Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sow_what

Sale at Heirloom Roses

Heirloom Roses is having a sale -- up to 50% off. I purchased from them not long ago, and was very happy with the customer service, the shipping, and all their roses, which were clean, healthy, well packaged, and much bigger than I expected. here's a link:

http://www.heirloomroses.com/sale?utm_campaign=summer%20sale&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=email

jannike

Here is a link that might be useful: Heirloom Roses Sale

Comments (9)

• portia
    9 years ago

I got the email early this morning and got my order in, I saw a few varieties sold out in the time I got the email and an hour later!

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

I didn't notice the email and only found out about the sale this afternoon when I checked GW. It's pretty late in the season, and hot here to plant, but if there is a sale, I can be tempted. Fortunately some I would have ordered, such as Spencer and The Last Dance were sold out, but one I have been wanting wasn't.

The one rose I ordered is the old damask Kazanlik, still used for production of attar of roses. Damasks like hot dry climates (even hotter than mine in the areas of desert in Iran where they thrive), so it is a good choice for me eventhough my area has a mediterranean climate. Kazanlik is a once-bloomer but that doesn't bother me at all. I have other once-ers and they are lovely. This one fits in with other more primitive oldies and species that I favor. Not just for their beauty but for their value to local wildlife as shelter and food sources.

Two others on the 50% off list (meaning at a price of $8.50 per band) that I can highly recommend are Cassie and Omi Oswald. Cassie blooms here most of the year and does so with only infrequent light applications of fish emulsion and little water. A superb and healthy rose that covers itself in tiny, white, sweet smelling flowers.

Omi Oswald has almost single flowers of pale yellow to white. They are beloved by multiple types of bees, and since these poor creatures are in decline, a plant they like is a good thing in my garden. The blooms look like hibiscus flowers, sporting a little pompom in the center, which is very cute. Omi Oswald hasn't shown a trace of either rust or mildew and blooms repeatedly. Even now in August heat. Foliage looks excellent. Very low maintenance, needing below average food and water and is quite happy. Mine does have shaded roots due to being planted in the middle of a spreading natal plum.

Melissa

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Pirontina looks wondrously beautiful in pictures but, alas, I find no indication that it can be grown in any climate colder than USDA 7.

I am glad to see folks buying the antique roses; several have already sold out.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

I got a 'Narrow Water' for the obelisk I recently asked about as well as 'John Hopper' as another pleasurable "experiment." I put in the order when I saw that Pickering is closing for now. If the number of rose nurseries closing continues at this rate, I won't have many other chances to nab a lot of the varieties I've noted in my lengthy list of "Roses I'd Like to Grow."

I got into roses too late to order from Vintage and I missed out on such a tremendous source. I've been doing my best to help out the remaining nurseries the last few years. I'm running out of space for non-native or very drought-tolerant plants, but I will continue to purchase when I can from the likes of Heirloom, Rogue Valley, RU, ARE, and the others.

I know now that the next time Rose Petals Nursery has Blanche Lafitte available, I won't wait to see if another variety I'm interested in is also available to make the order a bit more worth my while as a cross-country buyer. It may be the only chance I have at acquiring one.

I hope people have ordered some varieties they were eyeing!

Jay

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I had no business ordering roses from Heirloom since I planned on ordering from the other coast. But I really did want Julia Child. And just had one more spot I was saving for one last Barbie rose and I missed it as a free rose from Rogue Valley, so Paul Transom is heading this way

I was actually looking for something different and noticed the sale before they sent out the email. Got my order in early.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Nastarana - if it makes you feel any better about missing the antiques you wanted, a note at the top of their page says they are only taking orders for immediate shipment, which counts us out in zone 5. Not much comfort, I realize, but at least it's better than getting a rose you really wanted only to have it not put down enough roots to survive the winter.

Cynthai

• nastarana
    9 years ago

Cynthia, I have already resigned myself to buying roses for spring delivery only. This time of year I am perusing the Old House Gardens and Fedco bulb catalogues as avidly as I used to comb though Vintage lists. In fall come the seed company end of season sales, from which I stock up for winter sowing. I am glad to see evidence that there does remain some small market for the antiques. Margaret

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

I didn't need any more roses - or any other plants - but why pass up a sale? I got: Charles Kuralt [been wanting to try this one for some time], Narrow Water [know its thorny, but have a spot for it], Omi Oswald, Polka, Rose Gaujard and Spiced Coffee - this, I understand, is a bit temperamental but love the color. Glad to hear Omi Oswald and Narrow Water are good ones.
    Judith

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Margaret - I know what you mean about seeds and bulbs. I'm preparing to put in my fall bulb order with the wholesale companies I use, and even though the temps are in the 90's it's approaching fall bulb time.

I stand corrected, BTW about needing to only order immediate delivery roses! I went ahead and ordered the ones I wanted after hearing a good report from someone on the regular rose forum, and Heirloom emailed me back that yes, this sale also applies to spring delivery of roses. Woo-hoo - gotta love a sale!

Judith - in my zone, I haven't found that Spiced Coffee is at all temperamental, and in fact it's one of my more reliable roses in the tending-toward-russet tones. It isn't russet very often for me, even in part shade, but it's surprisingly hardy and even bounced back after the polar vortex winter in my zone 4 pocket. The subtle coloring and double blooms are to die for.

Cynthia