Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's your best rose?

Posted by prickles Los Angeles, CA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 1:15

I can't praise Young Lycidas enough for the steady supply of cut flowers he's been providing me to enjoy. Here's a bouquet from yesterday: Young Lycidas and Memorial Day. I have to say he is my best rose. What's yours?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's your best rose?

Here's a bush shot!

o

Another pic, the other side of the bush.

o

Very pretty. My best would be Cramoisi Superieur, Penelope, or Maggie.

Sammy

o

Right now by best would be Nacadoches and SDLM. Both are blooming machines.

o

YL looks absolutely gorgeous in the vase, but I have to say the bush looks rather ungainly, although covered with blooms. Mine hasn't done much but is looking better now with increased mulching and watering.

Souvenir de la Malmaison is my best all-around rose, gorgeous blooms which haven't gotten smaller in the heat or turned pale. Healthy and bushy, everything one would want in a rose. Potter and Moore and La France have blooms that I find enchanting although as shrubs they're inferior to SdlM.

Ingrid

o

For us, it is "Grandmother's Hat."

o

Impossible - with over 100 roses, it always depends on TIMING - the weather, etc. I have at least two dozen "best roses".

My emotional favorites are always the very old ones that we inherited, with our garden, from my DH's ancestors. Probably my favorite one of those is 'Anna Olivier', a tea from 1872 which blooms 9-10 months here, and is marvelously variable in its colors.

Jackie

o

AO when she decides to be all one color:

o

AO changing her mind...

o

Jackie--that's deliciously beautiful! I really like your AO, really like the fact that she changes colors from pink to apricot to yellow! How is the scent on her? She looks like a big girl to me--bigger than I have room for her right now.

Jeri--gorgeous specimen...another want but no room :( That's the shape I would very much like YL to grow into. But it's been an uphill battle with him, and he does what he likes. I was so cross with him after two seasons of judicious prunning and was unsuccessful in controlling his sprawling habit that I eventually gave up defeated. Now I just let him do his thing...

Ingrid--I like Potter and Moore alot, of the pictures you've posted of it anyway. I just sp Double Delight and Stephen's Big Purple--and will rid of St. Cecilia, Wild Edric and Teasing Georgia come winter--and I am considering SdlM from Burling as a possible replacement. Do you think SdlM will be happy in a large pot?

Boncrow--that's a beautiful shade of clear pink...love it!

o

Sammy--i am not familiar with Penelope or Maggie... But cramoisi I always think is beautiful from the pics I have seen. Is yours fragrant?

o

Prickles, the problem with Souvenir de la Malmaison in our area is that it is quite subject to powdery mildew.

If you are far enough inland that powdery mildew is not a problem in your garden, then you may be OK. Near the coast, where I am, it mildewed AND balled. And it was not just one plant, either. I think we went through four of them before getting the message.

As to a pot . . . I would say you would be wise to plan on it EVENTUALLY needing a REALLY REALLY BIG POT.

Here is a very mature Souv de la Malmaison on an 1896 grave in the Sacramento City Cemetery. You can see that it really would require a pot of very great dimensions to have a healthy root system.

o

I agree with Jeri, and my SdlM is actually wider than that beautiful specimen in the picture. The more room you have the more flowers you'll get from this rose.

prickles, may I ask why you're getting rid of Wild Edric? I have four plants of him since it's supposed to be a rose that does well in poor soil and doesn't need scads of water. It does seem to be doing well in my heat although right now the blooms aren't very attractive.

Ingrid

o

Modern: Belinda's Dream

Antique: Duchess de Brabant. Never without a bloom. Despite little water and great heat.

o

Thank you Jeri for the info about SdlM size, mildew and balling propensities. I live far enough from the coast, close to downtown, at silver lake, but last spring (I don't know whether it wasn't a dream but it rained then) some of the hybrid teas balled badly for me, and mildewed too. Now that everything is clean, nearly everything is clean at the moment, I really don't want mildew. Do you think mystic beauty is a better choice? In a pot of course.

Ingrid, mine isn't doing what i want him to do--oh, wild eric, that is. He is new and I am aware of the limits of a new band of course...but his blooms are less than acceptable: they are downright ugly, to me. The flowers were deformed, all with vegetative centers, with short petals around a green disc that was wider than the petals were--were what?--long---something similar to a daisy in appearance (not that daisies as daisies aren't beautiful, but a rose like a daisy, well, not so much!). Oh, it was a thirp magnet, and the flowers faded to a filthy look quicker than a blink of an eye, light to near scentless to this nose, and he also sprawled in growth worse than young Lycidas, with rugosa thorns! Sorry about the negative rant--i am a little impatient and unfair with wild edric. Perhaps I'll wait and give him some time to improve the quality of his blooms. But he does do well with little water and no food! Vigorous and lovely, healthy, green leaves etc... But I was hoping something as reliable as young Lycidas or other Austins I grow for a supply of cut flowers. Well I was hoping for something like this:

This post was edited by prickles on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 15:47

o

I have a Cl SdlM, it is putting out some beautiful blooms right now and a few long canes. It mildews and balls, but I can still smell it so it stays.

I noticed the bench I am growing in on is covered with muddy raccoon prints on the seat. You can see where the raccoon put its paws on the arm of the bench, presumably also enjoying the bloom. Probably the only rose in that are that the raccoon leave alone.

Mom would say Belinda's Dream. I kind of like Darcey Bussell, despite one of the two plants having put a cane 20+ feet in the air up a tree! I am wondering what she is going to do with that one so I have not cut...yet

o

Kippy, i have raccoons here too, a family of them, mother and kids, who come nightly to banquet on our fig tree now that it is in season. And possums, too. I would hear the rustling of leaves in the dark and then when I shine the light on the fig tree outside of our living room window, I would see the tree hold its breath, motions and leaves stilled, then a pair of hands in mid-reach-gesture--frozen, and black gloved!--and a bandit face with bright glaring eyes ignited with a bewildered stare etc... As for roses, they arent interested, and leave them unmolested. Skunks are a different story! DB putting a 20ft cane must be a sight! My Jude gave me a 10ft+ cane last season--still haven't prune it yet.

o

Prickles. I am no longer sure who is doing the damage but some of the roses are getting dug under nightly. I plan on making some kind of cone to discourage that. Seems all that root fondling is encouraging Dr Huey to pop up. Mom ran in to the raccoons the other night and the skunks visit too

Jackie, do you know if that color change is common in all of the Anna Olivers or just yours since it is such and old one? I love love love yours!

o

Well, according to Vintage Gardens, AO was "not in commerce in North Ameriica" until they discovered my ancient one and took cuttings and rooted it and spread it around to several nurseries in 2005. There was evidently an imposter (which I believe is the same as "Bermuda Anna Olivier"), which was all yellow all of the time in commerce instead.

The real AO was in commerce in Australia, however, and theirs looks like mine and does the same thing, although it seems to get darker colors a lot - might be the climate.
Anyway, if you get one in this country, it is probably a clone of mine (since roses cannot be imported from Australia), so it should do the same thing.

Sometimes mine is 100% pale yellow (the entire bush!), and sometimes it is 100% pale pink. Most of the time it is the buff color with dark pink on the back of the petals. Here is a pic showing that.

Jackie

o

Jackie, do you know which nursery might have your clone?

o

Shopshop--i always hear good bloom report on BD from the rest of the gardeners here. Ditto on DdB. Both are on my lust list.

o

Another pic of Young Lycidas...this time I notice a strange button eye on one of the blooms instead of being cupped. Variations in shades of colors, yes, i have seen them, even slight distortions in bloom shape formation etc... But a button eye certainly seems ODD to me--if not outlandish, dont you think--on a rose that produces cup shaped flowers.

This post was edited by prickles on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 14:27

o

Prickles -- Grandmother's Hat doesn't HAVE to be that big. Ours is, because after pruning it conventionally for several years, we finally quit bothering to do it.

You can grow it much like a good sized Hybrid Tea Rose, if you choose to, or espalier it against a fence as a low climber. It's quite obliging, and willing to "go with the flow."

In any situation, if deadheaded, it will repeat, and repeat, and repeat, right through the year. And unless you live where blackspot pressure is high, it is disease-free.

o

Kippy-the-Hippy

To answer your question, I do not know which nurseries carry the clone of my plant. However, if you look up AO on HMF and click on "buy from", and then go to the very bottom of the list and click on "show all....", you will find several US nurseries listed. If I was trying to find it, I would call the nurseries and ask, if they said they had AO, where they got it. Its study name when it was a mystery rose was "Schmidt's Buff Giant". Or, you would be welcome to take cuttings if you every get to San Rafael.

Jackie

o

prickles, thank you for your detailed answer about Wild Edric- whom I'm not quite so wild about now. The flowers on mine don't have vegetative centers, and I had a beautiful and fragrant bloom when it was cooler, but the ones now are substandard. My bushes are beginning to sprawl every which way, and they're still young. So far at least they're free of disease. That second picture of YL in a vase - simply stunning! Mine is finally producing some buds, and I'm curious whether they'll fry in the heat. Yours obviously didn't.

Ingrid

o

This time of year, after months of relentless heat, I can barely remember what my best roses are! But it would probably be a tea; either MMe Joseph Schwartz or Maman Cochet or mrs BR cant. Cl Maman Cochet is a great rose here..

But I'm probably forgetting one of them...

o

Jackie, I would love to come some day and see your gardens. I love historical homes and their gardens. I am having a crisis of tea propagation right now, I seem to have no luck. But after visiting Kim, I am working on rooting a bunch of root stocks so at least I can bud a plant and keep trying for that own root.

o

Jeri, GH sure sounds like a winner! I wonder whether pruning her--as I have been doing with teasing georgia--will limit the bounty of her blooms. The smaller the plant the fewer the blooms etc. I grew baronne prevost as a large shrub pegged onto herself till she was more than 5 by 6ft loaded with flowers, and mildew of course--poor air circulation. Then after I severely hacked her back to less than 2x3ft she never fully recovered, and gave me a meager few flowers in the spring and not much more.

Ingrid, I think I would allow wild edric to stay and wait to see how he performs if space isn't such a steep premium for me. As it is, I will give him until winter and I hope to see improvements or I will have to get Mr shovel. I am happy to hear about your YL. Mine doesn't burn (unless it is Santa Ana condition with zero humidity, burn and slap of blazing sunshine, over 90+degrees etc) but he does wilt, not badly, in his current location of daylong sun without any merciful shade of protection or relief. How's your Yves Piaget doing so far? Now that's a rose that laughs at the sun and heat and likes a sunburn country. Think I will get another one of Yves come bare root season, or when the Oct sale is on at Otto's.

Jasper, my neighbor's BR Cant has been amazingly beautiful. It does not surprise me to hear some of the best performers are teas.

o

prickles, unfortunately the sun badly burned the leaves of my Yves Piaget and the flowers it produced were small and really poor-looking. In spite of plenty of TLC it's not showing signs of improving, but I'm willing to wait at least until the next spring bloom to reassess it. When it's good, it's spectacular, but with the increased sun radiation that gets worse every year at my place I'm not sure it's still a rose that will succeed. We'll have to see.

Ingrid

o

I love the flowers and fragrance of Young Lycidas, and it IS one of my favorite roses --- but I do struggle with its growth habit. It sends up long (very) long skinny canes that cannot support the weight of the flowers. So I have to pick the flowers up off the ground (very nearly) to see them or to take in their wonderful fragrance.

I was going to give it away last year and we were in my yard to dig it out for my friend when a nearby redwood tree root made the digging too much of a struggle. So I kept it after all, and I'm glad I did. But I wish I could figure out a way to get the canes to fatten up so they would support the flowers.

Other than Young Lycidas I have two other very favorite roses: Matangi and
Lady Emma Hamilton.

Matangi is one of the so-called Painted Roses and it has so many virtues -- disease free in my garden, deep green glossy leaves, never out of bloom, super light-up-the-landscape last forever blooms, big fat generous hips, neat bushy habit. If it has a fault, I suppose I will have to admit it lacks fragrance.

Lady Emma is one of David Austin's and aside from its beautiful flower and wonderful fragrance, I am quite taken with its foliage color which is hard to describe but the leaves are flushed with a sort of brownish burgundy which is a perfect color blend for the flowers. The very attractive foliage persists all winter for me until the new leaves in spring force the old ones to drop. I welcome its shorter size, and it is very full and bushy. And healthy.

o

My all time favorite rose has a clumsy name not at all in keeping with its exquisite nature: the hybrid tea "Barkarole" (aka Taboo). What do I like about it? So deep red, the buds are literally black, edged with deep red. The red does not veer in an orange or purple direction, it's a perfectly balanced red. Exquisite shape. Mid-size for an HT, just right for me because I don't care much for the usual huge HT flowers. The leaves are the most gorgeous rose leaves I've ever seen: as exquisitely shaped as the flower, very big, with matte finish, with reddish veins and border on the leaves, which are also reddish violet tinted on the undersides. Mine is about 10 years old and gets only 4-1/2 hours sun a day. I read a book by a very expert man who said this rose wasn't very healthy. Here in the mountains of British Columbia, mine is superbly healthy. It has not had blackspot or any other problem except winter die back for the last 5 years or so. Still, while staying free of disease, winter die back has taken greater toll each year and fewer flowers are produced, though they are so thrilling when they unfold I think I'll nurture it as long as it produces even one; but I'm also going to order a replacement.

o

• Posted by Tessiess 9b, SoCal Inland, 12 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 22:43

If anyone decides they don't want Wild Edric, please shovel prune him in my direction.;) Maybe I can send something your way too.

I would want to double check the ag quarantine rules though (I spent some time on the phone this week with Sacaramento (CDFA) and the Los Angeles County Agricultural Commisioner's Office (spoke directly to their entomologist), who had no problems with the sharing (mainly hips) that I've been doing and donating roses to plant sales in my city. I was concerned about the citrus psyllid. The entomologist told me it is specific to citrus.

Melissa

o

Prickles -- in SoCal, I wouldn't prune big roses to 2 x 3. Just wouldn't. In my experience, tho, Grandmothers Hat simply does not resent reasonable pruning. Likewise, she's cool with being left to her own devices.

I think that, as you become an older gardener, you develop a greater appreciation for roses that go with the flow.

Jeri

o

Melissa ... Thank you for relieving my mind on the citrus Psyllid. I was fairly sure that roses did not host it. Glad to know for sure.

o

Jeri,

Thanks for posting that picture of SdlM. I will surely be transplanting now to a more freer location. :) I had crammed a band into the smallest corner I could find because I thought it was a "compact" rose. Now I see the poor little thing would have suffered down the road!

o

Melissa, I'm not about to give up on my four plants of Wild Edric. The one that has the most shade produced a beautiful bloom yesterday, with a gorgeous color, when the temperature was in the high nineties. These are very young plants and I want to see what they can do when they're mature and it's not crazy hot.

Another young rose, Mlle. de Sombreuil, in full sun, has buds and blooms all over. I'm in awe of this tea rose, and can't wait to see it grow bigger and even better.

Ingrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here