Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I would never of thought a cat would like this?!

Posted by Alana7bSC 7b-8%3F (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 12 at 14:41

I bought some alfalfa pellets for the first time the other day to try because I see all the posts sayin how great they are for the roses, and the were really cheap so decided to give it a try.Well I opened the bag and started putting it around my roses and was walking back to the bag to get more and my daughters kitten was in the bag munchin away! I never would have thought a cat would like alfalfa pellets, has anyone else experienced this? I had to keep telling all of the cats to leave it alone after the kitten started. They didn't however disturb any of my roses I put it around yesterday, just wouldn't stay out the bag! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I would never of thought a cat would like this?!

Cats do eat greens, usually grass to then throw up hairballs. I wouldn't let her eat too much.

o

Move the mulch and thrown in the pellets, then cover over....more than one way to fertilize our roses!

o

As Buford says, cats do eat greens, typically grass. You can now buy green kitty crunchy treats. I keep a patch of catmint (nepeta) for my cats. They munch that as well as just roll in it. It's a good companion plant for roses, too.

o

I only wish my cat would eat my nepeta. But no--he prefers my favorite hakonechloa aureola as his hairball generator of choice.

Kay

o

grief - i have hasd to spray various ornamental grasses (hakenochloa, millium, heliotrichon and panicum) to keep the cat and dogs from munching them to stubs (I use a nasty bitter but harmless alum spray). I even grow a few pots of oats and wheat 'catgrass' for them - but they prefer the good stuff.

o

I guess ya'll are making it seem more understandable, I did hide the alfalfa under the mulch and they haven't bothered it yet, although the last time I put out bone meal I saw where something dug a little hole, didn't see who it was in action, but they obviously didn't find what they were looking for because it was only done to a couple of the roses :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here