9 years ago

http://www.theheritagerosesgroup.org/

Accidental double post!

Here is a link that might be useful: HRG WEBSITE To See The Catalog

This post was edited by jerijen on Thu, Aug 28, 14 at 18:59

Comments (8)

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Using the double post to ask if anyone is going to meet for an early breakfast or dinner after the event?

Anyone interested in walking the Santa Clara University rose fence?

Or meeting for a sack luck in the garden?

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Clay and I get to the garden VEEEERY early in the morning, because there's only this one shady spot we can park the motorhome in.

We invariably end up with me changing clothes while people drop in to visit. I'm not very organized, first thing in the a.m.

Last year, I had a bad case of "Flu-Like Symptoms," so I didn't get around the garden at all, but this year, I intend to get a lot of photos.

And after the thing is over, we're going to head North, up the coast, to we-don't-know.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

How early is VERRRRRY early?

I am debating how far I want to drive either Friday night or just get up VERRRY early and drive up in the am.

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

I'm happy to see the delightful polyantha Charles Metroz on the list. I was very impressed when I saw him at Eurodesert--enough that I bought 2 mother plants. Capable of blooming in huge sprays. Fragrant when the weather warms up, not so much when it is cool.

When studying Cliff Orent's polyanthas, this one was so charming I wanted to take him home. It's an add little story though. Bought the first one when it was pretty warm (but not scorching) in the spring. I trimmed him back and someone helping Cliff dug him up and potted him for me. I was really puzzled at the roots, because darned if it looked as if he had a taproot. I thought, no, couldn't be. But this rose alone among those I took home that day wilted really badly in the 90 miles drive home. I watered him like all the others when I got home, and all of them bounced back except Charles Metroz. This one I tried everything, but he died. So I decided to buy the other, but just in case I had really seen a taproot, I would take precautions. The day the 2nd one came home was roasting in the afternoon--think around 115 or 116. I had him dug up last of all, after I trimmed him back. Carefully watched him being dug up, and there really was a taproot. I had him put in a lighter colored pot (mid green instead of black). Got home and took CM out of the van first and right into the shade. He had already wilted quite a bit (one or 2 others had only a tiny bit, amazingly), so I sprayed him with water and thoroughly doused the pot. He recovered, and I still have him but still in the pot in which he arrived. I'm afraid to chance disturbing that taproot again. I can't recall which rootstock is known for this trait. Anybody have a better memory???

The other one in the cataolog I also found quite intriguing at Eurodesert was Jeanny Soupert. Very confounding rose. Much prettier seen firsthand than in any pictures I've seen. She seemed to be able to color change too. Some of my photos show a rose with both yellow and white flowers. Other times she look pink and white. Habit was spreading. I didn't have a good spot for her but she was certainly pretty and different.

Photo is of Jeanny Soupert

Melissa

9 years ago

Here is Charles Metroz on July 16, 2011. It was so darn hot that day, it felt like I was walking in an oven. When I arrived, in the morning, it was already 111!

Melissa

9 years ago

Charles Metroz, flowering all the way to the ground. July 16, 2011.

Melissa

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Kippy, I am hoping to make it around 8-8:30am to get on line for the 2 roses I'm hoping for. I may be a bit jet lagged as I'm returning from NY the day before but would love to meet and say hello. I'll either be wearing a beret or a big straw hat.

Diane

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy -- Veeery early will likely be 6 a.m. We'll likely be the only RV in the parking lot -- so come say hey!

Jeri