Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slumgullion

R. primula

Hi all you rosophiles,

I have a question - I'm planning to order R. primula. I've read that people think the strain/clone sold by Hortico is more fragrant than from Pickering, but I would like own-root so I don't want to order from Hortico.

Does anyone have an opinion whether the strain/clone from Greenmantle is more or less fragrant than the one from Pickering?

Or is there any other source that anyone thinks is particularly fragrant?

Thanks!

SG

Comments (9)

• true_blue
    9 years ago

SG I believe Pickering roses are all grafted.

You can alway buy Hortico's and root it yourself :-)

• slumgullion in southern OR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks true-blue! But I thought Pickering switched over to own-root in the past couple years...?

I guess I'll go ahead and order from Greenmantle, that way there's no question.

Best,
    SG

• true_blue
    9 years ago

This is from the FAQ of Pickering:

Q: What rootstock do you use and why does it matter?

A: We bud the majority of our roses on R. multiflora and the gallicas, damasks and some odds & ends on R. laxa. All our understock is grown from seed, thus making it virus free and less likely to produce suckers/ wild shoots. Rosa multiflora is commonly used as an understock in colder climates and is gaining in popularity in Europe. Rosa laxa is used for the noted types because it makes a stronger union at the graft and is more resistant to wind damage when the plants are immature. It is also a commonly used rootstock in Europe. The type of rootstock used is very important. Rosa multiflora is able to grow well throughout most of the northern hemisphere and survive our winters while some of the rootstocks used in southern areas are less likely to survive the winter. Also rootstock propagated from cuttings is more likely to produce suckers/ wild shoots and transmit virus. *In some states Rosa multiflora is considered a noxious weed. This has no relation to its use as an understock for garden roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickering FAQ

• slumgullion in southern OR
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hmm, I don't know what to think. Previous info on the Antique Rose Forum has indicated they are switching to own-root after last season; so when they open for shipping this fall, maybe the website will be updated. (See link below.)

But I guess it is safer to assume they are still shipping grafted, until they officially say otherwise in writing.

Thanks though!

Here is a link that might be useful: ARF thread re: Pickering switching to own-root

• Tessiess, SoCal Inland, 9b, 1272' elev
    9 years ago

That Pickering FAQ regarding rootstocks hasn't been updated recently. See link below for a discussion regarding them no longer using laxa. I had also read on these forums Pickering was planning/thinking of going own root, but I don't know if they have actually done so.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: Grafted Roses, Suppliers and Rootstock

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Send them an email and ask directly about the specific rose you want. They have always responded. Kim

• true_blue
    9 years ago

I wrote to them this morning, and I will post when they respond.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

I had a grafted r. primula from Pickering which was very fragrant and healthy. I was very pleased with the one I had and it seemed identical in looks and fragrance to ones I had seen in other gardens. Note that fragrance can vary some day to day on the same plant depending on the weather, heat and cold and rain, so that variations people detect *could* be that and not that they are looking at different strains. All the roses I've received from Pickering have been grafted and they haven't in the past offered own-root. You can bury the bud union 2" deep and it may self-root anyway so I personally don't see that as an issue.

• bluegirl_gw
    9 years ago

I ordered it from Pickering & have 2 from last fall. I most definitely recall reading on their website that they intended to offer own-root roses--something that caught my eye, because it appealed to me. I've lost the rose before & suspect that the multiflora loathes my extremely alkaline 'soil' (caliche) & water.

Jackie (I think, from CA) said hers is huge, that she planted it deep. So I have one in a 15 gallon tub, one in the ground--both planted with good purchased potting soil, covering the graft.

Looking good so far--nice new canes, fragrant, ferny, leaves. I haven't noticed the leaf scent as strongly this season but the dryness has really been extreme this year.

I love this rose & really want to keep it alive. I also have a standing order with Greenmantle for an own-root plant. But I was told, "it's a bear to root" & to expect to wait at least a couple of years.

I've never had any luck rooting it--under mist, air layering, trying in different seasons--nada. When you get it, try budding it--I believe Kim has had success with that. I'm going to whip in some buds, too, as soon as my root stock is ready. It's the surest way I know to preserve roses--so much faster & reliable than trying to root hard-to-root things like this one.