Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Vintage Autumn Crop Now Available

The first batch of new roses of the autumn crop from Vintage is now available! Some roses have many bands available, some only one or a few. The second group will be released later in August.

Ingrid

Comments (25)

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I placed a small order this morning, a couple of roses I thought I'd like to try that have not be available recently, Mme. la Duchesse d'Auerstadt and "Sawyer Plot Tea".

Rosefolly

• fogrose
    11 years ago

I added these roses to the recent 6am roses order. Nice that this time it was 8am so I got a bit more sleep.

Paul's Early Blush
    Elie Beauvilain
    ORG Renae Seedling

I tried Mme. la Duchesse d'Auerstadt a few years ago and it never did well for me. Hope you have more success, Rosefolly.

Diane

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

I hope so too. If not, well, I'll pass it along. Actually, I've already altered my order. I ran across a statement that "Sawyer Plot Tea" may be one of the many incarnations of Madame Lambard, which I already grow, so I shot off a quick email to Gita asking to change it to Souvenir de Pierre Notting.

Rosefolly

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I picked Marjorie Palmer and Leveson Gower. Since I won't be receiving the roses until November I wanted to leave room for the second batch to be offered later this month. I'm familiar with Leveson Gower since I already have two but wonder about how well Marjorie Palmer does in the heat. Being an Alister Clark creation, it ought to be suitable for my garden.

Diane, ORG Renae Seedling sounds interesting; I didn't spot it on the list.

Ingrid

• fogrose
    11 years ago

Ingrid, they had 11 ORG Renae listed. Gregg told me it grows approx. 7ft x 7ft. Supposed to be shade tolerant too which I need. It also grows on a fence at Santa Clara University so it gets plenty of heat and sun there so may be good for you.

Diane

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

I received the email last night and thought it's triple digits outside, not the most pleasant weather for gardening or anything else outdoors either. Of course I had to take a peek at just what goodies were in this release. There was one rose that really piqued my interest and another that I'd looked for many time over the years on the Vintage site, yet had never seen it offered. Still the inferno-like conditions outside were an effective deterrent. And I rationalized that the most-wanted rose was in short supply and would be sold ASAP in the morning. That was my story until I checked Gardenweb early this afternoon and saw the posts on the Vintage new release. Gone was my resolve.;) Decided if most-wanted was already out of stock I wouldn't order anything, if it was still available then it was meant to be and I'd order. So which rose was this? The eglantine Julia Mannering, and her partner in crime Princess Marie.

As of this afternoon I have on order:
    Julia Mannering
    Princess Marie
    Grace de Monaco
    Micrugosa Alba
    Alba Odorata
    Francois Foucard

With room for 2 more in the box if Vintage releases anything irresistible later this month. Thankfully they won't be shipping for a while and hopefully the newbies will arrive in more reasonable weather.

Melissa

• fogrose
    11 years ago

Melissa, you can request Vintage hold shipping until next spring if you want to wait that long.

Diane

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    11 years ago

Rosefolly, Souvenir de Pierre Notting is such a winner here: heat tolerant as all get out and never even a hint of PM, ever (as clean as Etoile de Lyon, which he resembles but, growing them together, it is quite clear they are two different roses). The same could not be said of Mme. Lambard (now gone).

Melissa, Alba Odorata is one of the ultimate inferno roses, in my experience thus far. The foliage and buds, alone, are worth it.

I went for "Glendora" (has been on my list a while), Etoile de Feu (only 1, so we will see), and Baby Alberic (always like the way he looks at the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden, though he's getting crowded out by his neighbors there).

~Debbie

• nastarana
    11 years ago

I placed an order for Ms. Baker, if available, which it probably isn't and Pink Pillar, with News being the first alternate.

I do hope there will be some of the rarer albas later this summer.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Tessie, I asked for November delivery for mine. Since the winters are mild that gives them even longer to settle in before the summer heat than if you have them shipped in the spring. Besides, it's fun to get them as soon as possible.

Diane, I'm considering Annie Laurie McDowell but now this rose also seems very tempting. Oh, the agony of decision....

Ingrid

• catsrose
    11 years ago

I put ORG Seedling in two years ago beneath a redbud beside my little pond. It is already close to 7' tall and is now filling out. The canes are very long and flexible. I'm entwining her through the tree, which is old and dying slowly. Right now ORG gets lots of shade, but eventually she will provide the shade for the pond.
    Most of my selections are to replace roses hit by the RRD contagion I had in '10&'11.
    I do wish VG would offer more of the old roses and fewer Foribundas and HTs.

• fogrose
    11 years ago

Ingrid, I have a 1gal Annie Laurie McDowell on hold for me at Long Ago Roses and just can't wait til September when it's cooled down enough to ship. Very excited about that rose.

catsrose, thanks for your comment on ORG Renae and shade. The spot I have in mind will get some sun midday but is shaded in the morning.

I also wish Vintage offer more of the antiques. Rarer Albas would be wonderful, nastarana.

Diane

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Well, I was a little late because I wasn't planning on ordering, but I glanced through the list again and gave in! I just emailed my order in, but asked that it be held until Spring...maybe I'll add more from the next release. I was very excited to see that there were more OGRs on this list, as compared to the last (but, I would have liked to have seen a few gallicas & centerfolias).

I requested:
    Serratipetala
    Francois Coppee
    Tip-Top
    Emily Gray
    Fruhlingsduft
    William Jesse/California Malton

Alternates:
    Glendora
    Night, Lady Sackville

Crossing my fingers!

Tammy

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I'm a sucker for Lilac and fell in love with "Lilac Dawn" offered by Vintage's new crop. My full-sun garden next year would be all mauves mixed with yellows. It's tough to find a mauve that stands the intense sun in Chicagoland's brief summer, and the cold of zone 5a. I already got the bed made, just have to put the bricks in. Austin Wise Portia get fried here in partial shade above 80 degrees.

Anyone know what are the hardy, drought-tolerant, mauves that won't get scorched in intense sun? Thanks for any info.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    11 years ago

The delayed shipping is a good feature. My roses aren't coming until October, hurray! My local botanic garden recommends fall planting for my area, and I've found their advice to be right on the mark. So cooler temps (I hope!) for me to plant when I won't keel over from the heat, and also a time that is likely to give the roses a better start.

Btw, there were some oddities on the release list (that don't appear on the website), such as "No tag Sangerhausen", "SC-24-6 Unknown Rambler". Anybody have any extra info on these or similar mysteries?

I'm also hoping for more old roses in the next release, particularly eglantines, species, albas, and bourbons.

I did order a hybrid tea which is kind of unusual for me, but it's an oldie but goodie--Grace de Monaco (already out of stock too). Last year I saw it at Eurodesert while being given a tour of the garden by Cliff Orent. I wasn't thinking to add another hybrid tea (and going there it was best to try to discipline oneself to keep to a shopping list!) but I made a mental note of this beautiful rose. Not typical in habit for a hybrid tea. It was missing the bare knees and stiff demeanor. Instead I saw a VERY large and graceful shrub, befitting it's namesake in elegance and charm. And covered in the most glorious silvery pink fragrant flowers that looked like they came from a Monet painting.

Anyone else care to share why you chose the roses you did?

Melissa

Original Author
    11 years ago

strawberryhill, I had Lilac Dawn from Vintage some years ago and loved the color, but for me it just wouldn't grow. It might have been too hot with our long, hot summers and mild winters, and I hope you have better luck with it. Location can make all the difference.

I chose my roses with the hope that they will be able to tolerate the heat. If global warming continues, which of course it will, I wonder if any roses will make it in the long run in many areas. I'm trying to choose those that aren't too delicate to stand the heat.

Ingrid

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Thank you, Ingrid, for that info. Whatever doesn't grow in CA won't grow in Chicagoland either, it's intense heat and intense cold here.

Hi Melissa: I checked "Grace de Monaco" out, almost had a heart attack at how beautiful it is. I love Meilland roses, there are a few that's hardy in my zone 5a, such as 2007 Sweet Promise. Utter delight to behold, petals so soft yet firm. I can stick my nose in that HUGE bloom and it feels like spring-time fresh apple blossoms - sheer delight. It's also a Hybrid tea, but full like a shrub.

The Encyclopedia of Roses stated that Meilland strives for perfection: perfect bush-shape, perfect scent, perfect form....

I'm ordering Golden Border from Angels Nursery, which Melissa has. I wonder how's the scent on this thornless rose that's loaded with blooms. Thank you, Melissa, for any info. on Golden Border.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Grace de Monaco

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

I'm thrilled to see Vintage up and running with all these selections. There'll be more coming too.

• odinthor
    11 years ago

Ingrid's experience with 'Lilac Dawn' sounds like mine with another lilac one, 'Amy Vanderbilt'. I'm pretty patient--well, with roses, at least--but Amy wouldn't grow and wouldn't grow, and a few years of this was enough. I dug it out; but I was reluctant to toss it, as the lilac roses really bring a needed note into the garden. I put it into a two-gallon pot . . . where it has begun growing much more than it ever did in the ground. Meantime, I also have a potted 'Lilac Dawn' in its first season with me, and it's doing splendidly in the pot. I wonder if the problem isn't the climate so much as the soil . . . ?

Meanwhile, with the situation of my Vintage Gardens order, I am a little chagrined, as I had quickly put together a planned order . . . and went to the site to actually place the order . . . and the main rose motivating my order, though on the availability list, was not to be found on the site. I e-mailed them for direction how to proceed . . . am still waiting for an answer . . . and meantime two of the other roses I wanted sold out. Bah!

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Thank you, Odinthor, for that great tip on Lilac Dawn and Amy Vanderbilt roses doing better in the pots. Potting soil is more acidic than alkaline clay. MiracleGro potting soil pH is 6.5, versus 7.7 for my clay soil. I checked the lineage tree of Lilac Dawn, it has a hefty dose of "Robin Hood", which gave someone in alkaline clay a hard time.

That's my main reason for paying $20 for premium membership to HMF, so I can trace the lineage for best performance in my alkaline clay. There's this almost thornless, striped "Berries 'n Cream" or Calypso that Vintage sells. Anyone grow this beauty? Thanks for the info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berries 'n Cream or Calypson rose

• landlady
    11 years ago

Sophie's Perpetual
    Autumn
    Rubens

so far....

Yippee......

Original Author
    11 years ago

Berries 'n Cream looks beautiful. I have a serious weakness for striped roses. I wonder if this one likes heat....

• fogrose
    11 years ago

odinthor, next time just send an email order at the appropriate time like I did. I didn't try to order from their website. I'm not sure if all the roses were on the site at 8am.

Diane

• TNY78
    11 years ago

I still haven't heard back regarding which varieties from my Friday order are available...I'm so anxious and the suspense is killing me!

Tammy

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Lilac Dawn does very well for me, and my summers are very hot.
    kay