Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicissitudez

Enchantress and Souv. de Victor Hugo

Vicissitudezz
9 years ago

When I ordered 4 roses from the Roses Unlimited sale last month, 2 of the tea roses arrived with 2 buds each, and they bloomed soon after.

'Enchantress' had very small, but lovely flowers, although something chewed some petals on the 2nd flower... Lovely purplish dark pink. And I love her foliage.

Something ate the 1st 'Souvenir de Victor Hugo' flower just as it started to open, but the 2nd one was unmolested and- I thought- quite pretty...

A photo of 'Enchantress' should be attached, and I'll attach a photo of SDVH to a follow-up post...

I'll just mention that I was truly impressed with RU's quality, customer service, and shipping methods. All 4 roses were in great condition upon arrival, and all are currently showing off some lovely reddish new growth, so this was a nice experience for a first-time rose buyer...

Comments (9)

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Souvenir de Victor Hugo'...

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

P.S. Does anyone else grow these? Any thoughts about how large these plants might get in the Southeastern coastal plain?

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

They're lovely, ymr!

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, seil- I'm absurdly pleased to finally be growing roses after researching/ thinking about it for quite a while.

Virginia

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I thought about picking up SdVH during the RU summer sale. I'm glad you're trying it! It seems to be one of the less commonly grown teas. I don't see it mentioned on here very often. It reminds me of Rosette Delizy to some degree, which I love and has been the healthiest/most vigorous of all the teas I've planted in the last two years.

Enchantress is also lovely! That is a beautifully shaped bloom. The flowers Souvenir d'Elise Vardon arrived with from RU were perfectly shaped, but fairly small. I'm sure with time they'll get a little larger.

Good luck with your roses! If I recall correctly, the others you picked were great varieties as well.

Jay

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

My band of Souvenir de Victor Hugo has a bud (1st one!). I ordered mine from Rose Petals Nursery last year. It's hard to find. I am excitied about seeing the bloom open.

I had never heard of this rose until I saw pictures of it on masha's blog. She has the most beautiful pictures.

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Jay-

It's far too early to say how well they'll do here, but if they like hot and humid conditions, they should do fine.

I just looked at some photos of Rosette D at HMF and I can see a resemblance with at least some of the photos, though RD's coloring seems more vivid. So maybe SdVH would have been too similar-looking to compete with your best tea...

And, yes, one reason I went for SdVH was because he doesn't seem to be grown much- there are a couple of off-putting comments about him at HMF, but I suspect that some teas (& noisettes) that don't do so well out west may do fine here. I'm hoping he's one of those...

The HMF photos of Sd'EV are really lovely- very subtle coloring, but still eye-catching. I hope she does well for you.

Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

mauvegirl, I had to google "masha rose blog", but when I did, I realized that I've been there before, goggling at all her rose photos. Somehow, I'd missed SdVH, though, so thanks for the heads-up. Hers is more richly colored than mine, so I'm hoping that the more mature blooms on my plant will look like that.

I'm so intrigued by her Pernetianas; that may be why I missed seeing SdVH before? I have a bit of a flower-crush on 'Madame Edouard Herriot', especially...

I'm glad to hear that you've got a bud on your plant- that always is exciting... I have my fingers crossed that it does better than my first one did...

I didn't realize that Rose Petals carried him, as well. Did you like your experience ordering from them? They're about 5 hours away, so I think of them as being fairly 'local', and they've got some roses I'd really like to try.

Virginia

PS Linking to the blog below so others can see that SdVH photo...

Here is a link that might be useful: 'A Rose is a Rose' blog

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I have ordered a few times from Rose Petals. Their inventory varies. I was lucky that Victor Hugo was "in-stock" online shortly after seeing pictures.

Great! You posted the link. Many forum readers will be in awe of her rose garden and photography.