Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

How bs-resistant is Scepter'd Isle?

dublinbay z6 (KS)
11 years ago

I know we already have a Scepter'd Isle thread going--and I learned how lovely and graceful and floriferous it is, but it would be a good idea to provide it with some late afternoon shade.

All that sounds wonderful and the pics are gorgeous, but I'm still not hearing how disease-resistant it is--except from one person who sprays monthly and says it doesn't have many BS problems (I should hope not, if you are spraying every month!)

Since BS resistance makes or breaks the deal for me, I'd appreciate it if any of you could comment on that feature. Quite frankly, I don't care how it performs as a cut flower nor how good/bad it smells nor do I expect any of my roses to look their best in the middle of our hot summers (none of my roses do!). What I want to know is how Scepter'd Isle performs as a garden plant, considering the growing season as a whole--is it lovely? does it bloom a lot? is it BS-resistant?

So far the answers to the first two questions seem to be "YES"! So what about BS-resistance without having to spray? That's what I need to know.

If you can think of a better candidate--light pink, lovely, about 5x3 (maybe 4x3), floriferous, BS-resistant--I'd love to hear about it.

By the way, as a reminder, I'm in Zone 6 midwest.

Thanks,

Kate

Comments (14)

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Do you have 'Quietness'? It is reported resistant in the Midwest. It will be wider than 3', though. 'Mother of Pearl' meets your specs, but has hybrid tea form.

• lenie
    11 years ago

I planted my scepter d isle last year and I love it !it blooms Alot ,I don't spray soit will get a little bit of blackspot just couple leaves on the bottom part of the plant ,its fragrant too.,I love the color and the golden stamen in the middle it's very pretty,for me it has a good resistance to blackspot compare to my other Austin roses.

• User
    11 years ago

well, yes, it does get BS, and towards the end of July, quite a lot. It is almost naked in my neighbours garden right now (but so is my Graham Thomas). Terrible next to a wall but if grown in the open, it can hold it's own a bit better. I have already stated that Austins are not my choice for disease resistance - I have seen them grown remarkably well, just not in my garden. If you can get your hands on any of Louis Lens roses (I am loving Matchball and Jaqueline Humery), they are very healthy. There is also a rather good modern rose called Sweet Haze which has been a star in my garden - great panicles of pink roses with white centres, very healthy, Might be a Tantau rose?
    I don't really have that many pink shrubs (Penelope is nothing like as healthy as I would like) but I am also enjoying a moss rose, Madame Louis Leveque, lovely clean glaucous foliage, still putting out a few blooms. Fritz Nobis is a good rose (at my college) as, I think, many Kordes roses are. Finally, I have been hugely impressed with the health of the spate of hulthemias around - Harkness roses have a really good one I hope will be available in the US, Alissar, Princess of Phoenicia.

• User
    11 years ago

well, yes, it does get BS, and towards the end of July, quite a lot. It is almost naked in my neighbours garden right now (but so is my Graham Thomas). Terrible next to a wall but if grown in the open, it can hold it's own a bit better. I have already stated that Austins are not my choice for disease resistance - I have seen them grown remarkably well, just not in my garden. If you can get your hands on any of Louis Lens roses (I am loving Matchball and Jaqueline Humery), they are very healthy. There is also a rather good modern rose called Sweet Haze which has been a star in my garden - great panicles of pink roses with white centres, very healthy, Might be a Tantau rose?
    I don't really have that many pink shrubs (Penelope is nothing like as healthy as I would like) but I am also enjoying a moss rose, Madame Louis Leveque, lovely clean glaucous foliage, still putting out a few blooms. Fritz Nobis is a good rose (at my college) as, I think, many Kordes roses are. Finally, I have been hugely impressed with the health of the spate of hulthemias around - Harkness roses have a really good one I hope will be available in the US, Alissar, Princess of Phoenicia.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm--Scepter'd Isle doesn't sound as good as I hoped.

I was browsing around yesterday and came across picures of Marchesa Boccella. Think it might fulfill my needs? About 5x3 ft bush, lovely flowers, good rebloom, AND BS-resistant?

Kate

• User
    11 years ago

that is a very floppy sprawly sort of thing.Absolutely not upright. It is (unfortunately for me) unkillable (I have had it for years and it just refuses to die), Great smell though, but the blossom does suffer from proliferation and the foliage always looks as though spidermite has been all over it(kinda blotchy, pale and speckled). Sorry Kate, not having much luck with any of my suggestions here. It does get big though - my meighbour at the allotment has one which is easily 10feet by 10 feet. Oh, the rebloom is reliable but not fast. Many people swear by this rose - a couple of famous english gardeners class it as their favourites (Alan Titchmarsh, who did at least train as a gardener before becoming a fame whore.) It does get a bit of BS bit - nothing like so bad as many others so, if you like little fluffy blooms with a zillion petals and a slightly cloying but definate rose scent (faint praise, I know) then give it a go. Portlands are an interesting class, much underrated (I also have plain old Duchess of Portland, a good rose but an iffy colour).

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmmm--still looking. I see that the Austin catalog includes Comte de Chambord and Queen of Denmark, though the Queen may be a bit too wide for my spot, but Comte is listed as 4x3 with good repeat and disease resistance. BS resistance is mainly what I'm concerned about. I'd enjoy having an Old Rose if it meets the other criteria.

And I see that Austin says his Wedgwood Rose can be grown as a shrub about 5x3. He says it is "extremely healthy" also. And Wisley 2008 similar--about 5x3 and "very healthy" and also received "Best Rose for Landscaping in 2009.

Actually, I'm tempted by Austin's Princess Alexandra of Kent--I want it so badly, if I could just find a spot for it. It's a bit shorter and a bit darker pink than I want for the spot this thread is about, but I'm still tempted by the Princess--especially since I can't find any other open spots in the garden.

What do you think of any of those?

Again, my priorities are: beauty in garden, rebloom, about 5x3 (or maybe 4x3), AND BS-resistance.

Thanks for any input you can give.

Kate

• User
    11 years ago

well, I know it is not pink....but it is a completely clean Austin - Crocus Rose. Despite being thugged under a wodge of cornflowers for a large part of summer, this rather nice rose is, by far and away, the healthiest Austin in my garden.
    Wisley 2000 was actually a rerun after the original plant was such a duffer - to my mind, Wisley 2000 still has a few of the faults of its predecessor - a bit stingy with blooms and a slow repeat.
    Wedgewood rose is considerably healthier than many Austins - it is growing across the road from me as part of a municiple planting next to a cafe. It is a big rose though - given a chance it will climb and will definately spend a few years sprawling around. A lovely bloom though.
    Have you thought about the Alnwick rose - this might be too deep in colour but it does have a lovely shape, fairly clean and much more mannerly in growth than many Austins.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Marchesa Boccella is a great rose here, it's a 5 X 5 shrub, dense and twiggy. It has reliable repeat bloom. It gets blackspot but doesn't drop all its leaves.

The Wedgewood Rose drops its leaves here... as does Wisley 2008. They are hardy here, lovely blooms.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

I love Comte de Chambord, it does have a tendency to drop its leaves here. It does repeat bloom, but not as much as the Austins do. Comte is compact here, might grow taller in your zone.

• Kippy
    11 years ago

I should have a Princess Alexandra of Kent, it has the DA plastic tag and the advertising tag (with photo) So it should be her.....only....I kind of am wondering.

From the HMF what I have is very different, far fewer petals and opens to cup shaped. When I bought it, Otto had an order that came in and took all of their stock, but they found one sitting off to the side and sold it to me.

Either these are baby or too hot summer flowers (second flush since I have had her though) or it is something different.

Mine has too bubble gum pink of blooms for me, but the bees adore the plant and so does mom, so what ever it ends up being, it will stay. It does keep right on blooming and looks very happy.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    11 years ago

Scepter'd Isle was rather BS prone in my garden and I shovel-pruned it. It would be bare by this time of year. Shame because I loved its fragrance and rebloom was fantastic, but I don't want to spray my roses.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody for your thoughts on this topic.

Are there any midwesterners out there who grow any of the roses mentioned above? I'd also like to hear from Austin-lovers closer to home. : )

Kate

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH