Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arbutusomnedo

Another Found Rose Question: 'Miriam Wilkins' HP

Does anyone grow the rose named for Miriam Wilkins? I imagine many of you knew her personally and carry on her legacy either with this rose or in some other way.

What can you tell me about her namesake found HP? Any idea of the identity behind it? I assume it was found in Northern California, but I don't know much about it beyond that and the look of the few pictures on HMF.

The success I've had with Grandmother's Hat and Sydonie makes me think there have to be a few other HP types (particularly found roses from California) that are worth trying. I see a good amount of talk about Barbara's Pasture Rose and Old Town Novato, but not this one. I'd seen it a few times on Rogue Valley's site before, but never even looked it up on HMF before last night. Thanks as always.

Jay

Comments (17)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I was under the impression that it was the same as the rose sold as "Spencer," and as 'Enfant de France.' But that's not what the HMF photos look like.

I know someone I can ask, but she is in NoCal, in very different conditions.

If it is the same as 'Enfant de France,' -- run screaming in a different direction. I have known few roses that mildewed with such complete enthusiasm.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

I personally don't think "Grandmother's Hat" is much like most Hybrid Perpetuals. IMHO, it is, in fact, a great deal like 'Gloire des Rosomanes,' (another rose that's sorta hard to categorize) -- and likely related to it.

But on a happier note, you might investigate these two:

"Benny Lopez" (Found in Santa Barbara, CA) and
    "Old Town Novato" (Found in Novato, CA)

Both are pretty good roses in Coastal Southern CA -- particularly Benny Lopez. You'll find two sources listed on HMF for Benny -- both, ironically, on the East Coast. But I think Burlington might also have these two.

See below, Benny Lopez.

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I never thought to ask Burling, but that is a great idea. I contacted Rose Petals a few months back about Old Town Novato and they indicated some cuttings were developing, but shipping is pretty expensive from the East Coast.

I was just looking up roses descended from GH and noticed the color sport Tina Marie. I had never heard of it. The picture of yours on HMF is wonderful. Have you ever shared cuttings of that plant with any nursery or is it just circulated at cemetary rose auctions and similar events? Larry Daniels looks great on HMF, but the photos of Tina Marie are even better.

Jay

This post was edited by ArbutusOmnedo on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 2:15

• fogrose
    9 years ago

As far as I understand, Gregg Lowery from Vintage Gardens discovered "Miriam Wilkins" rose growing in the Santa Rosa Rural Cemetery and named the plant after Miriam. I obtained a plant from the cemetery during one of their sales last year. I have it in a 5gal pot and it is slowly growing.

Diane

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

WOW, Tina Marie is exquisite!!!

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Ingrid, in your garden, it would be white.

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

Miriam Wilkens is a wonderful rose. I love mine. Sometimes later in the spring it gets some disease(big deal) Right now mine has lovely blooms. Who wouldn't want a rose named after Miriam?

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

Grandmother's Hat sure is a chameleon. Look at this bloom on her today. Very hot colored pink and white (sort of reminiscent of Double Delight!), and the camera got the color pretty faithfully. Normally she is a cool mid pink, but now in August she looks like this (and is as fragrant as ever). She is next to and partially under a big cedar tree for a little sun protection as I noted she did not do well in Ingrid's sunny garden. Mine came from Vintage.

Melissa

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

When I pulled the cane down to take a picture, someone said hello!

Melissa

• jerijen
    9 years ago

We have GramHat in many locations here, and from two different sources. We get a range of colors and forms from all of them. I think it's one of her greatest charms.

Jeri

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It turns out that Burling has a "small stock plant" of Old Town Novato, but she doesn't have Benny Lopez, Jeri. Hopefully she'll make OTN available in the not too distant future once her plant is larger.

Jay

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Jay -- When we have an opportunity, we must get Benny to Burling.

• User
    9 years ago

Jeri,

While you're thinking about getting rare plants to Burling, would you consider trying to get her one of Elizabeth's China?

Rose Petals has it in their catalog, but there is no telling when or if they'll ever offer it for sale online. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to have more than one nursery carrying it, one on either side of country at that. :-)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Sure enough. That's easy.

• User
    9 years ago

That's awesome, Jeri. Thank you for being so kind and generous.

(Sorry, I misspelled Elisabeth.)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Belle -- I don't think Elisabeth would mind. :-)

Jeri

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts