Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Best Roses in Late Summer

I don't know how everyone else's garden is doing but we've gone through a month of even more heat, and I know some of you live in areas of great heat and drought. I thought it would be interesting to revisit the subject of roses that are still doing well after enduring more weeks of a miserably hot summer. I've had the advantage of still being able to water almost every day, which is a luxury not everyone has. I really think without the water all the roses would have died by now, because the heat radiating off the concrete and surrounding hills and boulders is so intense.

These roses continue to astonish me with their ability to grow and bloom in the heat of summer:

Souvenir de la Malmaison (a sheet of blooms right now, with no fading of color at all!)

La France (a young plant that is still growing in the heat and would bloom if I didn't disbud it)

Marie Pavie (still blooming in spurts)

Miss Atwood (growing and blooming)

Le Vesuve (two out of four are growing and blooming well)

Cels Multiflora (for some reason looking fresh and lovely, growing and blooming better than in late spring)

Burgundy Iceberg (has never stopped its bloom cycle, with healthy, beautiful leaves)

Kronprinzessin Viktoria von Preussen, Lavender Mist, Potter and Moore, Sophie's Rose and Aunt Margie's Rose are also carrying on like troopers.

Does anyone else have stalwart roses that continue to bloom against all odds? I'd love to know since some of my underperformers may be going to rose heaven.

Comments (35)

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I hesitate to answer because we have had a mild summer. My Dr. Huey has actually remained blooming since spring. I just want to mention one rose that has performed consistantly for years now: Ilse Krohn Superior. I am amazed at this rose in my garden. The flowers are perfect. The foilage is unblemished. It just goes on.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Great Thread, Ingrid. I have a sister in Mission Viejo whom I gave plants from my garden. She said, "How come the bee-balm you gave me never bloom?" It dawns on me that bee-balm here blooms after a few days of non-stop rain, which happens frequently in my zone 5a, but not in her Southern CA.

We have a short drought early summer, very few Irises even bloom. Some roses require an ungodly amount of water to bloom, like Golden Celebration. The more petal-surface, the more water demanded. Evelyn stands up to heat and blooms well, because she's shallow-cup with tiny petals.
    The killer is the deep-cup, big and jammed pack petals like Charles Darwin with 140+ petals. He won't bloom unless soaked in days of rain. The bigger the petals, and the more petals, the more water demand. 2007 Sweet Promise's bloom is huge but it's a water-hog. Honey Bouquet have only 40 petals, but it stands up to heat, looks good because it ruffles-out, which make it pretty when fully opened. The thick-petals one that stand up to heat also last long in the vase, Honey Bouquet and Deep Purple last 5 days in vase, and 10+ days on the bush.

I like the shallow-cup, tiny petals like Marie Pavie that blooms well in 90 to 100 dry heat. Deep Purple has fewer petals so it didn't fry in dry heat. Annie L.M has many petals, but the plant does well in extreme temp. with evening shade. The best are the ones bred in a hot climate like New Zealand: Stephen's Big Purple, Singing-in-the-Rain ... this are loaded at the rose park in hot full-sun. I also like roses bred in Texas, which are on the drought-resistant list: Belinda's Dream (not hardy here), Basyes Blueberry - I have this, and LOVE IT. That's why I want its offsring, Kim Rupert's Joyberry. I can neglect both in watering - they are tought and healthy.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've looked up Ilse Krohn Superior and it's a very beautiful rose, although a bit modern-looking for my taste. I'm always hesitant to consider roses bred in a colder climate for fear that they'll hate my hot garden, but I can see that it would love your milder conditions.

Ingrid

Original Author
    11 years ago

strawberryhill, you've given me some new roses to explore, thank you. I love purple roses but many fried here, and Stephen's Big Purple sounds very interesting. Must go and look them all up.

Ingrid

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

My gardens finally pretty much shut down in the heat--nearly all summer over 100 degrees on a daily basis. Although it has been somewhat cooler the past week or so, the roses haven't really recovered. Red Intuition, Elle, Elina, and Braveheart keep on managing a few blooms on a regular basis, although some of them look a bit pathetic; Valencia puts out ONE bloom every so often, same with Chrysler Imperial--that's about it.

Oh, one exception--I planted Austin's The Pilgrim by a pillar this spring and it burst into its first blooms just this week--so pretty--soft white/lemon yellow, fully packed blooms--not very large, but I'm assuming that is due to the heat. At least it is something new and fresh and lovely.

Oh yes, Mystic Beauty has several buds, so I may be enjoying those soon. And I hope that another week or so of temps in the 80s and 90s should bring the other roses back to life also.

Kate

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Wow! That's a lovely pic. of Belinda's Dream - I always get excited with Hoovb's pics. Thanks.

Below is the link to Drought-tolerant roses: It stated:
    "They found that the sturdy once-blooming Gallicas, Albas and Centifolias did very well in drought conditions. However they were more interested in rebloomers like Old Blush.

They discovered that other China roses � Cramoisi Superieur, Hermosa, Matteo's Silk Butterflies � did very well with little water. They found that Tea roses � such as Duchesse de Brabant and Georgetown Tea � survived harsh conditions as well.

Dr. Steven George, an Extension horticulturist at Texas A&M University, took the search for hardy, drought-resistant roses a few steps further. In 1996, he began a scientific study that subjected 468 roses to extreme conditions. The roses were never fertilized, never sprayed, received no supplemental watering after the first year and were never pruned, other than to remove deadwood.

The winners

Eleven roses emerged as spectacular performers. They were introduced in 2002 as EarthKind roses. The first group included Sea Foam, Marie Daly, the Fairy, Caldwell Pink, Red Knock Out, Perle d'Or, Belinda's Dream, Else Poulsen, Carefree Beauty, Mutabilis and Climbing Pinkie."

Hi Ingrid: I also found another drought-list which includes Dr. Basyes of Texas's creation: Basyes Blueberry, B. Legacy. I'm so impressed with B. Blueberry in our 100's hot days, that I start paying attention to where the rose is bred. Which led me to Robert Neil Rippetoe, who breeds his roses in his desert garden, in extreme dry heat at Rancho Mirage, CA, zone 10a. The weather there is 104 degrees right now. He'll send me his roses to be tested here in Chicagoland, I posted links to his roses in the recent tread "Fall Rose order".

Kim Rupert breeds his rose in hot and dry climate. I love his creations here: Both Lynnie and Annie L.M have thicker leaves than other roses, and stand up to the heat well. Some mini-roses have China heritage, which stand up to the dry heat. My minis: Blue Mist, Norwich Sweetheart, Love Ya Dad, Scentsational don't mind the heat at all. Lynnie is half-mini, so is Joyberry (Joycie mini crossed with Basyes Blueberry). That's why I want to get Joyberry since I'm lazy in watering.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses and Drought

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

I have numerous that are doing really well right now. Some continued to bloom during the worst of the 3-digit heat, while now that we've had a minor cooling off (90s only) are not only blooming but are also actively growing.

Eurostar, floribunda. Covered in many-petalled lemon yellow flowers. Has plenty of very dark green shiny foliage. But the canes are not for the faint of heart as they are protected by prodigious thorns. Good scent. No sign of distress in 100+ heat, although flowers fade to a paler yellow.

Cassie/Snowbelt. A cute polyantha I saw and admired at Eurodesert last year. Arrived as a band from Heirloom this spring. Within a week of arrival it had many sprays of buds and has never let up. I thought it would be a good idea to pinch off buds to promote growth, but there really isn't a way to do that to this rose short of shearing it off about an inch or two from the ground. Flowers are tiny and snow white with a yellow center, lightly scented of honey and look like double versions of nierembergia. Quickly moved from band to gallon to the ground. During the worst of the 100 degree heatwave this rose looked great and continued to rapidly increase in size.

Emil Nolde, shrub. Nice, healthy plant, producing lots of bright yellow flowers in the Sunsprite mold. Laughs at high heat. Good, moderate scent. Flowers fade some in 100+ weather, full sun all day.

Leonardo da Vinci. A big 'un. Bushy yet wants to climb. Never without flowers since it started blooming this spring (and only took a short break during winter). Pink, packed with petals flowers are of the cabbagy style. Absolutely wonderful dense foliage. However, doesn't have much scent. Well armed.

Wild Edric, Austin rugosa. A chance purchase from Pickering, this rose is a star in my garden. It came as a bareroot in March and is now almost 4 feet tall. The foliage is really beautiful, with plenty of the typical rugosa wrinkles. Starts out a limey green and quickly turns dark. Very bushy. The flowers are to die for--they are very fragrant and look like swirls of purple and red, blended as if by an artist's paintbrush. The variety of color is just so lovely. Not like the bold stripes of so many muli-colored roses, the color changes are much more subtle and appear to shimmer and shift in the sunlight. A superb, superb rose, and I may just get another from Pickering this fall. Had a big flush already and is now starting to open buds from flush two. Surprisingly drought tolerant. Planted next to Rosa californica 'Los Berros', and a rose away from Rosa californica 'First Dawn', both these two roses will begin to wilt (so I water the whole group) in the heat yet Wild Edric still looks unaffected by the heat. I wouldn't expect it to be more drought tolerant than the native California species, but there you go, it is. Have seen ZERO wilting in intense heat. Gets some shade from a nearby huge tree, but the same amount as its neighbors who need water sooner.

R. californica 'First Dawn', see photo below. I bought this as a gallon at a botanic garden plant sale last November. Wasn't planning on buying any roses there, but this rose is a super wafter in the fragrance department, and the glorious smell led me to take a look. Hooked! This is a blooming powerhouse. It bloomed into December, took a brief respite, and hasn't been without flowers since spring. Right now it has sprays of pale pink single cupped flowers, loads of more buds, and great sprays of hips. The air near this rose smells delicious all the time. Wonderful rose for wildlife. Its hips taste good to me too.;) This is a selection of the species from a northern (at least more northern than me) California nursery and it shows that connection by wilting a little in blast furnace heat without daily/every other day water. However, it has only been in the ground a short time and likely has not had time to develop much of a root system. I like it so much I bought another in July. Word of caution to those Californians from areas with alkaline water and soil--both of my plants were chlorotic in pots when I bought them. The first rapidly changed leaf color to a nice mid green once in the ground a short while, and the second is following that pattern. However, I would not feed it with either alfalfa or horse manure (from stables where alfalfa is a large part of the diet) *if you have alkaline soil and water*, unless you wish to have the chlorosis remain. I avoid these food choices as many of my species and other garden roses will, with my soil and water (per water company's annual report averages of 8.2 in 2010 and 7.9 in 2011), produce not just mildly chlorotic leaves but entirely white ones.

Melissa

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Rugosa are very drought-tolerant, unfortunately are yellowish, stingy bloomers in alkaline clay soil. The rose park nearby got rid of rugosa a long time ago. Today we have heat up to 91 degrees, then a thunderstorm coming on Sunday, which cools down to 80 degrees. Our heat here doesn't last long, and I can see why it's unbearable for dry climate.

I found another drought-tolerant site with plants and roses that don't consume much water.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water-wise plants and roses

• User
    11 years ago

well our summer has been wet and cool (miserable, even) so mildew, normally a pain in East Anglia seems to have been held at bay....but BS has had a field day. Practically every rose has BS to some degree or another although there are some exceptions. Most notably, the hulthemias have been revelatory - Eyes for You has been in continual bloom while Alissar has been beautiful at every stage of growth - these roses seem to have innate resistance to fungal problems - their only flaw is a particularly gawky habit of growth - very little extension growth and short tight laterals - look very similar to fruit bearing spurs on apples. Mutabilis has defoliated to complete nudity but has reached a graceful height of 2m with many blooms floating like tall anemones.
    Nahema,a refined type of rose - I harboured doubts that this would look a bit out of place in the vegetable beds. However, the complete lack of disease and the light green foliage with silvery pink blooms has been consistently lovely and still remains so.
    Graham Thomas has always been a reliable rose for me and has not dissapointed this difficult year. A trio of hybrid musks are showing their class - Matchball, Jacqueline Humery and Sibelius are showing lots of promise but, top prize goes to Darlow's Enigma - all I want from an allotment rose.
    Great thread, Ingrid, and a great time to take stock in the garden while everything takes a deep breath before summer's end and autumn's fresh beginnings.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

The forum's internal photo posting feature only allows one photo to be uploaded at a time, so here is a pic of another of my summer favorites, Wild Edric. Typical of my benign neglect style of gardening, I haven't even gotten around to mulching this rose yet. What is strewn around the base is simply litter from said rose's 80 to 100 foot neighboring tree (canopy is waaaaay up high so plants underneath still get lots of sun). The only care WE has received since March arrival is water and 1 or maybe 2 feedings of 1/2 strength fish emulsion. I like roses that thrive with little effort on my part and which are good companions for Calfornia native plants that do not crave rich feedings or abundant water. An example next to WE being Verbena lilacina 'De la Mina', a very fragrant introduction of the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Verbena lilacina 'De la Mina'.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I second Camp (Suzy) love for my Nahema: the bloom is dainty pink, but the plant is tough. It didn't mind 40 miles mph, breaking out in blooms at 90-100 degrees weather, impeccable clean foliage. The bloom lasts long in a vase, 4 days if picked in bud form. The scent is awesome. I prefer its scent over Radio Times. Best of all, it's 95% thornless. I don't get heavy flush, but steady blooming, which I prefer. It was on sale during Roses Unlimited June sale for $8. Warning: this rose needs constant water to look good, and even more water to bloom, otherwise the leaves get curly.

My heaviest producer in hot weather is Bolero, a French Romantica. It loves the heat, the white blooms don't get scorched in the heat, and smell heavenly like waterlily. It consumes less water due to its compact size. The foliage is shiny and 100% healthy. For yellow I'll take Honey Bouquet, always blooming in the steep hill harden clay, hot sun at 100 degrees. I give it credit for blooming so much under harsh conditions, and it lasts longest in the vase, 5 days, with thick petals.

Kim Rupert's Lynnie is in no-water zone along with Knock-out and Flower-Carpet. Zero mildew on all of them, while the perennials are white during early summer drought. Lynnie has thick petals that stand up to the heat.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I just ordered Stevens' Big Purple for next spring from Burlington Nursery since there isn't one available right now, along with Laurie Annie McDowell. For November I've ordered Devoniensis and La France, the latter because the La France I have has done so well in the heat, and Devoniensis because everyone says how beautiful it is, and also because it's a small rose. Betty Prior that's mentioned in one of the links as a water-wise rose has done poorly for me this year even with lots of water, even with only half-day sun, although it is growing very close to the house wall with all that reflected heat. My Mutabilis had done very well but now is suddenly not blooming so I think the heat finally gotten to it, although it too has late afternoon shade. All any of us can do is try different roses and expect that results may differ from other peoples'.

Wild Edric sounds mouth-watering but I wonder how it would like my alkaline conditions and decomposed granite.

hoovb, gorgeous rose and picture!

Ingrid

• fogrose
    11 years ago

Heat? What heat? Welcome to Pacifica where it almost never gets hot.

I hope Annie Laurie McDowell doesn't want heat because she's not going to get it when she arrives in September.

Ingrid, it will be interesting to compare how that rose does for both of us given our conditions are so different.

Right now Blush Noisette and Cornelia are coming into their 2nd bloom cycle along with Jacques Cartier. But my champion bloomer right now is Clair Matin. I was given a 5gal plant from Russian River Roses (no mail order, sorry) as Jan wanted me to try it out. I was dubious because it's a modern rose but now I'm in love. I'm training it as a pillar.

Diane

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I ran in to the neighbor pruning her roses and she was so kind as to give me a tour (and a few cuttings of the pink street one I liked-now to remember the name)

One of her favorites was an incredible climber on a metal arch, covered in full buds and looking just as incredible as the photos. The big surprise is that it is one that I loved but was told by several people that it balls, rust, mildews and basically was not good in this area. But, I guess in the right spot, Eden can do well here too. It was in an bright but limited sun north facing area AND she has a no spray garden for many years. Now to find a similar micro climate and hope I can get one to be that pretty too

• melissa_thefarm
    11 years ago

Summer is always hot and dry here, but this year is perhaps worse than average because groundwater levels are unusually low, and even native trees and shrubs, thoroughly well established and drought tolerant plants, are looking miserable. At our place we've had two centimeters of rain since mid-June, and temperatures have gone mostly from lows in the upper sixties to seventies to highs in the nineties.
    Since I got back to Italy a couple of weeks ago I've been out in the garden perhaps once (my husband has been watering the baby plants in the evenings). We don't water established plants. Nothing is in bloom now, but if past experience is anything to go by, the roses, mostly old varieties, will be fine. The once-blooming European kinds--Albas, Centifolias, Damasks, Mosses--tend to do better in our sun-blasted garden than the Teas and Chinas, the exception being the Gallicas which need part shade. Likewise the Hybrid Musks like some protection from sun and wind. I've known this for years, but getting the trees and shrubs we so badly need to grow in our garden is a heroic, glacially slow enterprise. I'm becoming steadily more appreciative of weedy creatures like buddleias that can take almost anything.
    The one rose we have in bloom now is my beloved 'Mme. Antoine Mari', which grows a few feet from our front door, at the foot of a terrace in a raised terraced bed. The roses in this area get some protection from sun and wind, and the soil isn't as heavy as it is in the open garden. MAM is currently about eight feet wide and six or seven feet tall, bigger than average because she didn't get her regular spring pruning. She has kept blooming all summer long in spite of not being watered. However the blooms are small and burn up immediately; still the production is impressive and heartening.
    MAM doesn't normally bloom this prolifically in summer. I don't know whether our prolonged spring and the lack of the usual end-of-winter containment pruning had anything to do with it.
    Melissa

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

It's good to hear from you, Melissa - thank you for the info. on once-blooming that do better in hot sun than Teas and Chinas (not hardy in my zone 5a). I'm going to kill a florist-rose water-hog, Bridal Pink, that has an odd scent, with needle-thorns.

Thornless Nahema, which Camp and I both love, is worth the water, since it gives exquisite blooms with the most exhilirating perfume, better than Frederic Mistral, which blooms well in 90-100 degrees heat in my garden.

I check previous threads on roses that bloom well in hot and dry heat. I find that roses which last long in the vase, also stand up to dry heat. People mentioned: St. Patrick, Dame de Couer, Colette, Hot Cocoa, Belle Vichysoise, Angel Face, Frederic Mistral (Romantica), Dolly Parton, Honey Bouquet, Glowing Peace, Bewitched, Tinke, Julia Child, Honey Perfume, Francois Rabelais (Romantica), Bolero floridunda (Romantica), Rouge Royal (Romantica), Red Intuition, Crimson Bouquet, Veteran's Honor, Black Magic, Glowing Peace, Sheila's Perfume.

Many of the above last several days in the vase: Bewitched, St. Patrick, Honey Bouquet, Veteran's Honor, Francois Rabelais. I like the Romanticas since they smell really good in the heat, except for Francois Rabelais, which has no scent.

There's a difference between dry heat and humid heat. Both Sheila's perfume and Rouge Royal can take dry heat, but not humid heat. Sheila's Perfume get BS, and shuts down in humid heat as reported by Texans.

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

For dry heat, these are most often mentioned: Belinda's Dream, Marie Daly, Angel Face, Elle, Gemini, Electric Blanket, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Disneyland, Fabulous, Day Breaker, Elina, and Don Juan climber.

For humid heat, below is a link to roses that bloom well in humid heat from Southwestern Garden Forum:

Here is a link that might be useful: Best roses for humid heat

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

In my dry heat (typical humidity 10-15% daytime), Frederic Mistral, Angel Face, Julia Child, Ascot, Dainty Bess, Blueberry Hill, and probably a few others I can't remember right now, do quite well, and have been blooming all summer. Ballerina also does very well in this heat, but takes rests between flushes. Big Purple is pretty good, too. My best Austin is probably Evelyn, but Young Lycidas is pretty good in the heat, as well as Brother Cadfael. Diane

• sherryocala
    11 years ago

Maman Cochet, Cl is probably the best bloomer during the last week. Mrs B R Cant has two flowers, but they were pretty normal. Napoleon has four or five. Bow Bells has a couple - literally. Clotilde Soupert - a few but they're teensy. I did see one beauty on White Maman Cochet today, and Reve d'Or has scattered flowers. That's it. No glamor shots like Hoovb's. Everything's ugly! This wet, wet summer has been worse than the dry summers. The weeds love it though.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    11 years ago

I only have a tiny garden, so I only have a few roses.
    The ones that do the best in high summer are;

{{gwi:298956}}

Lady Emma Hamilton. In fact, this is a year round rose here.
    It blooms almost 52 weeks a year.

{{gwi:298957}}

Abraham Darby. No difference in size of the flower at all.

{{gwi:298958}}

Aimee Vibert. This rose started flowering in May. It shows no signs of stopping yet.

{{gwi:298959}}

William Shakespeare 2000. As long as he is in shade, he is happy.

{{gwi:298960}}

Blush Noisette. Always looks fresh.

{{gwi:298961}}

Marechal Niel. It is not flowering with the same profusion now, as it did in spring. Even so, a rough count this morning, gave me over 50 blooms.

{{gwi:298962}}

Perdita. Another rose that always looks fresh.

{{gwi:298963}}

Buff Beauty. If these blooms are smaller than in the spring, I can't tell.

{{gwi:298964}}

Teasing Georgia. This is another rose that doesn't take a break in the summer.

{{gwi:231750}}

{{gwi:298966}}

Pat Austin. I cannot recommend this rose at all for a warm climate. She absolutely hates the heat. Each bloom only lasts for two days, even in the shade. BUT, She keeps replacing those blooms all the time and she smells so delicious, I don't mind cosseting her a little.

Except for the photo of Aimee Vibert, (the sun was in the camera lens) all of these photos were taken this morning.
    Daisy

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Belinda's Dream is also excellent in hot humid Florida. Elina blooms much heavier during the summer months than any other time of the year. She is in a heavy flush right now. The blooms are a little smaller but still a nice size. My small flowered noisettes have never quit blooming. The blooms blow quickly in the heat, but there are so many blooms the overall effect of the bush is still lovely.

However, my garden as a whole looks terrible. All of the rain is somehow missing us, and I'm running irrigation. The only things truly happy are the weeds, and it's a never ending battle.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Golden Celebration and Graham Thomas have both given me a handful of summer heat blooms. Surprisingly Reine des Violettes and Rose de Rescht both gave me a second flush rather soon after their spring flush but have shut down now. I may get a smattering of blooms on them in the fall. Honorine de Brabant, which usually does rebloom for me, hasn't given me a single one since her spring flush, go figure?

Otherwise, the minis, polys, shrubs and florries are all blooming regularly and most of the HTs love the heat so they've been blooming right through in flushes. Blooms are definitely smaller in size and muted in color for the most part though.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I don't have a lot blooming, mostly some nice sages and a few late lilies. As for roses, my best are currently Perle d'Or and Marie Pavie. They are among my best roses pretty much all the time. Other roses have a bloom or two or three, and Grandmother's Hat is having a modest flush of a dozen or so, but mostly my garden looks green right now.

What I'm mostly noticing in the garden is that squirrels are eating most of our summer vegetables and the apples, too. I'm not going to get any of our pumpkins and the beans were all destroyed before Tom could harvest them. Grrrr. Rats with fluffy tails.

Rosefolly

• jaspermplants
    11 years ago

My teas are not blooming but they will once it cools down a bit. SDLM looks like she is chomping at the bit to bloom, but it's still too hot.

Roses that will start to bloom immediately, when it gets cooler:
    Mrs BR Cant: love love love this rose
    SDLM: my bloom machine
    Maman Cochet: climber and bush, beautiful
    Mrs Dudley Cross
    Alister Stella Gray

And then I have my monsters: Baronne Prevost and Grandmothers Hat. Both were planted about 1 1/2 years ago and have grown 8 foot canes this summer! I didn't know Grandmother's Hat would get this big! I will have to treat them as climbers, I think. They seem to love our heat.

• jenn
    11 years ago

Melissa (Tessiess), I planted Verbena lilacina 'De la Mina' next to 'Lilian Austin'. It's still quite small but seems to be happy in front of the hot retaining wall.

We do not grow many roses but all of them have fared well this summer. The biggest surprise is puny little Angel Face which I considering moving to a smaller spot where it won't be dwarfed by the much larger roses on both sides.

Double Delight is currently our best looking, healthiest, fullest, bloomiest rose. The one with the least blooms after the heat spell is White Masterpiece.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    10 years ago

Albuquerque (high altitude intense sun and heat) has had very late frosts this year, then incredible high winds and no rain for months. Based on some of the recommendations here, I planted Mrs. BR Cant, Marie Pavie, also tried Laguna, William Shakespeare 2000, Iceberg. Keep in mind these plants are only planted a few months ago.

WS 2000 keeps producing flowers which keep frying and the leaves are progressively becoming more yellow and brown. I shaded one, and the leaves greened up a bit (flowers still turn crispy after 1 day).
    Mrs. BR Cant is growing, leaves look good but flowers fry on day 1.
    Laguna has beautiful fragrant flowers which fry on day 1.
    Iceberg looks pretty good, growing and producing fragrant flushes which last a few days before being heat damaged.

The winner so far has been Marie Pavie, which has endured the wind tunnel (50 mph gusts) against a west facing wall with its intense reflected heat in 100 degree weather (wind, sun and heat all at the same time), and is growing vigorously with no leaf damage, no bud damage, and the fragrant flowers last for several days before fading just like during cooler weather, with no burn damage whatsoever. Amazing!

I'm considering: Souvenir de la Malmaison, Bolero, Pure Perfume, Frederic Mistral, Belinda's Dream (although Belinda hasn't looked very good at the ABQ rose garden).

Thoughts/recommendations?

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi noseometer: I love your username, easy to remember. Ingrid can speak from her hot & dry climate better than I can (SDLM is her fav.)

Here in my Chicagoland we have strong wind ... I don't use bark mulch since the wind blow them all over the lawn. I use horse manure which stays down better. We had a drought last summer with temp. up to 104.

At Cantigny park nearby with 1,200 roses ... the ones blooming at above 100 degrees were: Double Delight, Gene Boerner, Singing-in-the-rain, Bolero, Tournament of Roses, Chicago Peace, and Cherry Parfait. The park has alkaline clay, and the above roses have thick petals that stand up to heat.

In my garden Frederic Mistral and Marie Pavie bloom best when it's wet, but Bolero, Francis Blaise, Firefighter, and Evelyn bloomed during the dry heat up to 100 degrees. Mine are own-roots .. so grafted would be better.

My fav. in summer heat & drought is Honey Bouquet, also mentioned by another person in Roses forum. Frederic Mistral and Firefighter demand more water than Francis Blaise, Evelyn, Bolero, and Honey Bouquet (yellow that doesn't fade in hot sun). Nothing beats FlowerCarpet, I never water those.

My WS 2000 own-root could not handle full-sun, I had to move it to 4 hours of morning sun ... and it does well. In contrast, my own-root Stephen Big Purple handles heat well next to a hot cement wall, just like Diane (Nanadoll) said & so did Texas folks.

You are right about Belinda's Dream doesn't look good for some .... the breeder Robert Rippetoe made similar comment for his dry climate above 100, and sandy CA soil.

In the English Roses Forum link below, RosarianPK and I had a discussion about which roses best for the heat, his temp. reaches 120 degrees in Parkistan.

If I have to rank roses in terms of bush-beauty during last summer's dry spell above 90 degrees, first place would still go to Marie Pavie, then Bolero, Honey Bouquet, Francis Blaise, Firefighter, Gene Boerner, and Singing in the Rain.

Below is Marie Pavie in my garden during spring flush of this year:

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses and soil prep. for hot climate

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Thu, Jun 27, 13 at 22:18

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Daisy
    I just wanted to pop in to say that your garden is incredible!

Ingrid
    We've had an odd spring/early summer in that the usual cool and wet applied, but a patch of heat hit in the middle of it all. The pattern increased some diseases but produced a burst of bloom. Now many roses are resting. Blush Noisette is still blooming, The Prince is blooming, Cecile B is blooming, Tamora is budding up, a few floribundas have a flower or two, hybrid teas are resting, Konigen von Danemark bloomed late but has subsided, Indigo still has a bloom or two, ditto Rose de Rescht, ditto Perle d'Or, ditto Marie Pavie, ditto Zepherine D, ditto Comte de Chambord, and ditto the imposter La Ville from Heirloom which is really a pretty fragrant remontant little thing (whatever it is).

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

I posted this in another thread, but post here again.

Aunt Norie is a rose grower in Temecula, CA, with the highest temp. of 118 F in 1998. She has 1,000 roses, with 275 varieties. She listed Sally Homes and Evelyn among her top 5 as most heat-tolerant ... more info. from her:
    "Hi Chicago: For me the following roses take the heat and repeat very well: Chrysler Imperial - Golden Celebration - Aloha. - Gruss An Aachen & Pink Gruss An Aachen - Secret. - Belinda's Dream, Bewitched. - Berries And Cream. - Quietness(own root) - Marilyn Monroe. - Ingrid Bergman. - Abbaye de Cluny. - Countryman(Buck; own root always in bloom!). - First Kiss. - Frederic Mistral- Gold Glow - High Sociery. - The Endeavor, James Galway - Sally Holmes(own root and easy to start from cuttings) - Bishops Castle (Austin)."

From Straw in Chicagoland: The most drought-tolerant and heat-tolerant rose in my garden, plus always clean is thornless Basyes Blueberry, I have to chase the bees away to smell its intense wild-rose fragrance. From the above list: My Golden-Celebration and Frederic Mistral are both water-hogs as own-root ... they are probably better as grafted. Abbaye de Cluny is also Pat Henry's favorite, she's the owner of Roses Unlimited nursery. Her comment: tall plant - so fragrant.

Francis Blaise, my favorite bloomer at 100 degrees heat, is also on Pat Henry's favorite list. The bush is pretty, the prickles are small and harmless. It's a heavy bloomer, see below:

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    10 years ago

Oh so many choices still to consider! Thanks for you thoughts Strawberryhill and PortlandMysteryRose.
    For some reason I've always disliked yellow flowers, otherwise I'd be interested in Honey Bouquet, and Julia Child (which grows fantastically in the ABQ rose garden, stays compact and the flowers don't burn). I'm hesitant about the chalky pink flowers of Frederic Mistral and Belinda's dream, though they seem to get rave reviews and are said to have good fragrance, which is critical. I'm also not big on the hybrid tea bush appearance (wow, I didn't know I was so critical). I wish Madame Isaac Pereire could take the heat (flowers fry even before they open), since I like that viney open plant form, flower color and form, and of course the scent. Evelyn sounds promising, Sally Holmes, and Flower Carpet are unfortunately said to be not very fragrant but might be worth trying (which Flower Carpet do you like?) . Bolero still sounds good. Souvenir de la Malmaison still sounds good.

Thanks for the link - I wonder if acequia soil is like canal soil?

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Strawberry

How many roses do you grow? Your garden is like, well, a garden packed with gorgeous roses!

Carol

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi Carol: Thank you for your positive feedback .. I love all the pics. of your garden, esp. of your little girl ... would love to see more! I have 52 varieties. I received 6 yesterday from Roses Unlimited, which makes it 58 roses.

Roses in zone 5a stay small due to winter-die back, so I can fit them into my garden. Their being own-roots make them small too. My own-root W. Shakespeare 2000 is the size of a mini-rose. I thought I'm the only one, until Rosefolly reported growing hers in a pot. I'm happy that 2 of my large trees died during last year drought, which means more room for roses.

Hi noseometer: In the English Roses Forum, RosarianPK's canal soil has a pH over 8, with temp. near 120 degrees. His favorite roses that bloomed at high heat are Fragrant Cloud and Meilland roses. Firefighter is also a Meilland rose, does well in my hot summer.

Dry and hot climate usually have alkaline soil. Some tap water are alkaline due municipals putting lime to prevent pipes from being corroded. French roses like Meilland and Romanticas can handle alkaline soil and water well, plus loving the heat. I agree that Frederic Mistral is NOT good for hot sun ... his color get bleached out to blah, plus he's a water-hog in my zone 5a.

When I researched on Peter Mayle for my rose order of next year ... I find people in hot and dry climate really like Peter Mayle. His color is deep-pinkish red, and smells great. Kate (Dublinbay) listed that among her best roses in summer heat. I also saw Braveheart rose blooming at the rose park at 100 degrees, but that has no scent.

Roses with thick petals that last one week in the vase can stand up to heat well, I still regret not getting Bewitched Hybrid tea, that smells good also ... but I already have Frederic Mistral, vase life is shorter, and needs more water.

If you google "Bewitched rose and HMF", it will show the info. that Bewitched rose is heat-tolerant. If you choose ADVANCED SEARCH option in HMF, click on GROWING option (zone, plant use, disease resistant, growing note), then scroll way down to page, and check the box next to HEAT TOLERANT, then click CONTINUE ... it will list the roses that are heat-tolerant such as: Angel Face floribunda, Stephen Big Purple, Bewitched, and Romantica Auguste Renoir.

This post was edited by Strawberryhill on Fri, Jun 28, 13 at 13:43

• roseseek
    10 years ago

One of the best performers here, probably because I'm not stripping it for pollen or pollinating every flower it pushes, is Morey's Pink. It just keeps pushing out the clusters in all directions. Once I finished shredding the queen palm fronds, all the Banksiae and bamboo I had to remove and used it to mulch (three to four inches) deeply, everything is showing its approval. Kim

• altorama Ray
    10 years ago

For me, it's Nymphe Egeria

{{gwi:226700}}

High Country Mignonette (sorry for the blurry pic)

{{gwi:275446}}

Madame Alfred Carriere

{{gwi:298968}}

Rosa mulliganii Boulenger

{{gwi:298969}}

{{gwi:216314}}

This unidentified rambler

{{gwi:298971}}

Seafoam

{{gwi:298973}}

Mary Rose

{{gwi:298974}}