Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Debating whether or not to add another rambler...

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 14 at 9:52

Last year I embarked on a big landscaping project - planting around the edges of the yard to provide privacy and something nicer than old fences to look at. Most of the things I planted are doing very well, the rambling and species roses in particular.

Over the summer I decided to have a trellis installed so I could get the roses up higher and not train them directly onto the fence. The trellis is 80' long, and so far I have Rosa gentiliana at one end, Mme. Alfred Carriere a little past the middle, and a Lonicera ciliosa between them. I'm tempted now to plant a Yellow Lady Banks at the other end, which is a relatively shady corner with trees on two sides that the Lady could climb into.

I'm debating this decision, I know that given time Mme. Alfred Carriere and Rosa gentiliana will cover 80' without a problem, but I also think that Lady Banks will probably use the trellis to get up into the trees behind it and therefore won't be competing for horizontal room too much.

For those of you with greater experience, what do you think I should do? I don't want to harm the plants by cramming too many into a small space, but I really want to see trusses of buttery yellow blossoms hanging out of those trees.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Debating whether or not to add another rambler...

My yellow Lady Banks always wants to go UP, so I second your idea about planting it so that it can go up into the trees. It likes heat, so the closest you can put it to a Southern exposure would be good. Here is mine climbing up our house.

Jackie

o
RE: Debating whether or not to add another rambler...

Wow, gorgeous rose Jackie! That is exactly why I want to find a place to plant a yellow Lady Banks.

I think I'll go ahead and plant one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here