Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daisyincrete

Yellow/apricot rose for arbour

I am looking for a yellow or apricot rose for an arbour.

It must be large flowered, heavily scented and have quick rebloom. It must also not get fried petals in sun.

The ones that I am considering are;

Celine Forestier

The Pilgrim

Teasing Georgia

Crown Princess Margareta

Has anyone had any experience with any of these?

Or perhaps suggest something, that I haven't thought of.

I already have, Golden Celebration and Abraham Darby.

Thanks, Daisy.

Comments (14)

• michaelg
    13 years ago

I like Papi Delbard. It is a yellow-cream-pink-apricot blend, very large with fruity fragrance, resistant to blackspot. Not unduly vigorous. Repeat seems average for modern climbers.

• elemire
    13 years ago

Our relatives grow Crown Princess Margareta here, but they chop her way down after first bloom, so it is not a very happy shrub. Color is more deep muddy orange than yellow/apricot though, unless the label was incorrect.

• jacqueline9CA
    13 years ago

Have you considered Buff Beauty? I have it growing in full sun, and also in partial sun. It is a moderate climber for me.

Jackie

• jerijen
    13 years ago

May I suggest 'Reve d'Or'? It's the easiest of the yellow Tea-Noisettes to grow, and very, very disease-resistant. The link below shows it inland, in the Sacramento Cemetery, but it's great near the coast, too.

{{gwi:299509}}

Jeri

• Molineux
    13 years ago

THE PILGRIM is more of a pure yellow; actually in hot sun the blooms will be white blushed yellow in the center. A very beautiful rose (IMHO the most beautiful of the English yellows) with a delightful fragrance. Very fresh and Tea like. If you can't smell Tea rose don't worry. You WILL be able to detect the astringent fragrance wafting off this handsome stud. I should warn you about the vigor. The Pilgrim is a very strong rose and doesn't need any kind of help from a rootstock. Purchase this rose own root. You will also get better repeat and growth habit if you don't over fertilize. I get the best performance when I lay off the Miracle Grow completely, using only compost and alfalfa.

Another good rose in the apricot-yellow range is CLIMBING LADY HILLINGDON. The exact color of the blooms on this Tea rose is "egg yolk yellow". Fragrance is consistently strong and sweet. A stunningly beautiful rose. For your conditions and criteria this would be the rose I'd chose because it is the exact color you are looking for, the flowers are gorgeous, fragrance is outstanding, and the repeat bloom is superior to THE PILGRIM. Plus, it is real antique rose, being a sport from the Tea rose hybridized in 1910.

• Campanula UK Z8
    13 years ago

crepuscule?

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

I was also going to mention Lady Hillingdon, which was a wonderful climber for me, really nice for a warm, dry climate. I loved the golden color of the blooms and the very nice foliage. It's very difficult to obtain one here now for some reason as otherwise I'd definitely have one in this garden. Celine Forestier for me is not really close to yellow, more of a cream/pink combination. She's not one of my favorite climbers and the rebloom is not as good as Cl. Lady Hillingdon or Reve d'Or.

Ingrid

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Michaelg, Papi Delbard looks fantastic on Delbards website, and on Help me Find. I will have to find out if the petals can take this harsh sun we have here.

Elemire, I think you are probably right about Crown Princess Margarita, being a muddy orange. I think that I will take her off of my list.

jaqueline3, I am sorry. I forgot to say I already have Buff Beauty. She is one of my favourites.

jeri, That is a superb photo of Reve d'Or. Mouthwatering!
    That is certainly another one for my list.

Molineux, I think I agree with you about The Pilgrim fading to white in the sun. I grew her in Cornwall, and she was a beautiful colour there. Mind you, there wasn't much sun!!

Suzy, Crepuscle, ticks all the boxes except the one for scent. My sense of smell is so poor, I need very strongly scented roses.

Ingid, Your's, and Molineux's idea about Lady Hillingdon has put me in a quandry. It is so tempting. I thought, that that was the one I would go for, until I saw it's size on Help me Find. They give her width, as up to 18foot. Does she really get as wide as that?

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I hear conflicting reports on the rebloom on Celine Forestier.

Masha said that Crown Princess Margareta is a bit unweildy? But if you have a good spot for it, it's probably good.

you can see some more detailed responses in this thread I asked about yellows in a little while ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow thread

• michaelg
    13 years ago

I have Papi Delbard in a mild summer climate, but ceterum grows him on the coastal plain in Wilmington, NC, which is pretty hot (summer average 90F). She is enthusiastic about PD.Of course, I have no idea how it would do in Crete.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Daisy, my Cl. Lady Hillingdon was only about three and a half years old when I moved so I don't know about the eventual width or height. However, it's not a rose that's difficult to prune (no vicious thorns that I can remember). I used to love picking blooms from this climber for the house.

Ingrid

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am bumping this back up, because I am a slow thinker, and it has taken me this long to decide what to do!!!
    Well, I still haven't decided, which rose to grow up my little arbour. Possibly Teasing Georgia, of possibly the two Golden Celebration which I already have.
    However, Ingrid's and Molineux's description of climbing Lady Hillingdon, has made me fall in love.
    The only place I could put her, would be at the base of a fair sized plum tree, to grow up through it.
    It would be in full shade until it had grown into the sun.
    Does anybody know if it could cope with this?
    Thanks. Daisy

• clanross
    13 years ago

I strongly second Reve D'Or. Mine has done extremely well on an arbor. My Buff beauty is lovely, but I would have a hard time making it climb--it's more of spreading shrub for me.

• taoseeker
    13 years ago

Hi Daisy, lots of fine roses mentioned here.

I live in a very different climate than you, but one of my absolute favorites is Gloire de Dijon. I love the yellow, apricot and sometimes pink colours and the fragrance is really good too. If it does well in your area it's worth checking out. When it blooms in summer if feels like such a luxury to have this beauty in the garden.

Some of the modern once are good too, like Compassion and Penny Lane, but as always it does depend on how well they grow in your area.

Best of luck with your rose search :-)