Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dregae

Help me save her!!

My husband got reckless with his weedeater this evening and whacked my autumn damask band despite the bricks I had around it and the steel rod I had to mark where it was :-/. Oh well, anyways I hurried and grabbed it and went and cut it off cleanly where it was whacked and dipped it in rooting hormone and put it in some moist potting medium I had. Is there anything I can do to help it survive? Any help and advice would be gratefully received. I've never done cuttings of roses so I have no idea what I should do.

Grace e

Comments (6)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

That's one of the main reasons we don't put bands directly into the ground. :-(

I wish I could help you with this, but it's just like any other cutting, now. There are about a jillion hints on rooting cuttings. I would Google "ROOTING ROSE CUTTINGS".

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

You might be extra attentive to whatever remains in the ground, if anything. If your band was doing well, it might put out a new shoot from the roots even though the top got whacked off.

If the whole thing didn't get yanked out of the ground, I'd lightly fertilize with water-soluble fertilizer, keep it watered & mulched (but not right on top of the stem) & keep my fingers crossed.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Yeah. I think I would do that, as well. I mean, THERE you have ROOTS . . .

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Agreed with all of the above. I never plant those bands directly into the ground because I'm a klutz and sure as shootin' I'll step on it! They're just too tiny even with good markers. Keep the root part watered and wait and see if it sprouts new shoots. I'm thinking it will surprise you. Roses are survivors. Keep the cutting moist but not soggy and be patient. It may take weeks before you know for sure if it's rooting. Don't assume it is if it sprouts new leaves right away. They'll do that sometimes using the energy they already have stored in the cane. It doesn't mean there are roots yet. Really resist the urge to tug on it!!! Just let it be and be very patient.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

Grace - I feel your pain! Same exact thing happened to me except my dog stepped on my band and snapped the whole cane clean off. That's when I realized I won't be planting bands into the ground again - too risky!

I dug up the little rootball and potted it in a one gallon pot and I've been fertilizing it and it's put out about 6 inches of new growth with tons of new leaves. It looks better now than it did when it arrived in the mail.

Since you've never grown roses from cuttings before (like me) I would baby the roots too! It might just surprise you.

Good luck! :o)
    Michaela

• hartwood
    9 years ago

As long as there appears to be live material on the portion of the plant left in the ground, it will probably recover. I'm most concerned that your little band rose had weeds and/or grass around it and that your husband felt it necessary to use the equipment right there. From now on, pay particular attention to making sure that your Autumn Damask is watered and weeded (to prevent another weed whacker incident), and you should be okay.

Just to let you know, and to give another view on things, I almost always plant bands directly into the ground here. For me, I find that they take off and grow better in the ground in my garden than in a pot. I've done hundreds of bands, both in pots and in the ground straight away, and the direct planted ones almost always do better in my conditions. (as long as the band is growing well and has a decent root system under it to start with.) I put a 4' tomato stake beside my small roses, as a TALL reminder for myself and my husband that they are there.

Let us know how things go.