Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annesfbay

SJHRG catalog question

annesfbay
9 years ago

I'm looking forward to the upcoming SJHRG event. I want to get Golden Wings but the catalog lists it as a once bloomer. I thought it repeated. The old sick shrub I had in my garden which I was sure was Golden Wings bloomed prolifically. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Anne

Comments (15)

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Anne -- that's the "official" information on Golden Wings.

R. banksia lutea blooms all year long in my coastal garden, and so does Fortuniana. Further inland, those roses never repeat.

Perhaps others have seen 'Golden Wings' repeat?

• annesfbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see. Thank you!

Anne

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

I've had Golden Wings for 11 years, one of the first roses I planted after moving here. Mine blooms pretty much as HMF says, a big, long, beautiful spring flush but only a scattering of blooms thereafter. Of course, I never deadhead mine, I'm more or less inland, and GW is sited at the interface between the irrigated garden and the native garden, at the end of the hose, so to speak.

• annesfbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, the rose I had was in a well irrigated part of the garden which may account for the continuity of bloom. And, I get the "marine influence" here in Mountain View.

In the end, whether I get one flush or more the blooms are so beautiful, among my favorites, I plan on getting a couple at the SJHRG.

Thanks, Anne

• jill_perry_gw
    9 years ago

The plant of Golden Wings at the Heritage was blooming a bit when I was there last week.
    Jill

• annesfbay
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'll get one from the Heritage (unless someone beats me to it) and one from rogue valley (I believe their catalog says it blooms continually) and compare the two.

Anne

• roseseek
    9 years ago

It repeated all summer into fall in Newhall and did here in Encino, when I was watering it. Now with little water applied to that area, it isn't flowering but neither is anything around it. I would expect it to repeat. Kim

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Way out of your climate zone, but grew Golden Wings in a Shenandoah Valley garden, where it flowered from Spring till late in Fall. Under References at HelpMeFind, found several reporting repeat to continuous bloom, as does Rogue Valley in the link below. Even Austin remarks on its "Excellent continuity of flowering" on his USA site. Maybe it's a deadheading & watering issue? Santa Fe Botanical Garden in NM notes it blooms from "mid-spring to late summer" there, and believe that's a semi-arid climate. It may receive supplemental watering, as they advise "deep watering every once in a while. Be sure to water it at the base or by drip irrigation".

Remember it as a charming rose, with great Autumn hips if the last crop of blooms aren't removed. Thinking of it now, there are several places in this garden where it would shine - thanks for the reminder!

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Wings

• jerijen
    9 years ago

So, I wonder who first thought it was not remontant?

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Probably either somewhere it wasn't dead headed or seldom watered. As with most flowering plants, it shuts down with lack of water. Mine is receiving enough to keep it alive and it's been a while since it's flowered. If there was enough water, I'm certain it would be flowering now. Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Likely so. And even WITH water -- our R. banksia lutea stopped blooming this summer -- actually blew through it's spring bloom prematurely -- with successive heatwaves.

It's depressing.

Jeri

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Welcome to "summer heat"! Kim

• jerijen
    9 years ago

Oh yes, Kim. And have I mentioned that I dislike hot weather intensely? If I wanted to live in a freaking desert, I wouldn't be living at the coast!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Did the fog reach you today Jeri? It did not clear up at my place til about 3 and I can see it ready to roll back in shortly. I should note that I am much closer to the ocean than moms garden.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

It wasn't foggy, Kippy -- Just dreary. It cleared late morning, and is now very sunny, with a strong, cool, onshore breeze. Low 70's. :-) My favorite weather.

In the "old days" though -- 25 or so years ago -- it would start out with a thick morning fog that didn't clear until about 4 p.m. Then the fog rolled back in from about 4:30.

So our weather here has definitely changed.

Jeri