Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I get myjames galway to bloom again?

Posted by Joopster 5 (Chicago) (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 16:14

I planted a James Galway bareroot at the end of April. Since then it has only bloomed once. I really miss it. How can I get this baby to bloom at least one more time before the summer ends.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I get myjames galway to bloom again?

If you just planted it in April, it is not established yet, and is probably focusing on growing roots (which will help it survive the WInter). I would leave it alone, and let it get on with it. More flowers and blooms next year if it does not die.

Jackie

o

I planted a grafted (multiflora) specimen of this rose 4 years ago. It is quite large now, around 10 feet high and 6-7 feet across. One year I did not trim off the faded flowers after the first spring flush and it formed enormous hips and refused to resume growth. Now when I deadhead, I trip back the faded flower 4 or 5 nodes, fertilize, then water deeply. New growth and new flowers appear in a month or so.

o

10ft high? Oh boy! I have her in a 33 inches pot now. I may have to somehow find room for her in the ground.

o

Yes, often vigorous shrub roses need to make a certain amount of growth before they repeat well. Until then they bloom in the spring flush and then concentrate on vegetative growth during the summer and fall.

o

I have had mine quite a few years. It is a very large shrub - I prune heavily in February and will cut it back some in late August. It blooms lots in spring then after the first flush, has more blooms, rests in summer and blooms again in fall. Its a lovely, healthy rose and is in full all day hot Texas sun and does fine. You will like it - just give it time to get established.
Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here