Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose for winter shade

Posted by adamharbeck WA Aust (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 3:00

I have a spot out the back at the front of the rose bed next to radio times where I am considering a new rose bush.
The site is on the southern side of the house and receives a lot of shade from the back of the house during winter but full sun for most of the day during spring, summer and autumn. Will this matter? The Radio Times is on Eastern side and recieves a lot of sun even now while this western part gets more shade.
I am wanting a compact rose which will grow relatively upright and not sprawl out too much.
I had thought perhaps Catherine Mermet or Sharifa Asma.
Will a lack of winter sun be an issue for these ladies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose for winter shade

• Posted by luxrosa s,f, bay area, calif (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 20:40

If you have enough winter chill a modern rose such as 'Sharifa Asma', to become dormant and drop their leaves, thus preventing photosynthesis, I would think that the winter shade shouldn't matter.
Because 'Catherine Mermet' is an Old Garden Tea and can continue to make new growth during the winter, I'd think that the rate of growth during winter would merely become suspended or slowed down depending on how deep the shade is, to make sure I'd ask a local person who has experience growing Tea roses in your area whether the winter shade will make a difference to its' well being.

Best wishes for beautiful roses,
Lux

o

Thanks Lux,

That's a good point. Roses here rarely go dormant (Radio Times is still in full leaf at the end of winter).
I think i'll try something regardless, i have been impressed with peoples reports on young lucidius.

Thanks again.

o

Mutabilis is not a rose that would work in your situation, but as an example mine has maybe two to three hours of sun in the winter (which is usually the rainy season so days are not always sunny) and then more sun in the summer and it doesn't seem the least bit fazed by that regimen. Of course my climate is hot and dry in the summer so most roses appreciate shade here, especially in the afternoon.

Ingrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here