jerijen
11 years ago

'Reve d'Or,' in the Dog Days Of Summer

Jeri

Coastal Ventura Co., SoCal

Comments (14)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    11 years ago

You must have just the right conditions for it, Jeri. Much as I baby mine it's just not happy now that it's gotten even hotter. Perhaps if it were free-standing it would be better, but against the house wall it can't seem to thrive. It's a beautiful and graceful rose that deserves more than I can give it.

Ingrid

• jerijen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think, up against the house wall might well be too hot for it. I've seen other people do it with various roses, but it never seems to work for us.

This rose is at the gate to the steps down the South-facing hill. It and its arbor-mate get the full benefit of our normal sea breeze, but with hours of full sunshine.

When the neighbor's Italian Stone Pine came down a year or so ago, it opened up the sun for those roses, but damaged the facing plant, and destroyed their arbor. Today, DH is assembling their new arbor, so both plants should soon be climbing happily.

This may be the ONLY yellow Tea-Noisette that really likes our climate. And even it is happier, as the overall climate gets warmer.

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

You tease me with pictures of this beauty all the time, Jeri! But I know full well it would not like my winters, lol!

• jerijen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No. For you, it would probably be a pitiful pot plant.

But then, I cannot grow Gallicas, Damasks, Albas . . .

Jeri

• mudbird
    11 years ago

Lovely colors! Especially considering hot weather. I think you are right on about RdOr being the only yellow Tea-Noisette that truly likes our coastal climate with extremes of ocean winds, chilly cloudy mornings, and hot dry Santa Ana winds.
    What a pretty flower for the coast - soft colors and a slightly wildflower charm - perfect!

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    11 years ago

The only place left when I planted mine was in off-and-on sun through the day and I worried about enough light, but it has grown and bloomed very nicely. From what has been said, it sounds like that actually is a good spot for that rose here.

I love it. Here's a "glamour" shot from last April, but even in the heat now, there are some pretty blooms on it (I would post a current picture, but DH has absconded with the camera to Wyoming!):

{{gwi:220128}}

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I love, love, love everything about this rose. I have two.

• steelrose
    11 years ago

I have one potted that I'd like o put in the ground but the only currently available spot is semi-shaded. What do you all think? I'd be grateful for guidance.

Colleen

• jerijen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When you say "semi-shaded," what, exactly, to you mean?

Full sun for half the day?
    Or half-shade for all-day?

I find this rose does best for US (grows best/blooms most) in where it has more sun. But remember, our overall climate is moderate ...

. . . tho, Mudbird's description:
    "extremes of ocean winds, chilly cloudy mornings, and hot dry Santa Ana winds"
    is really apt.

I just don't know what it would prefer, in a hotter, more inland location.

Jeri

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    11 years ago

Colleen, here (Livermore -- gets hot) it gets about 3 hours full sun during the morning, then gets shaded (light shade) by the pepper tree for 1 1/2 hours, then full sun for about 2 hours, then gets shaded by the neighbor's redwood tree (heavy shade) for another 1 1/2 hours, then full sun again (at least a couple of hours) until the sun goes down. Its sun exposure is increasing as it gets further above 6' and clearing the fence on the west side of it...Debbie

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Great picture! I'm able to grow it here on the 6b/7a line, but its planted almost right up against the brick part of my house (along with Mt Vernon Purple Noisette & Lady Hillingdon), so it helps keep it a little warmer in winter without too much die back. Then again, its only 2 years old ad we haven't had a terrible winter since its been planted.

Tammy

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Mine are in full, blazing all-day Florida sun that I had to move Secret Garden MC from. SGMC was growing in reverse in that spot. They have been in the ground about a year and so far are doing well.

• fogrose
    11 years ago

My RD'Or gets 4-41/2 hours of sun approx 10am-2pm in Pacifica which means fog many days. She's new but she's happy and blooming.

• buford
    11 years ago

Mine has exploded with new growth from all the rain we've had and looks quite the mess. But when it blooms, I think it will look spectacular. It's one of my best bloomers, although it does do it in spurts. And, best of all, NEVER EVER shows blackspot.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor