about four feet (I think) and is highly disease resistant with a nice fragrance and not very many thorns. It's medium to pale yellow in hot weather, but in the fall it becomes a deep butter yellow. Lots of flushes.

If you are thinking about a use as a climber, the tea noisette cultiver of Alister Stella Gray that Antique Rose Emporium sells might work well. (HMF has some pictures named Alister Stella Gray, but many others don't look like the same cultivar at all). I don't know about this particular variety, but noisettes can often take a lot of dry heat.

Large attractive shrub medium to light yellow blends Hybrid Musks: fragrant Daybreak, fragrant Danae, or fragrant Francesca. All are overall from a distance on the lighter side of medium yellow. If you'd be happy with a white with a huge yellow center, Trier might work. Most hybrid musks can work as climbers. I know Paul Zimmerman thinks highly of Daybreak, which starts up really early in the spring. It might not rest for long at all in your zone's winter. If you are thinking about climbers now, any of these would look good alongside the Cornelia Hybrid Musk with its hints of peachy tones.

Really pale fragrant short Floribunda climber Leverkusen.

Really pale fragrant Isabella Sprunt (very short tea).

Really pale fragrant Pas de Deux (very short climber).

Really pale creamy Belmont Yellow polyantha (not fragrant).

Medium yellow thorny rugosa: Topaz Jewel (takes 3 years to establish).

About half the pictures of Golden Gate show that one as a pale yellow. It likely all depends on the weather, like so many other yellows.

Rise 'n' Shine--half its pictures look pale to me. Very short, but a climbing sport is also available, and if you want a crowd of different roses on an arbor, this one's climbing sport might not take up so much of the room?

In all the pictures of fragrant Amazone (aka Soncy) I've ever seen, it's a pale creamy yellow rose, not a deep yellow as HMF states. It might well cover the feet of some climbers on an arbor, but I don't think it's used as a climber.

Fragrant blended yellow Anson Jones shrub is pale.

Fragrant Mrs. Dudley Cross tea might work. (The main color component, yellow, is very, very pale during hot weather, but pinkish blended edges are still there. Gets pinker in cool weather.)

Ghislaine De Feligonde is fragrant, exceptionally easy to grow, thornless. It grows huge as a shrub or can be used as a bushy climber, especially under a short tree. It's mainly white, not yellow, but its blooms don't start out white. To see the overall effect, visit www.antiqueroseemporium.com/rose-1023.html. Would probably rebloom in your warm zone, but might not bloom as often as you have in mind.

Best wishes,
    Mary

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

Oops! I forgot about hot and dry when pulling Topaz Jewel from my lists of yellows! Please forget I said that...

Best wishes,
    Mary

• User
    13 years ago

goldfinch is a cutie, aimee and not many thorns

• jerijen
    13 years ago

Inland, it might be OK.
    Mrs. Dudley cross was a mildewer, at the CA Coast.

Jeri

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Aimee, in my garden Julia Child is not bright yellow- it really is butter yellow and turns to almost white. Very nice and takes the heat well.

I know you are not a hybrid tea person, but take a look at St. Patrick. It's a very pretty yellow, and looks good with everything in the garden. The best part of this rose is that the blooms stay on the bush for a very, very, long time, and it is unaffected by heat. It has an upright growth habit, so it can take up very little space if you prune it up. The foliage is also beautiful.
    Renee

• elemire
    13 years ago

For pale yellow climbers of more modern origin, for me Elfe climber is a winner, lovely pale yellow, fragrant and absolutely healthy without spraying. Emphasis on healthy really, since so far she did not have a single sickly leaf during whole season. It is a bit difficult to obtain in US though (although Hortico in Canada seems to carry it?).

{{gwi:297545}}

{{gwi:216170}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Elfe climber on HMF

• kevin_mcl
    13 years ago

For comparison, I just noticed Golden Celebration in flower behind Molineux.

{{gwi:297546}}

• professorroush
    13 years ago

Golden Celebration, one you mentioned, grows well for me here in hot, dry Kansas...I've been stunned. Big, lax rose with good fragrance. Graham Thomas doesn't do so well.

Other low-care repeating yellow roses to consider; Agnes (yellow Rugosa), Prairie Harvest (a Griffith Buck rose with some of the best foliage I've ever seen). and perhaps Sunsprite. Prairie Harvest (light yellow) and Sunsprite (bright) would be the best for cutting roses.

Professorroush (http://kansasgardenmusings.blogspot.com)

• kstrong
    13 years ago

If you can find Golden Zest anywhere, grab it. It was J&P's answer to Golden Celebration. It has blooms just like GC, but more of them, and the plant stays smaller -- 4' high by 3' wide at full grown. But the best thing about this one is the fragrance. It's a yellow and it STILL beats out Mister Lincoln and Double Delight and Ambridge Rose at the rose shows in the fragrance category -- really strong. Me like.

Kathy