Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuderte

Making a rose obelisk using copper pipe

tuderte
9 years ago

Can anyone advise me whether it's 'harmful' to roses to grow them on an obelisk made from copper tubing?

I found a beautiful, simple 'tripod' design with a spiral extending from the base to the apex. The three legs are made from 18mm (þ inch) copper pipe and the spiral is made from 1mm copper tubing.

I mentioned my plans to a friend who assured me that copper is toxic to roses because it oxidises when exposed to the elements and this has a toxic effect on the roses.

Is this true? I've seen copper structures for roses advertised online so I imagine that they wouldn't sell many if they're harmful to roses ⦠but I really have no idea.

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some advice.

Tricia

Comments (10)

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I have three obeliks made 100% of copper tubing in my garden (built by my DH) which roses have been growing happily on for over 20 years. Go for it!

Jackie

• jerijen
    9 years ago

But, whatever you do, don't put your copper structure in the FRONT yard of your home.

Copper is being stolen right and left.

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Tricia,

I would love to see those plans. Can you point me in the right direction?

TIA,

Veronica

• thonotorose
    9 years ago

Thank you! That is just terrific.... Copper is fairly easy to solder I believe.

It will be fun looking for finials at junque shops.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

How Fun!

I happen to have a big roll of the 1/2 copper I was going to take to recycling. Maybe I should save it for the 1" pipe I already have and make something like that. (helps to know a bunch of plumbers to learn to weld it too)

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It can also do double-duty as an outdoor 'Christmas Tree' if you feel so inclined â¦

Tricia

• professorroush
    9 years ago

I have a copper pipe trellis I built that has both a Jeanne Lavoie and a Zephirine Drouhin on it. Both seem fine.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

My advice, based on my four pillars (none of which are copper tubing, however);

Leave 18 inches to shove into the ground. That should hold up the pillar even in the wind. At least it has in my Kansas garden for about 8 years now.

Make it tall enough so that it extends 8 ft.-10 ft. from the soil-line to the uppermost tip. Most climbers, at least the popular ones, grow about 8 to 12 ft tall. Some are taller. There are also shorter ones, but they are more often grown as shrubs, not climbers on pillars.

Make sure the rose you pick has flexible canes--so you an spiral the rose around the pillar.

Be aware that many (most?) climbers take 3-5 years to grow full-size.

Make sure the rose you select is cane-hardy where you live. What zone do you live in? If it isn't cane-hardy, you will probably have to keep pruning it down to a couple feet high every spring, and it will never ever really get big enough to work as a pillar rose.

Decide ahead of time whether you want to be spraying a 12 ft rose for blackspot. If not, make sure you get one that is disease-resistant.

Good luck--love that design. Take pics for us.

Kate

• tuderte
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Kate for all your great advice!

I haven't completely decided on which rose to grow on my obelisk yet - I have a Sombreuil which needs to go into the ground, however, as I've had in the back of my mind for some time that I would like to have the DA Crown Princess
    Margareta - just not too sure how large it will tend to grow in my Zone 9 climate.

I have St. Swithun growing against a South facing stone wall and, at just over 2 years of age, it is a huge rose (almost 4 metres tall) for me.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville