Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OGRs

Posted by RichardToyne 11 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 23:07

My garden is ready for OGRs. I have searched but cannot find a nursery that sells them. If any information or help is available in my search I'd be very grateful and muy contento.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OGRs

Hi Richard!

I'd take a look at the link at the bottom. It was a recent thread where forum members compiled a list of reputable sources for Old Garden Roses. If you're in the US, Europe, or Australia, I'm sure you should be able to find some vendors that sell them. If you're in Asia, then I'm not going to be of much help, but perhaps others may.

Jay

Here is a link that might be useful: Remaining Reputable Nurseries for Roses

o

I'm afraid one of your major issues is finding a nursery willing to export to Mexico. First, I suggest you contact your Agricultural Department and determine what restrictions they may have concerning importing roses into Mexico from the United States. It's unlikely any of the American nurseries are going to be familiar with what your country requires. That is up to you to determine so you can follow the appropriate steps and provide the exporting nursery with the appropriate paperwork for them to legally export to you. Good luck! Kim

o

I believe Peter Beales ships worldwide with a few exceptions. I think Bierkreek in the Netherlands also used to do this but I can't find any information on their pages.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter Beales Roses

o

Mexico is one of the countries listed they ship to on their Help Me Find-Roses home page. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Bierkreek on Help Me Find

o

Ha, silly of me to not connect zone 11 and "muy contento" with Mexico.

If you're close to Texas, you could look into whether you can bring plants from ARE or Chamblees into Mexico. I'm really not sure of the legal specifics of physically bringing in roses from another country into Mexico by yourself as opposed to having a nursery ship them into the country, but Kim mentioned a few of the potential issues with importing them.

Jay

o

If you are looking for a Mexican nursery, you might want to contact a public rose garden to find out where they get their roses. I am posting a link for the Jardín Botánico del Instituto de Biología de la UNAM, in case you think it might be useful to contact someone there to ask for recommendations.

Also, I would imagine that there's probably a national association of nurseries that you could contact?

Good luck,
Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: Jardín Botánico del IBUNAM

o

Hi Jay, Kim, Mariannese, Thanks for the speedy help and tips. I'm off to the Agricultural Dept in the morning to sort out the red tape.
I'll let you know how well I progress.

o

You're welcome Richard. Good luck! Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here