Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Garden Pictures

I've had these garden photos for a few days but felt reluctant to post them since I'm practically the only person to do so lately, and I'm afraid it will seem as though I'm "showing off" my garden, which I well know is far from the most spectacular one here. Still, here they are for anyone who would care to look.

{{gwi:302689}}

{{gwi:302690}}

{{gwi:302691}}

{{gwi:302692}}

{{gwi:302693}}
Potter & Moore, La France and Souvenir de la Malmaison

{{gwi:302694}}

{{gwi:302695}}
Wild Edric

{{gwi:302696}}

Ingrid

Comments (26)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Please do not feel bad, I love your photos!

I tore up a few parts of our yard with the water project, have raccoon's tearing up the rest and for kicks and giggles tore up the lower garden putting in the tea zone. Even the stacked wood pile got tossed aside in moving a fence line to make room for the rose rootstock from Kim.

Pretty sure no new photos from my yard for a while!

The rose I should be taking photos of is 'Belinda's Dream' who must have 100 blooms on her right now.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What's stopping you Kippy? My BD has never had a fraction of that number of blooms and a bush like that would be a sight to see.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Great pictures! I always enjoy seeing what's blooming in your garden, Ingrid. I went to a nursery this morning in West LA, saw a table FULL of white limonium and thought of how you mentioned it's never available. I can give you the address if it's worth a serious trek...

Jay

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Ingrid you must stop worrying about posting photos. We all love to see your photos and all photos. Thank you for sharing your garden. Don't stop. I'm so pleased to see how well it is doing in August

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Ingrid your garden touches my soul, it is so breathtakingly beautiful, please do not stop posting pics.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Bliss...

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Oh, Ingrid, I love seeing photos of your garden! It's always so beautiful!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, all my dear rose friends, for the lovely comments and the reassurance. Taking pictures of the garden is something I feel compelled to do, and then there's always the idea that I'd like to share them.

Jay, thanks for the tip, but it would take a lot for me to trek all the way up to L.A. The white ones must be available somewhere locally, but at the moment I'm happy if I can just keep alive what I have!

Ingrid

• cath41
    9 years ago

Ingrid,

What could be a better arrangement? We love to see the photos and you love to take them and share them. Life is good.

Cath

Original Author
    9 years ago

Cath, it's so sweet of you to say that.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Oh, Ingrid- you are such a show-off! And thank heavens somebody is. I LOVE looking at other people's gardens, and as you mentioned, other folks are just not stepping up to the plate. So thanks for doing your part by sharing your lovely photos and hopefully inspiring others who also have beautiful gardens.

Me, I have some baby roses in pots, and am hoping to transition from yard to yarden to- eventually- garden. But pot ghetto is as far as I've gotten so far... not too photogenic.

Thanks again,
    Virginia

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Just beautiful Ingrid ! It dosnt hurt that your view is spectacular too !
    Today a local farmer is coming with his tractor and going to plow up my garden bed . I can't tell you how excited I am to get started ! And even more relieved I don't have to do the hard digging . I will take pics and do a progress post when I get them in the ground . I currently have 54 pots ( most roses , some honeysuckle and 3 butterfly bushes ) waiting patiently . Oh it will be glorious to dig my hands into dirt again ! Just heavenly !

• Spectrograph (NC 7b)
    9 years ago

What is the taller pink rose in the left of the first picture?

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

Yes, great pictures of a beautiful garden. I really enjoy that you show the whole rose bush not just individual blooms.

SCG

• mariannese
    9 years ago

Your photos are so good and your garden is lovely.

I took very few rose pictures this summer. July was so hot and dry that my once blooming roses lasted too short, not even the poor four or five weeks they are supposed to flower in our normally cool weather. The bourbons and the remontants did better and some are still in bloom. Not Commandant Beaurepaire in the picture but long enough.

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

Ingrid, your garden is so lovely! I hope you never stop posting pictures of it! Funny thing, I was never that impressed with SdlM till I saw your picture of the whole bush blooming in your garden. It is lovely and a perfect fit there.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Virginia, you're just going to have to hurry up and soon have a beautiful garden to photograph. I know, easier said than done, but once you begin the impetus to keep on going becomes very strong. Easy for me to say, since my husband does all the heavy digging....

Lily, that is so exciting and how wonderful to finally see your roses where they belong. I look forward to seeing pictures of your work in progress.

phasedweasel, it took me a moment to figure that out myself. It's actually Aunt Margy's Rose, which you can see on the left in the second photo, which likes to work its way around the corner to the front garden. If the blooms were only bigger that would be one fantastic rose, but on the other hand I like the more "wild" look of the smaller flowers too.

SCG, I often try to show the whole plant, if it's at all worth showing, because a rose is so much more than just its flowers, or at least it should be. With smaller-growing roses it's not so important as long as the blooms are beautiful, but a large bush needs to have some presence to be an ornament to the garden.

Marianne, I'm so sorry that your beautiful roses didn't last very long. The rose in the picture is really lovely, though. If the climate continues to get warmer in your area, you might want to plant more of the remontant roses for a more continuous show. I'm very greedy and want my roses to perform most of the year, although not all of them want to cooperate!

Kes, I was really gratified by your comment. SdlM is so much more than the individual flowers, although few people ever post more than the bloom itself. Perhaps this will inspire you to try one yourself?

Thank you so much for your flattering comments. It makes it a pleasure to share the garden and surrounding scenery with you.

Ingrid

Original Author
    9 years ago

Virginia, you're just going to have to hurry up and soon have a beautiful garden to photograph. I know, easier said than done, but once you begin the impetus to keep on going becomes very strong. Easy for me to say, since my husband does all the heavy digging....

Lily, that is so exciting and how wonderful to finally see your roses where they belong. I look forward to seeing pictures of your work in progress.

phasedweasel, it took me a moment to figure that out myself. It's actually Aunt Margy's Rose, which you can see on the left in the second photo, which likes to work its way around the corner to the front garden. If the blooms were only bigger that would be one fantastic rose, but on the other hand I like the more "wild" look of the smaller flowers too.

SCG, I often try to show the whole plant, if it's at all worth showing, because a rose is so much more than just its flowers, or at least it should be. With smaller-growing roses it's not so important as long as the blooms are beautiful, but a large bush needs to have some presence to be an ornament to the garden.

Marianne, I'm so sorry that your beautiful roses didn't last very long. The rose in the picture is really lovely, though. If the climate continues to get warmer in your area, you might want to plant more of the remontant roses for a more continuous show. I'm very greedy and want my roses to perform most of the year, although not all of them want to cooperate!

Kes, I was really gratified by your comment. SdlM is so much more than the individual flowers, although few people ever post more than the bloom itself. Perhaps this will inspire you to try one yourself?

Thank you so much for your flattering comments. It makes it a pleasure to share the garden and surrounding scenery with you.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Not as pretty as last week but loaded with buds. 'Belinda's Dream'

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Belinda's Dream is always happy.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Kippy, that is one beautiful and happy rose. It doesn't have the half-burned older foliage that mine has for a large part of the year. I wonder if I need to fertilize mine in order to get that kind of flower production.

Ingrid

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Just gorgeous as always, Ingrid. It's like having a window into a Mediterranean paradise without having to cross the ocean for it. The fourth photo looks for all the world like ancient Greek or Roman ruins are up on that hill. Speaking of which, what's the peachy-colored rose to the left of that photo, also on the left of the last photo? That rose looks particularly lovely happy in your zone (unfortunately, it's probably not one that would be happy in mine, if it likes hot desert CA).

Cynthia

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Ingrid, I'm hoping that things will eventually come together into something reasonably attractive. I'm not one of those people who are good at figuring out where things will look good, so I think I'll probably go for the higglety-pigglety look.

I thought of you today when I saw a photo of a native tree for arid climates today- you may already be familiar with it, but I'd never heard of Desert Willow (Chilopsis linearis)? My climate may not be dry enough to grow it well (some of those "drought-tolerant" plants tend to rot when we get a lot of rain), but I think it's a good-looking plant.

Hoping for more photos soon,
    Virginia

Here is a link that might be useful: photos of Desert Willow

Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia, I loved your comments and am happy if I can give you a little of that Mediterranean feeling without the expense of traveling. The rose you asked about is the tea rose Rosette Delizy, which unfortunately would probably find your climate a little chilly. It's one of the best roses for me, with no disease and great resistance to the heat. It looks peachy in the pictures but when looked at more closely each rose has different shadings, with yellows and rusts and pinks, although the darker colors are more predominant when it's cooler.

Virginia, I've certainly heard of desert willow although it doesn't seem to grow around here. It's quite pretty and certainly one to consider if continued drought is in our future. Even my butterfly bushes are struggling so it may be time to consider better options. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Ingrid

• BetsyKristl
    9 years ago

Here are my Fergies - I planted them as teacup sized pups back in 2011 - just look at them now. That's a 4' fence they're peaking over!