Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fogrose

Gloire de Dijon from High Country Roses-for Josh

fogrose
9 years ago

Hi Josh and everyone,

I bought an own root GdeD from High Country Roses in summer 2013 during their sale. I've read about the decline of GdeD over the years but wanted to take a chance since I knew I'd have a long wait for Burlington to produce a budded version and that Josh was first on the list as he bought another plant to send to Burling to use for budding.

I am happy to report that my own root plant is still growing happily in a 3 gallon pot in part shade and is now in it's third flush of bloom since spring which is amazing given my conditions. The canes are about three feet high and the flowers are very beautiful.

Fingers crossed for continued success.

Diane

Comments (20)

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Even if the heads-up was meant for Josh, this question of own-root 'Gloire de Dijon' has been on my mind, so I'm glad to hear about your success. Am hoping to obtain a GdD at some point, and am not interested wasting time/money/effort on a weak clone.

Thanks,
    Virginia

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Virginia,

I wanted everyone to know about it as we had a thread about GdeD last year and people asked that I post an update.

I'd certainly give the High Country clone a try but patience is required. Worth it IMHO because the flowers are a heartbreakers. I may even get another one.

Diane

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Diane, I read that thread with great interest, and was eventually going to ask about the current situation in terms of own-root worthiness. I've especially been wondering about Roses Unlimited's clone of GdD, since they are fairly local to me.

I'm not planning to buy a GdD just yet, but I know that's a rose I will try at some point. Some roses just call to us, and that one definitely has my number.

Thanks for the update,
    Virginia

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi again Virginia,

You wrote "Some roses just call to us, and that one definitely has my number."

You are so right. But I had no idea how much GdeD was calling to me until it started blooming here and I could touch it and get a whiff of it's perfume.

It was always one of those mythical roses I dreamed about. Here's what Paul Barden (Trospero) says about it.

"Gloire de Dijon is my favourite rose of all. When asked if I could have but one rose, I tell people that this would be the one! It was the favourite of Rev. Dean Hole, the first president of the National Rose Society."

And Graham Stuart Thomas chimes in with...
    "Gloire de Dijon Jacotot (France) 1853... the result of crossing a vigorous Tea Rose with 'Souvenir de la Malmaison'... Description... It is the most popular and satisfactory of all old climbing roses... deep buff-yellow flowers suffused in warm weather with pink and apricot... Dean Hole, in A Book about Roses (1870), ranked it as his favourite and most successful climbing rose..."

Diane

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

That's great news! I had been hoping Josh would have an update on his grafted plant, but an own root plant is much easier to come by. GdD really is one of the roses that calls to lovers of OGRs. I would love to grow it, but almost every post I had seen mentioning GdD was less than positive. You've provided a flicker of hope even if most Tea-Noisettes besides Lamarque and Reve d'Or seem to have poor reputations in Coastal So Cal.

Jay

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Jay, Mary Washington was clean as a whistle in Pacific Palisades, two blocks from the Pacific. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Mary Washington

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Kim, it's my understanding that the cluster blooming Noisettes do well here on the whole, but the larger flowered Tea-Noisettes don't. Unfortunately, I'm much more drawn to the likes of Elie Beauvillain, GdD, and Jaune Desprez than the Mary Washington types, but I recently purchased a Narrow Water for my mom who is about a mile and a quarter from the beach. I think it has a good chance of being a great rose for her.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 13:28

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Elie Beauvillain is happy here on my northern coast. Very vigorous. I'd give her a try.

Narrow Water is great here. Blooms in the shade and climbs at least 20 feet to get to the sun. No disease.

Diane

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Jay, I'm with you. I far prefer the larger flowered Tea-Noisettes to the smaller cluster flowered ones. Fortunately I live in a climate where both can do well unless they are subject to powdery mildew. That seems to inflict some varieties of each style.

Rosefolly

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I do love the Tea Noisettes -- Sadly, they're not happy in my conditions.

The cluster-flowering Noisettes are happy as CLAMS here, and over time, I've learned to love most the roses that want to grow for me.

This is "Roseville Noisette," which is something of a dwarf. It flourishes in two huge pots in front of our house, where I can smell it without even stretching or bending. :-)

• User
    9 years ago

Jeri,

Here's a picture that you posted of one of your baby Roseville's going into it's huge pot. What does it look like today? How big has it gotten?

Just curious.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Roseville is one I'll definitely consider next year from Burling, but I went ahead and got a Gloire de Dijon from High Country during their current sale. I can't say I wasn't inspired by your success, Diane. I really, REALLY want this one to succeed here. A heart-stopper to be sure. I have an empty 2 gallon and 15 gallon container to cycle it through before planting if I notice it does very well in a container while it's developing.

I have high hopes even if many Tea-Noisettes don't like it here. I hope yours continues to prosper!

Jay

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Belle, I'll post a pix tomorrow of my Rosevilles. Both are happy and healthy, and blooming their hearts out. One is more than 3 ft. Tall. The other shorter. But both look great.

Jeri

• fogrose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jay, I went ahead and just bought a 2nd GdeD from High Country yesterday during their sale. I am so smitten with this rose and how well it's doing here and hope it does the same for you. It's been said by others and now I understand why people have said if they could only have one rose it would be GdeD.

Diane

• User
    9 years ago

Hi Jeri,

I saw the ones you posted to HelpMeFind. They've come a long way, and they do look great.

• Llanwenlys
    9 years ago

I bought a GDD own root from High country roses in 2011, despite advice that it just would not "do" in the PNW. I placed it in a corner of my courtyard, south-west-facing, and it has thrived and bloomed. The position is also good for rust and mildew as the circulation is not the best (nearby banana trees and it is protected from wind being in a corner), so I am a bit worried each year as I do not spray. I call this position my zone 9 position (we are in zone 8-).
    Anyway, I'm thrilled.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

The more petals and the larger the petals, the more water the plant appreciates. The larger the plant, such as a climber, the more water it appreciates. I can see where, given sufficient sun and heat, with your higher water availability, you might be able to push GdD. It CAN be spectacular...IF you can provide it with what it demands. If you can't, it just ain't worth the space and effort. Kim

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

When hundreds of different roses can be someone's favorite, it's hard to sift through all the information to narrow down a top ten, or twenty - ok, thirty for my wish list. Even without seeing it in person I tend to agree with you that this one has to be out front of the pack.
    I had to go see HMF member's pictures and comments of Gloire de Dijon; what wonderful qualities and colors !
    Maybe its foolish for me to even consider, living in North Idaho where the weather can be so extreme like Zone 2 through 6 in the same week. Just when I vowed to only look at zone 3 and 4 roses after this past week of crazy polar bear cold, it's hard to resist this rose that has been on and off my wish list a dozen times over the last few years. It is always sold out by the time I'm ready to take a chance. So many of life's opportunities are that way.
    Souvenir de la Malmaison was hands down the queen of roses in the yard this past summer. Jaune Desprez was new and put forth one little bloom, but sometimes just one is enough to be content with.
    If these are the parents, and both do well through this winter ,
    I will certainly have Old Glory at the top of my buying list for 2015.
    Thanks for reminding me.
    Linda

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Linda,

I've only seen about three blooms from my young plant, but they were all what I hoped for and more! Just unbelievably beautiful tones cascading from light pink to a gorgeous apricot. The scent was classic tea rose for me. Some have problems with that fragrance, but I catch it most of the time. I expect the blooms will get larger with time as they were on the small side, but it will always have a place in my garden even if they never increase in size.

If Gloire de Dijon can make you weak in the knees then I'd take a chance on it just to see it in person a few times. I can already tell Baron Girod de l'Ain will never be happy here, but I want to see a few blooms out of it before I shovel prune it.

Jay

• damask55linen
    9 years ago

Yikes, I get a strange feeling when about to land something great.
    It's easy to be pulled in every rose direction, especially in Spring when the photos start to roll in.
    My 80 year old Japanese neighbor, the ultimate gardening mentor was disgusted with my pitiful dirt patch of two bristly shrubs three years ago when I moved in next to her artistically sculpted garden. She suggested "Get some color " so I bought a few pansies that struggled. Winter came and went .
    Spring she stood back and shook her head as I planted seeds, " You think their gonna grow?" To both our amazement the Nasturtium seeds I planted liked the poor dirt and North exposure. I bought a grocery store mini red rose that did terrible, a blackspot factory.
    Then the past summer my small garden and the two older ladies' front yards next to me that I planted, exploded with color as I spent way too much money and effort trying to do something productive for the community. Voraciously reading Antique Rose Forum daily, I went rose overboard in a good way- my neighbor smiled "Now that's how a rose is supposed to smell."
    This coming growing season I want to do what was always put on hold and squeezed out while I took care of other things. If I can have only a few roses to elevate my apartment backyard to an ethereal plane to escape to, I believe Gloire de Dijon is the rose for the task.
    I like to go out in the back yard alone to look out over the mountains, but it's probably going to become a drawing place where the parents with their kids, old ladies in their baking aprons, the young maintenance guys will take in Gloire de dijon for what roses do best.
    Thanks for convincing me I was right about this rose but didn't know it.
    Linda

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County