Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
true_blue_gw

Are Stanwell perpetual and Marie Pavié shade tolerant?

true_blue
9 years ago

I have been growing Hybrid Musks and an Alba in partial shade, with success.

I would like to try roses from other classes. I'm intrigued by both roses, as they seem to be quite floriferous, fragrant and hardy.

I've read that both roses can "tolerate" partial shade.

I was wondering if anyone in the colder zones is growing Stanwell perpetual / Marie Pavié in partial shade, dappled light with success?

Bob

Comments (12)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

Stanwell Perpetual was never a satisfactory plant here, and seems to have died off. Part of that was possibly shade related.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

MG, How much shade we're talking about?

Was yours grafted or own root?

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    9 years ago

How much shade is hard to say. Most of it was probably from a lilac on the east side.

It was grafted on canina in an attempt to get it to grow.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    9 years ago

Hi True Blue

My Marie Pavie is about 6 years old and it's in partial shade, on the west side of my house between houses, with some shade from a big oak tree. It doesn't bloom all that often and has stayed fairly small (maybe 3'X3') but it's reliably hardy and a nice little rose. I'd have to say my hybrid musks are better bloomers in part shade, but Marie Pavie should do well for you.

Cynthia

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks MG.

Cynthia, I'm a bit confused by your conclusion. From what you've written I would've concluded that it's best that I would stick to Alba's and HMs :-)

Bob

9 years ago

Hi Bob

It sort of depends on what your goal is. If you plant Marie Pavie in a more sunny spot, it's one of those constant blooming plants. Very few roses will bloom constantly in a part shade planting however, and Marie isn't going to be as showy in a part shade spot. As long as you can deal with that and not be surprised that it's a fine rose for part shade. I was noting that mine in part shade isn't a frequent bloomer to temper the expectation that you might get from looking this rose up on HMF. If you want a small rose that tolerates part shade, Marie Pavie is pretty good. HMs are more frequent bloomers in part shade, but also less hardy (might be a problem for some in z4) and lots bigger.

If you have the room for it, Bonica has been a totally constant bloomer for me in a partly to mostly-shaded position. It's the same light pink as Marie Pavie with a little more substance, and is a good 5'X4' for me in shade.

Cynthia

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Cynthia for the explanation. It makes sense.

To be honest, I have never seen "constantly" blooming rose in my more or less part shade garden. (2-6 hours sun depending where)

Unless "constantly" in your book means more 3 flushes per our short growing season or 2 long flushes with a break in mid August. The only roses at this point, can boast doing are Ballerina (4 hrs), and Felicia (2 hrs).

• labrea_gw
    9 years ago

I bought Stanwell Perpetual because I fell in love with one that used to be at Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. It was potted and near the front of the herb garden now gone. It was surrounded by high trees and received dappled light most of the day and some late sun! The one in our garden gets about 2 to 3 hours of sun mid afternoon other than that it's pretty shady under crab apples! It took 4 years to establish

• monarda_gw
    9 years ago

I love Stanwell, but I think the ones I planted out on Long Island were eaten from beneath by voles. They dwindled away.

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Labrea.

So, does it flower regularly, is it healthy?

9 years ago

Hi Bob

I agree that a constantly blooming rose in part shade is a long shot, and I wouldn't think three spaced out flushes would count as constant. Some of my hybrid musks have at least a bloom or two at any given time, so you could call them constant bloomers, but it's not really a good match for that label. I've heard that Ballerina is a constant bloomer in shade, but I don't have direct experience of that one.

For me, under the pine trees and pin oaks in my shade bed, there are a few roses that do merit the constant bloomer label. Bonica is pictured below, and it looks like this most of the year, though this shot was from June. It never gets below a dozen blooms and that only briefly, and you can judge the level of shade by the happy hosta and lamium at its feet. Other constant bloomers in my shade have been Darlow's Enigma, Heavenly Pink, and Smiling Jean. Sometimes if I cut off the clusters of Heavenly Pink that are half dead before the new clusters start it can have brief periods without bloom, but I think the label applies.

Back to your original question, Marie Pavie isn't deserving of that label for me, but Stanwell Perpetual sounds like it might in labrea's yard.

Cynthia

• true_blue
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cynthia my ballerina receives 3/4 hours of sun and is not constantly in bloom.
    It's now taking a well deserved break.

Your Bonica is a lovely rose. It's a pity it's not fragrant. I have several non fragrant roses and I'm not about to plant another one.

I love Pemberton/ Bentall HMs, besides albas, and the Canadian roses, they're the only class I can grow in my garden.

Maybe it's for the best that the roses take a break now as this year is the first one that I'm seeing Japanese beetles in the garden. Not many but enough to destroy several fragrant and non fragrant roses.

I'm afraid a continual blooming rose, will make me only frustrated with the spectre of Japanese Beetles.

But I might give Stanwell or Marie a chance...