Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
well_rooted

The rose report I promised long time ago

well_rooted
9 years ago

In December many of you helped me choose some Historics to order from Palatine. Here is my report, but first I want to tell you that they arrived in early March (a better situation if I agreed to receive them that early). Note that I live in Zone 5. We still had lots of snow and the ground was frozen a foot deep.

I put them in a snowbank and later in water or covered them in some soil that had thawed. It all worked out very well. Some were not planted until mid April. But all have grown spectacularly well.

- Queen of Denmark was a huge bare root plant and gave me an estimated 250 blooms!
- Botzaris was a big disappointment as the blooms, while plentiful, balled badly. Will give it one more year....
- Mme Hardy was very good. First plant to bloom, if I remember correctly.
- Skyrocket has been in constant. I am impressed.
- Apothecary Rose - sigh....what great colour and scent.
- Erinnerung an Brod - no blooms but is a large plant. Looking forward to next year.
- Lavender Lassie - just keeps blooming. Very small flowers. Perhaps bigger next year?
- Tausendschon - also very small flowers, but the website says large flowers, so hoping for better next year.
- Felicite Parmentier - I don't remember much....but it did bloom
- Geschwind's Orden - is determined to take over my garden! I can't believe it was a bare root planted this year. Had just a few tiny blooms. Very interested to see what happens next year.

Thanks for your help in choosing the above.

Comments (5)