Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boncrow66

The Alnwick rose, thoughts?

boncrow66
9 years ago

I just saw on Chamblees website that they now have queen of Sweden and the alnwick Rose. I already know I want QoS but I don't know much about the Alnwick rose. The blooms look gorgeous but I am wondering how long they last once they bloom and how big will it get in my zone? Also how would the two look together? I am so excited about both roses!

Comments (33)

• Adrianne
    9 years ago

I have both roses.
    For me, the Alnwick is not as apricot as I had expected, more of a soft pink- very similar in color tone to QoS.
    Alnwick is shorter- about 18"tall /wide. Queen is more upright and 3-4' tall, 18-24" wide.
    They are both great on re bloom throughout the season, with Alnwick being a little faster.
    Length of bloom time per--3-5 days each (? ) Can't say I have noticed exactly, so must be decent.
    The Queen blooms last longer and has stronger stems, firmer petals for cutting. Alnwick is more fragrant, but both are nice.
    If you like soft pinks, apricots, they would look just lovely together.
    They are 2 of my favorites and are quite healthy and happy in my humid southeast heat.
    Best, Adrianne

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Adrianne, they both sound like good roses although in the pictures I have seen of Alnwick it looks like a darker pink, I think the bloom in Alnwick is beautiful from what I've seen. Sounds like we have similar hot humid climates so also good to hear they both do well in that environment.

This post was edited by boncrow66 on Tue, Aug 5, 14 at 22:55

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Love love love Alnwick!! This is only my second yr with it but it's became one of my favorites. Mine though is almost 4 ft tall and about 21/2 -3 ft wide. Mine is a darker pink but fades lighter after a couple days. My QOS is lighter pink but gorgeous too. My QOS bush grows skinnier but I've seen others bushier. You will love love love Alnwick!!

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Boncrow, Alnwick does very well for us at Humpty Dumpty House in hot, dry, inland southern California. It was a rose I was warned would not do well here, but I observed it in a client's garden performing "well enough", even during our roasting summer, and it was so beautiful, I just had to try it. Luckily, it turned out to be one of our best roses, and it's my personal favorite. The color is a gorgeous, highly saturated powder pink that reminds me of thickly caked pink chalk, and it doesn't fade for us here in the hot sun. This rose does not continuously bloom here. Instead it alternates with flushes of blooms, and then no blooms -- I'd say about a week blooming and a week without blooms has been the pattern so far. The fragrance is strong, luscious raspberries. I LOVE this rose, and I think the rose knows it, because she is soooo pretty here. In fact, I'd say she's the epitome of the word "pretty".

A client also has Alnwick, and his is more elegant and beautiful than ours (this rose goes through transitions, and his stays as a deep cup longest, whereas ours transitions quickly to the shallow, frilly ballerina skirt phase), but his only performs okay, whereas ours performs very well. He also has the beautiful Queen of Sweden, which is a much paler, less saturated pink. Both roses hold their flowers high, like waterlilies.

Best of luck with your choice. If they perform well in your humidity, I don't think you'll go wrong with either one. Below is a picture of ours in the hot sun, complete with a little green meanie.

jannike

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Prettypetals and Jannike this rose sounds wonderful! Thanks for letting me know how well it is doing and how much you love love love it :). Jannike your pictures are beautiful and would enable anyone to this rose. QoS and Alnwick will for sure be in my garden next spring! I can't wait!! Prettypetals 3 loves for a rose is a winner in my book any day. :). Thanks!

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

My mom picked one up from RU this year. She loves the Austins and Alnwick and Queen of Sweden are the pinks that she likes the most. I enjoy the fragrance and shade of pink. I would go for Tamora, Ambridge Rose, or The Shepherdess if apricot tones are your desire. It's too early to speak on the long term health of the plant, but I have yet to notice any fungal problems in the months she's had it. I believe I posted this picture in my last photo thread, but it's probably the best I have of The Alnwick Rose.

{{gwi:303111}}

Jay

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Boncrow you will def be glad you got her. I was looking back at pics and found some of Alnwick in her lighter stages. She's def a deeper pink during the summer and lighter in the spring around here. Here's a bouquet from spring with Alnwick more towards the back and Sweet Juliet I think in front.

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    9 years ago

Prettypetals and Arbutus, gorgeous roses!

jannike

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Arbutus and Prettypetals thanks for the pics of your Almwicks, just gorgeous! Prettypetals I can see why you love love love this rose :). I may need more than one so I can have stunning bouquets like yours.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

I'm not quite as enthusiastic about the Alnwick as the other posters, though I have no complaints about this rose. I have two bushes about 6 years old and they're pretty infrequent bloomers. One is in part shade, but the other is in at least adequate sun, and neither blooms that often for me. To build an exquisite bouquet like prettypetals would take both bushes totally stripped and would only be possible once or twice a year at best. QOS or Spirit of Freedom or Scepter'd Isle are all more reliable bloomers among pink Austins for me.

Cynthia

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

You're so right Cynthia, my first bouquet was stripped of all the blooms but not the buds and it was in my first flush that usually has lots more blooms to be able to make such a huge bouquet. I wanted to just show off how pretty Alnwick is. I cut about a dozen blooms from two bushes today. I cut practically everyday (some rose or hydrangea or dahlia) bc I'm at the end of a crazy beetle year and fixing to have a week of much needed rain so bringing in anything that's blooming on my roses and other babies. Not sure I have Spirit of Freedom so going to check that baby out!! Wooo hooo love checking out other roses!!

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

It's one of my favorite Austins, with superb fragrance and good blooming. Mine repeat well. (I have three of them)

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Woo hoo! I can't wait to get a Alnwick! That bouquet is purty purty Prettypetals.

• shopshops
    9 years ago

Boncrow. The Alnwick rose does very well for me in Texas. I am 1 hour south of Dallas. She is fragrant and repeats about once a month. I would describe her as almost dirty pink with a tiny hint of salmon. I have two that are just beautiful. I bought them bareroot from David Austin about 4 years ago.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks shopshops, I am glad to hear it's doing well for you in our Texas heat. I am trying to decide where I want to place her so it's good to know how she blooms for you.

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Dear rose enablers:

I placed an order today with Chamblees for The Alnwick Rose.

Dirty pink sounds lovely on a cloudy day.

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good for you mauvegirl! I am going to make a trip in the spring to Chamblees so I will call before I go and reserve mine:).

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

You will be glad you did mauvegirl8!! Can't wait to see y'all pics of her!!!

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    8 years ago

Just purchased this rose. Wondering if it will do OK in full sun or should I plant where it is in some afternoon shade?

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Alameda I did not buy Alnwick last spring like I had intended, it was on my list when I arrived at Chamblees but I didn't leave with it lol. I instead got Cottage rose, Charlotte, the Prince, Tamora and Molineaux. I have regretted not getting the Alnwick, especially after reading this thread again and plan to add it next spring to my garden. I hope it does well for you, I will be anxious to hear how it does for you since we are both in East Tx. I see that it's no longer listed on Chamblees website, did you happen to luck out and get it in the bargain area?

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

Alameda I have some new ones I purchased thru D Austin this spring in full sun and it does great. Never wilts in the hot hot temps.

good gravy boncrow you better get this rose. :)) It's beyond beautiful!!

8 years ago

Boncrow, got mine in the regular section, they had some really pretty ones. Why not order one or better yet.....make a trip up there now the weather is cooling off and pick up a few? In the sale yard, I got Charlotte, Portmeiron, Cottage Rose and The Prince - all the roses looked great. I bought a bunch, shame on me, but I always like to go before the big Rose Festival which brings a lot of people into town and they get sold out of lots of stuff.

I have an area that gets full sun until about 2pm.....may put it there. If I remember correctly, it doesn't get huge, am I right?

Judith

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Judith it sounds like you got some good roses. I would love to make a trip soon to Chamblees but will have to see if I can fit it in my schedule. I think you will like Charlotte, cottage rose and the Prince.

8 years ago

The roses at Chamblees are looking so good - lush, green, starting their fall bloom. Again, do be aware that during the Rose Festival, they get hundreds of visitors and their rose numbers diminish considerably during that. I am going to make one more fall trip up there before the festival Oct. 15-18. The sale yard is full of goodies! Looking forward to getting these roses planted during this wonderful cool spell we are having! Now...if it would just rain!

Judith

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks for the festival date, that is a big help in planning a trip. The sale yard is the reason I didn't leave with the Alnwick my last visit lol. I'm glad to hear that there are some Charlottes left, I planted 3 together and this weekend I noticed one isn't looking very good so I might have to replace it. I am thinking I want to plant 3 Alnwick together too so that I can have gorgeous bouquets like Prettypetals :).

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Judith have you or do you grow Mm Isaac Pierre? I am infatuated with her and plan on getting her next spring but would like to know your experience with MIP if you have or are growing her. This rose gets mixed reviews and I would like to hear from someone in the East Tx area on how she performs. Thanks!

8 years ago

I grew this rose quite a few years ago. I found it to be extremely bad to blackspot. I loved the bloom....and thought I could plant it in a spot where I would be most likely to spray it and thereby enjoying beautiful blooms and a healthy bush, but other things took priority and I wasn't able to spray on a regular schedule. I replaced it, don't have plans to plant it again anytime soon, but I think if someone really loved it, didn't have a bunch of other roses, 40 horses, a bunch of chickens, 30 acres, a big house, ad nauseum, to keep up with.........it could be a beautiful rose. I seem to recall pegging it - it grew long canes and it bloomed better that way. I say if you love it - plant where you can peg it, plan to spray regularly and am sure you will have a lovely rose. I tried that with Angel Face too........it needs to be sprayed all the time. Finally got tired of that, and now have Plum Perfect which is nearly the same color - not quite the ethereal beauty Angel Face is, but has healthy foliage! As you know..........east Texas and blackspot can be synonymous....

Why not try it once? The Antique Rose Emporium grows it and doesn't worry about the blackspot........It really is a lovely rose........By the way, if you don't have Plum Perfect, add that to your list when you go to Chamblees.

Judith

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow you are busy with your horses and chickens! 30 acres is a lot to maintain. I bet it's beautiful with all your roses growing everywhere. I will be planting MIP next spring, hopefully it will be a good rose for me but I'll never know unless I plant her :). Blackspot doesn't bother me so much because it's just part of growing roses where we live in Texas although it seems this year my roses have had less Blackspot than normal and some of my roses like duchesse de Brabant and MBRC didn't have any. Thanks for the encouragement and for the suggestion of Plum Perfect.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    8 years ago

Hey Judith, Mine gets a good 4 1/2 feet tall. Maybe 2 ft wide but thinking my new ones might get wider bc they are in a better spot but not really sure how wide or tall its supposed to get. If you don't have Carding Mill its a great rose too. Bloom machine for sure. I purchased a Plum Perfect from Heirloom and its the prettiest shade of purple. Its still a very new plant but its starting to put on new growth. I think i'm going to love it. I love just about anything Kordes. Can't wait for Earth Angel and Madame Annisette to come available at Chamblees..

• boncrow66
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ohhh Carding Mill is in my wish list too.

8 years ago

Carding Mill is a beautiful rose - I love apricots. I have several! Regan Nursery has several new apricots on their list - I plan to try them. Apricot Candy from Roses Unlimited has done well for me. Just ordered 4 from Palatine today - Sunset Dreams, a new Jalbert, Lucille Ball, Queen Charlotte and Fragrant Cloud - which I cant seem to find anywhere.

• abelrose
    2 years ago

Sadly, I owned four Alnwick for four seasons in Northern Alabama and they did not grow well even with regular watering, fertilizing and insecticiding. I am replacing them this year with Eustacia Vye.