Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

My Drought Short Rose List

When it's too hot to go outside (which is at the very least for the next ten days but more probably into October) I like to occupy myself with making lists, my favorite thing of course being lists of roses. It occurred to me that if the water situation became much worse I'd be forced to eliminate more than 40 roses. That would leave me with about 20 or so, which is the lowest number I could imagine that would enable me to think of this as still primarily a rose garden, and that's only if they were large enough and scattered around enough so that each area would still contain roses. With one exception I already have these roses, except for Reve d'Or which I had and loved, but which was unfortunately in the wrong location.

I wondered whether those of you in similar predicaments, or even those in areas with increasingly harsh and long winters, had any thoughts about which roses you absolutely still had to have, and which stood a good chance of surviving, if temperatures become more extreme, as is predicted.

My list:

Souvenir de la Malmaison (two)
Mrs. B.R. Cant (two)
La France (two)
Le Vesuve (two)
Bishop's Castle (two)
Mutabilis
Annie Laurie Mc Dowell
Rosette Delizy
Mlle. de Sombreuil
Reve d'Or
Aunt Margy's Rose
Young Lycidas
Potter and Moore
Belinda's Dream
I'm not decided on the last rose since several young roses look promising. If No. 92 Nanjing survives and thrives it should be that one, although I could say the same about Emily, Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux, Dr. O'Donel Brown, Duchess of Albany, Wild Edric, Reine des Violettes, Hoag House Cream, Cl. Lady Hillingdon, White Pet , Duchesse de Brabant or Heirloom. I might have to have 25!

Ingrid

Comments (8)

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Ingrid, in our cold region if there is no snow cover, the roses will be automatically eliminated, whether we want it or not :-)

I'm done with mollycoddling roses. They either make it or not.

In 8 years of growing roses, I've been often surprised by their resilience. I've lost more perennials than roses.

I thought this year, I'll lose some of my most tender rose, Sweet Chariot, and all three of them survived and bloomed their head off in June.

But in wake of extreme temperature swings, if I were to redo the garden, I would focus on European OGRs, Spinosissimas, Canadian Explorers and species...

- Bob

• roseseek
    9 years ago

We're thinking along very similar lines, Ingrid. I'm honestly primarily keeping my own seedlings at the expense of many of the "commercial introductions". Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I think in part to favor roses that have survived decades without irrigation, to be rediscovered. Thus, Mme Lombard is high on the list, among others.

Grandmothers Hat, The Portland From Glendora, and a whole raft of Noisettes and Chinas -- all right in there.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I think in part to favor roses that have survived decades without irrigation, to be rediscovered. Thus, Mme Lombard is high on the list, among others.

Grandmothers Hat, The Portland From Glendora, and a whole raft of Noisettes and Chinas -- all right in there.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

• jerijen
    9 years ago

• jerijen
    9 years ago

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    9 years ago

Jeri, your computer went crazy. All 5 of your posts are the same. (More than likely you know)

We are not as threatened by a drought as we are with seasonal surprise activities. We have extreme heat, drought in the cold months, strong winds, and worst of all we have sudden temperature changes. We may have a freeze in April or May or we may have 90 degree temps in January following by a freeze.

My answer has been to reduce by rose count from a high of 276 to a present of 104. I have removed arbors and anything that would hold up climbers, and have scattered smaller beds.

Since none of my beds have natural Oklahoma soil, they can receive water more quickly than something that would be in the clay.

I am trying to use heavier mulch each year, and learn about how much water a rose needs.

I know that I can let the hose pour for 60 seconds, 20 seconds, whatever, but I do not know what is an adequate number to use. I wonder if there are water meters that could give a continuous moisture reading, and let us know what the rose needs.

Sammy

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH