Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coquette des Blanches in Temperate Areas? (Especially Jeri)

Posted by ArbutusOmnedo 10/24 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 1:01

Hi everybody!

My mom added a Coquette des Blanches to an order I received from Burling a few weeks ago. I mentioned it is a "sibling" of Boule de Neige with a bit more blush and she looked it up on HMF. That was enough. I know Jeri has suggested that it needs more winter chill to bloom than is offered in this area.

Did you grow an own-root plant of CdB, Jeri? If the plant was grafted onto multiflora from a Canadian nursery, do you think that could have had an impact on that problem? How would you describe the habit of the plant you grew?

I've been mulling over the issues with CdB while trying to find a long term spot for it in her yard that won't be wasted on a rose that may live, but not flower much. I think it is beautiful rose, but I doubt it's such a beautiful shrub that it's worth growing without consistent blooms.

Has anyone else in a temperate area with no frost tried CdB? Any success? It's been growing admirably in a two gallon container so far. No mildew yet. A Baron Girod de l'Ain I got as a fun "experiment" had a tiny bit of mildew on it for the first time today since arriving about three and half weeks ago.

Thanks for your input!

Jay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coquette des Blanches in Temperate Areas? (Especially Jeri)

I bought one some years ago from Home Depot. It has made a nice sized shrub - blooms well in the spring, not so much in our hot Texas summers. I can probably expect blooms in the fall - cant remember what it did last year. It is in full sun most of the day and hangs in there quite well.
Judith

o

Wow, I would snatch up anything like a Coquette des Blanches if I found it at a Home Depot. Lady Banks and Cecile Brunner are the only "older" roses I've found there.

How big is nice sized, Judith? Would you say the plant habit is similar to Boule de Neige? Is it taller/wider/vase shaped/lax caned/et cet.? That's good to know it can take your Texas sun. Thanks!

Jay

o

I got this rose at least 5 or more years ago. Never have seen any old gardens offered there since except a Therese Bugnet in a body bag this spring - which is growing well near Cornelia.

CdeB is a rather ungainly shrub, not thick. Could be because it is in all day sun.....and I keep thinking it will thicken up as it ages. Don't know what Boule de Neige looks like so cant compare. Canes are not thick but substantial enough. Blooms aren't huge, but pretty. I don't find it as attractive as Souvenir de la Malmaison, but I like it well enough - and appreciate the fact that as a Home Depot rose, and an unusual find at that, that it has continued to thrive here in Texas. I am going [hopefully tomorrow] to add some of my aged horse compost mulch to all those roses on the front fenceline again and water thoroughly - give them more root protection from the heat.
Judith

o

Jay -- We grew Coquette des Blanches for about 6 years.

In year 5 (2007, I think), we had an unusually cold winter. Cold enough to kill several well-establishe plumerias, and burn back all of the neighborhood Bougainvilleas.

THAT year, CdB put up one remarkably lovely spray, which I photographed for posterity. (See below)

The next year, we had our normal winter weather. It never bloomed again, and is gone. (But I can say -- it didn't rust or mildew.)

Jeri

o

Jeri-

Given your experience in a very similar climate, I'll be sure to not disbud it should she be so lucky as to get any. I'll also give it a place somewhere out of the way that can be given up to something better or different down the line. Possibly a Caprenteria californica. I certainly hope my mother has a different take on CdB in a few years, but I've mentioned it could be out of its comfort zone here. Expectations aren't too high.

On the other hand, BdN continues to be great for me.

Jay

o

Blush Noisette is a winner. I love it, and all of its odd found sports and seedlings.

Now, if only you could find a pink 'un, and a yaller 'un, and a red 'un . . . :-)

o

OH ... Boule de Niege, you meant!

Yes. THAT is a terrific rose. And it doesn't seem to at all mind our mild climate. Disease-resistant, too!

o

I don't know if it falls under that branch of sports and seedlings of BN, but I did just order Narrow Water for the Obelisk I had asked about. I'll also be ordering a Reve d'Or from Burling sometime soon for a spot until recently occupied by a vicious Bouganvilla.

The Pickering news coupled with Vintage's closure has spurred me to acquire some varieties I'd regret not having tried if they are to go out of commerce.

Jay

o

It's truly scary.

I've found, though, that the Heritage Roses Group Facebook page brings in a steady trickle of people who have found older roses in the gardens they moved into -- and want to know more about them.

That, at least, gives me some hope for the future.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here