Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferinfl

Should I leave my new roses in pots or plant them?

jenniferinfl
11 years ago

I couldn't resist new roses, I know there won't be a FSC sale for awhile, so I can forget about getting much of anything on fortuniana anytime soon. So, I ordered some antique own root roses in 1 gallon pots. Their roots aren't filling the pots or anything, I would guess it'll be at least a month before any of them will need to be transplanted up to a larger pot.

I was thinking that maybe I would keep them potted until they're starting to outgrow a 3 gallon container to make sure they have plenty of roots before I plant them in our nematode susceptible soil. My plan is to put them in a raised bed of about 8" height heavily amended at that point to insure they get a great start before they have to start dealing with nematodes.

Does that sound like a good plan? Any other suggestions?

The roses are: Crepuscule, Gruss an Teplitz, Le Vesuve, Caldwell pink (pink pet), Princess de Sagan, Duchesse de Brabant, The Fairy, and Bermuda Anne Olivier.

Comments (11)

• barbarag_happy
    11 years ago

Wow, that's a great group of roses! I took advantage of sales so I too am growing a group of roses on in pots.
    I agree it's important to be sure they're well-rooted so I'm in no rush to put them in the ground. So I agree with your strategy, totally.
    I have a Kordes shrub (Cubana) that'll be the first to go into the ground. I've never seen anything grow that fast, wow.

• jenniferinfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Barbarag, I hope some of mine are as fast growing as your Kordes shrub. I have high hopes for Caldwell Pink as that's already the biggest and has 6 blooms on it, crazy for the size of root system it must have because there sure aren't any roots anywhere around the bottom of the pot.

I really have no desire to put them in the ground yet as there's still lawn in where they're going to go, still have to get either railroad ties or pressure treated to build a bed, then there's hauling that wheelbarrow around 20+ times to fill it.. :) I've already filled any spaces that had been planting beds, so, now anything I work on means plenty of digging. Maybe my plan will be to do that miserable work in the fall and stick em in the ground in early spring. If they need to go in sooner, than I'll talk myself into it, but, hopefully not. :)

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I'm waiting until it cools off to plant my most recent order. Pink pet is not susceptible to nematodes, so you don't have to worry about it. The Chinas are nematode resistant as a rule.

• jenniferinfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I wish I knew what the other ones were, I was trying for mostly China's, but some of them are classified a few different ways. On "Help Me Find" Le Vesuve is classified as "China / Bengale, Hybrid Bourbon, Tea." Similar problem on a few of them.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

I also have Louis Phillipe, White Pearl in Red Dragon's Mouth, Ducher, Martha Gonzales, and Papa Hemeray, that I can think of.

• jenniferinfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

floridarosez9, do you have those ones in the ground right now? I'm so skittish of putting the own root roses in the ground anyways because I know we have nematodes. But, I keep reminding myself that back at my parents house I have a 16 year old Queen Elizabeth that has made it on Dr Huey. I went back to check because I thought it had gone 'own root' but, it's still on Dr Huey. Healthy as can be, hardly any blackspot and on a rootstock that isn't supposed to last more than 6 years.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Yes, they are all in the ground and very healthy. You find L. Phillipe all over Fl and he gets very large. Pink Pet I have had over 11 years. Mine is the small one, doesn't get over two feet. There's a version that gets quite large. According to Dr. Manners, nematodes don't like heavy mulch so I keep a thick mulch down. I just remembered I also have Old Blush and Napoleon in the ground also.

• jenniferinfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That is something I need to do better.. I haven't gardened in years, so when I bought my newest roses I bought a few bags of cypress mulch and spread it on not nearly thick enough. It turns out a lot of people aren't even using cypress mulch anymore, didn't even really think of it before.

So, I suppose I'd better get some pine straw raked up and pile it on thick as my 1" of mulch definitely isn't enough to keep the nematodes back. I'm glad I just started with three planted in the ground because I've already made plenty of mistakes. The three planted in the ground are the only ones I could find on fortuniana at a local nursery, so, they probably haven't been too damaged yet as they've only been in the ground a couple months, but, I definitely need to find a better source for mulch and plenty of it before attempting with these ones.

Thank you so much!

• malcolm_manners
    11 years ago

Jennifer, We've grown roses in the greenhouse, in pots, for several years, and they are fine. Just don't let them get too pot-bound. Crepuscule will get big in a hurry. Some comments on your list:

Crepuscule -- super easy and carefree in Florida. Lasts many, many years own-root. It gets bigger faster on 'Fortuniana', but grafting is certainly not needed.
    Gruss an Teplitz -- I'd baby this one along. I don't know that it will be resistant to nematodes, own-root. Also rather black-spotty for us.
    Le Vesuve -- I think of this as a true Tea, but perhaps not. Always grown own-root in Bermuda; I don't have any long-term experience with it in Florida, but it may be fine.
    Caldwell pink (pink pet) -- as mentioned above, absolutely fine on its own roots. Lasts for many years that way.
    Princess de Sagan -- don't know about this one.
    Duchesse de Brabant -- I'd mulch this one deeply, but I do know that it has been grown own-root even in southern Florida, for a very long time.
    The Fairy -- never tried it own-root.
    Bermuda Anne Olivier -- a typical Tea rose. So should grow well, but may not last decades on its own roots.

I would agree with posters above, that you should use a very deep mulch on everything. We use pine straw, at least 6" deep, preferably 8".

Malcolm

• jenniferinfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good to hear that I have a few that should be pretty solid bets. I didn't realize they should be mulched that deeply, do you just keep the mulch back a few inches from the canes or cover them too? I guess that tells me how long I should keep them in pots too, long enough to be able to mulch at least 6" without the plant mostly disappearing. :)

I think the unknown nematode resistance ones I'll put into a raised bed filled with compost to give them more of a fighting chance, or plant them along the driveway by concrete.

• malcolm_manners
    11 years ago

We pile the mulch directly against the trunk. Realize that nearly all of our roses are grafted, even the ones that don't "need" it, since we get so much more vigor and floriferousness out of them. I like to graft at 10-12" height, so the union will be above the mulch.