Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rugosa-Pink Grootendorst, deadhead?

Posted by gmcaw85 none (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 13:59

I just moved into our new home over the winter and have been trying to identify all our inherited plants! I believe I have a Pink Grootndorst rose bush that's already well established.
Do I dead head the spent clusters of roses? New ones have been blooming throughout the late spring and summer but the spent ones are looking quiet ugly on the plant.
How do I prune in Fall and/ or spring?
I cut it down SIGNIFICANTLY this spring as most of the plant was old woody and dead. A lot has grown back but the over all shape is unattractive I left some too tall and the new growth makes it all look so in even.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rugosa-Pink Grootendorst, deadhead?

On a repeat-blooming rose you always want to dead-head for best repeat bloom. On some rugosas the hips are very pretty and some people leave them on toward the end of the blooming season for that reason. I don't know whether Grootendorst has pretty ones that are worth leaving on.

This is a fairly vigorous rose and some gentle pruning in order to give the bush a better shape shouldn't hurt it, and you'll have a more attractive rose to look at.

Ingrid

o

Gmcaw85, I've been looking for a white Grootendorst, but recently learned that Burling has the pink one. Do you have a photo you can share?

Thanks,
jannike

o

I wouldn't do any major pruning before spring. At that time you can do pretty much anything you want to make it look decent.

Deadheading is up to you. I don't think Grootendorsts set hips. Either way, if they are ugly and you want to get rid of them, get rid of them.

These are not small plants. Hopefully it was planted in a place that can accommodate something that can get 6 x 6 ft.

o

Grootendorst seem to handle almost anything. It doesn't set hips and you can safely deadhead clusters. I usually prune mine in spring and only light clean up later in the season. I doubt you need to worry too much about hardening off for winter with the hardy rugosa varieties. If they loose some of the tender new growth when winter comes, it doesn't affect the plant much, and it will grow back quickly in spring.

o

Thanks for the replies everyone! Im thankful its such a durable plant, the house was vacant for close to 3 years so luckily it is still blooming!
Attached is the picture, it has grown so much since I cut it down in Spring, its now about 5ft, but as you can see its over all shape is unattractive, I didnt really know what I was doing and left anything that looked alive on the plant alone and the old thick dead wood I sawed off, the result now is a very uneven plant.

o

I really don't think it looks that bad at all; the leaf cover helps to disguise the shape. Looking at it now I wouldn't do anything to it until the regular early spring pruning. I think it's rather pretty, and it really looks healthy. You've done a great job on it.

Ingrid

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here