Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerijensunsetz24

Rose Sale: A Catalog Of Roses

jerijen
9 years ago

The San Jose Heritage Rose Garden
(Guadalupe Park and Gardens, San Jose, CA)
will hold its annual Open Garden and Rose Sale on
Sept. 27, 2014.

A catalog of roses to be offered for sale is now available for your enjoyment at:

http://www.theheritagerosesgroup.org/

We hope to see some of you at the event. Clay and I will likely sell roses, when not enjoying the garden, and playing with our dogs!

Here is a link that might be useful: See The Catalog At HRG's Website

Comments (37)

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Jeri, I do not see the catalog at that link.

Rosefolly

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Folly -- Look on the RIGHT, for the box that says:

September 27, 2014
    9 a.m. to 2 p.m.

San Jose Heritage Rose Garden
    Open Garden & Rose Sale

More information

Catalog
    =============

Click on "Catalog" -- and the catalog opens.

Jeri

• rosefolly
    9 years ago

Thanks - I see it now.

• bman1920
    9 years ago

OH how I wish I could go but I live in michigan. I would love to be able to get my hands on an Alba Jeanne de Arc. I can't find it for sale anywhere.

• jill_perry_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks so much to Jeri for all her work on this! The catalog is now also available here:

Here is a link that might be useful: SJHRG website

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Jeri, do you know whether The Heritage will have any on-line sales with shipping? Perhaps that's a way to sell a Jeanne d'Arc? Kim

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

***I don't think so, Kim, but Jill Perry will know. You can probably contact her through the SJHRG website. (See above)

Jeri
    =============

" I would love to be able to get my hands on an Alba Jeanne de Arc. I can't find it for sale anywhere."

*** That's what's important about sales like this. These are where you find those roses that simply are not in commerce.

• jill_perry_gw
    9 years ago

We have no plans to ship anything. Several people have arranged for us to send cuttings to Burling, and she sends the plants when she has them ready.

Jill

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Thanks Jeri for posting this.

Looks like I'll try and make it even though I'll have just arrived the day before from a trip to NY/NJ

Hoping for 'Jeanne d'Arc' and Bald Mountain.

Jill, can you tell me what size plants these are.

Thanks,
    Diane

Diane

• jill_perry_gw
    9 years ago

I think they're both in #3 pots.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Sorry we can't be there. I'm going up to Oregon for my grand daughter's birthday.

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Diane -- it'll be good to see you again!

Jeri

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Jill, how would someone go about getting a cutting sent to Burling? I am convinced that 'Jesse Hildreth' wants to come live in SC... he just doesn't know it yet. (I actually know some people named Hildreth who live hereabouts...)

It may be too involved or expensive a proposition for me, but I won't know without asking, right?

Thanks,
    Virginia

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

When I found that Burling didn't have 'Crepuscule,' I gave her my last-try own-root 'Crepuscule,' to keep and propagate-from. I told her that, if she ever had a spare budded plant.

A couple of years later, she surprised me with a budded 'Crepuscule.'

Jeri

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Getting material to her is simple. First, though, you have to speak with her to make sure she's interested and willing to take on another project. She juggles MANY balls all by herself. One more might tip the balance against her favor. If she's interested and willing, you can either take it to her or mail it Priority Mail, which isn't a huge deal or expense. If it's simply a few bud sticks, wrapped properly, they should fit in a small Priority (the ONLY way to send rose material period!) box which costs about $6.50 and gets the stuff to her in two days from most locations in the country. Three days at worst, unless you're not taking into consideration Sundays, holidays, weird weather, etc. If it's being sent from somewhere out in the sticks, it might take three days. I've wrapped and mailed bud wood to Europe where it required eight days and the word from the other end was it arrived "as fresh as if it had just been cut". The whole trick is to use DAMP paper or paper towels with NO DRIPPING WATER PERIOD. If you can squeeze drips from the paper, it's too wet and the probability of rot and slime are greater. They don't need water, they need humidity. High humidity enclosed within plastic so it doesn't escape will keep cuttings (including foliage) and bud wood fresh for many days. Liquid water in the bags will turn them into slime in less than two days. I won't go in to how many times that has happend with cuttings and bud wood this summer, nor how many times I've sent these instructions, but it is COMMON.

If she's interested and willing; the material is cut and prepared then mailed properly, she should have it within 72 hours. USPS Priority Mail includes free tracking and it only takes a minute or two to set it up on line at USPS.com. Each check point the package achieves, you and the recipient will receive email notices alerting you to the fact. You will also know precisely when to expect the package so it won't sit out in a hot mailbox unnecessarily. It isn't difficult, nor is it terribly time consuming or even costly. It does require a little set-up to make sure things happen as they should. Kim

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I should note that I didn't actually send the Crepuscule to Burling.

I had spoken with her about it, and we agreed that I would give it to her at an event we were both going to attend.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I purposely picked a few Teas that Burling does not have for the September order. If they do well for me I can share with her and if not....and budded does not help the. I know why they were not on this coast. Lol

I ordered the ARE Rosette Delizy that she will hopefully want as well. But honestly I have no idea how she does it all! One very busy lady

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Hi Jill, 3gL is perfect. I'll have to arrive extra early!!!

Jeri, look forward to seeing you too. Always a pleasure!

Kippy, am wondering why Teas need to be budded for us in CA. I thought they did so well here (except Gloire de Dijon, although mine from High Country Roses own root is coming along nicely.)

Diane

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy -- Be patient with that Rosette Delizy. It's a great example of a rose that needs time to build size.

Jeri

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Diane, I get what you mean about Teas doing well here why bud. But my two thoughts behind trying budded version:

I have had zero success rooting teas. Might be wrong time wrong method ... But Pink Clouds rooted in a few weeks almost 100% If I can bud a tea on to pink clouds and it takes, I will have a plant that I can keep trying to root.

The other reason, it seems the teas I like the most I keep hearing grow backwards here. I can't tell you how many times I have checked Safrano looking for new growth (finally I think I see some) and with so many teas descendants of Safrano if it helps to have a stronger root maybe I can grow it successfully

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, most Teas do well here. Safrano, OTOH, simply does not want to live here. It DID grow backward, and it is gone.

I give up. I will grow the Teas that want to grow for me.

Mme. Berkeley can reach the size of a modern VW Bug.
    Smith's Parish can make two of them!
    Mons. Tillier is big and vigorous.
    The Cochets all like it here.
    Rosette Delizy is big and healthy.

and on, and on . . .

I guess, if I was determined to grow Safrano, I'd try for it budded, but I just figure, if it doesn't want to grow here, I will live without it.

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Thanks Kippy, now I get it.

Good luck.

I'm waiting sort of patiently for a budded Gloire de Dijon from Burling. I'm next in line after Josh. Boy do I love that rose.

Diane

• roseseek
    9 years ago

How are the Cardinal Hume cuttings performing for you, Kippy? It should root EXTREMELY easily if it works there as it did in Newhall and does here. And, it accepts everything I've ever put on it, pushing as quickly as Pink Clouds. But the biggest plus is, it NEVER experiences chlorosis due to alkalinity, which PC CAN.

This is the Noisette, Cinderella, I put five buds of on Hume on July 8 to push them for more cuttings and bud wood. It's not only growing, but flowering. To give perspective, it's in a two gallon can. Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Kim. You actually gave me a 1g that had a cane come up from an bud under the soil line. And it is growing gang busters and is why I hurried up and moved part of the garden fence and wood pile to make a root stock row. With a big plus on its blooms. My weekend garden project is to start digging 5g sized holes for all the pot garden roses. Once we get a rain forecast I want to be ready to plant.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Hi Kim-

Thanks for the info re getting stuff to Burling. I'm not interested in sending her cuttings from here, but it was mentioned that cuttings of plants offered by the SJHRG could be sent to Burling for rooting.

I was wondering what my chances are of actually getting cuttings of 'Jesse H' from the SJHRG before I checked with her to see if she could root them for me. Do I put the cart before the horse, or the horse before the cart?

Maybe too complicated for this East Coaster. Perhaps some day, Jesse H will make his way into commerce? I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Virginia

• roseseek
    9 years ago

That's easy, Virginia. Email someone who grows Jessie and who may have done this sort of thing before, then send Burling (or whomever) and email explaining what you have in mind to inquire whether they are able and interested. Explaining to both simultaneously what you desire to orchestrate allows both the opportunity to beg out or join in. If one way doesn't work, you go a different route. It's entirely possible someone closer to you may accept the challenge. You have RU, Long Ago, etc. and one of them may find the idea intriguing. Either way, using the method of preparing and mailing the cuttings is constant. That's how all the goodies from here, which are now grown in Europe got there. Kim

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The folks at Rose Petal know about Jesse Hildreth, at least. The others likely don't, because it's never been in commerce in modern times.

Truth is -- as more forgotten roses are discovered, there will simply not be enough nurseries to put them into commerce. They will be preserved (if they indeed ARE preserved) by gardens like the SJHRG and the one in the Sacramento City Cemetery; by Heritage Groups who care enough to work at it, and by passalong . . . And that last is really something we all can do.

Jeri

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Jeri. I knew that Rose Petals often has some of those west-coast found roses, and I was hoping they'd be interested in selling "Jesse H". I just sent them an e-mail to ask about whether they have any plans to carry it.

It would be a lot simpler to just order a rose from a nursery than to try to find a source for cuttings- especially with all the quarantines and required inspections. If I can do things the easy way AND support a (fairly) local nursery, I'm on board.

To my eyes, it's an uncommonly lovely Tea, and I really do like most Teas. Perhaps its beauty is slightly enhanced by that aura of unobtainability, but I think mostly it's just a beautiful rose.

Thanks,
    Virginia

• roseseek
    9 years ago

I applaud your sentiments, Virginia! Kim

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Thanks, Kim, and I will revisit this thread if I ever have cuttings to send out to anyone. I'm probably going to jinx myself, but I've actually had pretty good luck with rooting cuttings so far. Beginner's luck, probably!

Thanks again,
    Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Jeri, the rarity of 'Jesse' is attractive, but also a little alarming, given my lack of rose-growing experience.

I hope y'all can continue to nurture your west coast plants, and that 'Jesse' is eventually offered commercially. I'll let you know if I get a response from Rose Petals.

Beautiful photos, as always, but I don't see any Dalmatians? (Maybe next time...)

Thanks,
    Virginia

• jerijen
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Virginia ... Stay tuned, as radio might say. I REALLY hope we can start getting this rose up to sharing stage fairly soon. That, really is our only hope for long term preservation.

This rose is worth it.

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Jeri (and anyone else who might be interested)-

I did get a response from Rose Petals that they don't currently have 'Jesse H', but to check back, as that might change soon.

Here's hoping!

Virginia

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Virginia, I hope you see this. I got a Jesse Hildreth from RPs and then also from RU. That was so nice you were trying to nudge the nurseries along.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I now have Jesse Hildreth in my garden, a monument to the persistence of rose friends who distributed this rose to commercial nurseries. My question now is - could this be or is this the same rose as Westside Road Cream Tea, a rose I had in my garden long ago, before it outgrew its allotted space? (see picture)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    5 years ago

Does your foliage on Jesse now look the same to you as you remember WRCT's foliage? My Jesse foliage looks especially perfect. Was WRCT's that way?