Return to the Antique Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Ubiquitous "Maggie"

Posted by malcolm_manners 9b C. Fla. (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 20:11

I was delighted, last week, to find "Maggie" (a.k.a. Pacific, Kakinada Red, Mme. Eugene E. Marlitt) growing in Jessore, Bangladesh! See the linked photo and the two photos after it in that album. She's everywhere!

Malcolm

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Maggie in Bangladesh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Ubiquitous "Maggie"

How neat! She surely is one of my favorite roses, full of blooms in spite of our over 100 Degree days.

o

Maggie is a true treasure and seems to thrive in lots of places. Thanks for sharing Malcolm! You have many neat photos posted of roses, seen during your travels. I'm wondering though, if on any of your overseas trips (don't recall if you've been to Turkestan or thereabouts...) you've seen any roses growing in the wild similar to R. primula?

Melissa

o

Thanks for the tour, Malcolm. Very interesting.

Does the Florida Malayan Dwarf variety of coconut fruit here? If so, is it a commercial crop or just dooryard.

Also interested to know its range.

Veronica

o

she (IT) is not in the UK though, unless one buys from a european nursery. Too bad.

o

Tessiess, I've worked in Armenia and Turkmenistan, where I've seen some yellow and peach-colored wild roses, but did not know what they were. This was long ago, when I would have had no idea of the species. But it was fun to see them.

Veronica -- They grow and fruit well in truly frost-free areas of the state, so from about Palm Beach County southward on the east coast, and south of Sarasota on the west coast. They will not withstand any frost at all. No commercial production, but common in home dooryards, and they are edible, although generally not as crunchy flesh as the old 'Jamaica Tall' had, when I was a child.

o

Maggie looks as though she's planted in a rather inhospitable place and yet she's blooming a lot. That's very impressive. We're going to need those kinds of roses in our ever-increasing heat.

o

Yes, Maggie seems to thrive on heat. I have two plants of it..one right next to the hot street and one in the middle of my garden. The one by the street does best. It is my best blooming Bourbon. To me the foliage and stems look like they have some tea or China in them although they are thick.

o

Love your bush shot, Malcolm. It really shows me what I have to look forward to. But then I saw Erasmus' photo! Wowy zow!!! My baby's not a year old yet, so it'll be a while.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antique Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here