Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Chinese names of Old Roses

luxrosa
14 years ago

Because Old Rose History that is written in English tends to be a bit Eurocentric, due I think, to a lack of translation, I was delighted to read about Chinese rose names in a new book I bought "A Rose by Any Other Name" co-authored by Mr. Scaniello of the Brooklyn Botanical garden. I learned from this book that:

What we call China class roses, in China are traditionally called Yuejihua" which means "monthly roses", which surprised Europeans who visited China in the 1700's , because all native European roses, and at that time nearly all of the European garden rose hybrids bloomed only once a year.

I learned that,

'Dahuabai Muxiang' translates as "Big white flower with woody fragrance". This in the West, is what we call R. X fortuniana.

(I can't help comparing what was then appraised as a "big" rose blossom, fort., to a gargantuan bloom from an ultra modern H.T..)Lux.

My favorite name is "Yuguo Tiangung"

which translates to "after rain--clear shining". the name of a "buff white sweetly scented climber"

The book mentions a pink rose named "YuLing Long" which translates to exquisite jade. The book reminds us that jade comes in many colors, pink, lavender and of course green.

Although I wish there were paintings or photos of these roses, if they are still extant, the book doesn't mention if they are or are not, I'm still happy to read what they write.

R. roxburghii in China is traditionally called "Saosihua' the " silk reeling rose", because it blooms in the season in which silk thread is winded.

The chapters alternate between modern roses, including "Just Joey" and old favorites, "Maidens Blush" etc.. It also mentions how French rose names could be sexier than English rose names,they give the well known example of what translates from the French as "Thigh of an aroused Nymph" to what in England was called "Maidens Blush". Unknown to me, they write about how the English, in the 1800's sold a rose they named "Spineless Virgin".

I surprised myself by buying this book because c. half its chapters are about modern roses, I'm pleasantly surprised by the clever writing, and quite a bit of what is new information to me.

For those folks who love both modern and Old Roses, I can't think of a better book to reccomend for enjoyment.

Luxrosa.

Comments (6)

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

I'm also enjoying this book-----

Florence

• sherryocala
    14 years ago

Luxrosa, I enjoyed your enjoyment of the book. I have "Big white flower with woody fragrance" and "silk reeling rose" in my garden. Hmm, maybe I'll have to give them each a second label marker with their original name (Chinese & translation) on them. I must say that "Maiden's Blush" would be my rose since aroused thighs would be over the top for my modest self. "Spineless Virgin" sounds like a bit of an oxymoron. Maybe "Spineless, Virgin No Longer" would be more realistic, but the name does have a ring to it. Thanks for the recommendation. I may try to get it.

Sherry

• jerijen
    14 years ago

Another interesting aspect of this is that while we hear much of roses imported from China to Europe, we hear NOTHING of roses carried in the same general period from Europe to China.
    There are quite a few of them.

Once in China, some of these roses acquired not just Chinese names, but histories tying them to a long-long ago.
    For instance, a rose said to be centuries old is in fact 'Clothilde Soupert.' Nor is it the only one.

Jeri

• organic_tosca
    14 years ago

What an interesting thread! I think that I must get hold of that book.

Sherry, you are too funny!

Laura

• gardennatlanta
    14 years ago

Interesting book and thread. I do wonder about the name "Yuguo Tiangung" It seems it should be "Yuguo Tianguang" which would translate, after the rain passes, the sky is bright. I think this because there is no "gung" in Chinese. I think my favorite name is the one you gave for R. X fortuniana. Xiang (fragrant) is one of my favorite words in Chinese.

Also, the pink rose you mentioned should be written Yu Linglong (jade exquisite) which is the way to say "exquisite jade" and in fact the adjective linglong makes me think of the carved jade balls that look like one ball inside of another or something else of great value that is intricately or ingeniously formed or crafted.

So now I NEED another book on roses. It will have to go on my Christmas wish list. I love to know the origin of words so the origin of rose names blends two interests.

Thanks for posting.

• phil_schorr
    14 years ago

I had to smile the other day when I was looking at a Japanese rose nursery website. The China rose Chi Dan Hong Xin had been translated to Tsu Dan Hon Shin in Japanese. When I put it through the Babelfish translation program the English result was "Red Gallbladder, Crimson Heart". What a name for a rose!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville