Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sow_what

So Happy to Finally Be Getting Annie Laurie McDowell

I've been on the waiting list with Burlington, and was so happy to get the email that Annie Laurie McDowell is ready! I'll be purchasing several, and will grow them for Humpty Dumpty House and Totally Kids Rehabilitation Hospital. I'm very new at taking roses seriously, and will appreciate any advice (eg: keep potted or plant in ground, best protocols for growing them out, etc).

I've never purchased from Burling before, so if anyone knows of other "must-try" roses she carries that are good in a hot, dry climate, please let me know.

Thanks!
jannike

Comments (15)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Mine was very small when I received it from Burling and I kept it in a 1-gallon pot for quite some time. I didn't have a 2-gallon pot when it seemed too large for the 1-gallon one, and so cut down a 5-gallon one so that it would contain much less soil. It stayed in that pot until it got very hot this summer, and then I judged it safer to plant it in its final position, where it receives morning sun only. It began to put out new growth in a very short time so that must have been the right decision. I almost always plant bands straight into the ground, but this plant was so precious to me, and is so difficult to get, that I didn't want to take the chance of anything going wrong.

Ingrid

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

I recently received a band from Burling.
    I planted directly into the ground---- only
    only a few feet away from my beautiful Crape Myrtle
    'Pink Velour'. She will climb along the covered patio column which is directly behind.

I don't babysit roses. I observe. Thus, all bands are immediately planted.

She is so happy. First bloom ever this morning!!!
    It's only been maybe 2 months since "the acquisition".

This post was edited by mauvegirl8 on Mon, Aug 4, 14 at 18:20

9 years ago

mauvegirl, how I envy you. You must have very good soil to have achieved a happy, blooming plant in such a short period of time. It's been more than a year since I got mine and it's just now coming into its own. Still, I'm sure the results will be worth the wait.

Ingrid

• ms. violet grey
    9 years ago

Annie Laurie McDowell

Thank you Ingrid. We had good rainfall recently and high humidity.

As always, I admire your lush foggy dreamy scenery.

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Lovely! Your rain definitely will be to her liking! Kim

• Kippy
    9 years ago

When I visited Kim, he brought a couple of canes of ALMD so I could see in person. WOW. I can see why some called it Super Renae. Nice thick canes PACKED with leaves and flowers. Packed like feather boa. What an amazing rose and how lucky was I to drive home with her scenting the car rather than a pair of travel weary 20 somethings :)

9 years ago

Thank you, mauvegirl, I'm so glad you like my garden.

Your pictures of the bloom of ALMD are absolutely lovely. I can't tell you how much I look forward to my plant blooming with flowers of that quality.

Ingrid

• Sow_what? Southern California Inland
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ingrid, I feel exactly as you did. I don't want anything to go wrong with these roses. I waited for them a long time, and I'm simply their caretaker 'till they've grown enough to be planted at the childrens hospital and at Humpty Dumpty House. I've planted bands in clients' gardens where I only visit once a week, and so far, so good. But I'm nervous about doing that with these ALM -- what do you think?

Mauvegirl8, I'm happy to see your ALM doing so well. What kind of care do you give her?

Kippy, thanks for the positive report; I'm really looking forward to this rose for the new kids gardens!

Kim, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. Should I plant these bands in their permanent spots at the hospital now, or do I need to grow them out where I can check them daily?

Thanks everyone,

jannike

• roseseek
    9 years ago

My personal preference with ANY band size rose is to pot it larger and grow it until it of a size I am comfortable planting in its permanent location. The more desirable the rose, the stronger the urge to keep it potted. Murphy dictates the more valuable the rose is to you, the greater the probability something is going to happen to it. If they were something you didn't care about, you could probably plant them, forget about them and they would flourish. You REALLY want them, so SOMETHING is going to happen to them. Been there far too many times! Kim

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I think I was meant to get this rose- I sent an inquiry about getting on the waiting list at Long Ago, and quickly got an e-mail back that she had one available. Apparently, someone canceled an order, so I'm the lucky beneficiary, and it should ship out soon.

Apparently, 4 roses will usually fit in a box, but 'ALMcD' is something of a space hog (suddenly, I'm thinking "PIGS IN SPAAAAACE" for some reason- remember the Muppet Show?), so only 2 roses will fit. 'Clotilde Soupert' was what Linda Loe recommended for rose #2, and I am rather excited to be getting these two fragrant beauties soon.

If you're one of those folks who waited years for 'ALMcD', please don't hate me!

Virginia

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I asked Linda Loe at Long Ago if she had any more 'Annie Laurie McDowell', and she said she's currently auctioning one on e-Bay.

She also said, "I have about three other smaller but not newly rooted ones that will probably be ready in about 6 weeks or in fall. Also have a good supply (approx. 24) of new plants of it which will be ready sometime in spring. Thank you for asking!

I have an increasing selection of Kim Rupert's roses in addition to ALM including Lynnie, Lauren, Dawn Crest, Joyberry (very fragrant and a good bloomer, also really pretty), and am testing a couple of his unnamed varieties too.

Not all of these are on my site yet."

So ignore this if you're in one of those west coast states she no longer ships to, but otherwise, you should send her an e-mail if you're interested in ALM, etc.

Virginia

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Thank you Virginia. Dawn Crest isn't mine, though. It is a crested seedling Ralph Moore raised in his quest for the perfect crested sepals. It wasn't crested enough for his ideal, and he wasn't going to release it because it wasn't, but several of us twisted his arm enough to let it out (thankfully!). Out of curiosity, what 'unnamed ones' are you growing? Thanks, Kim

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

Sorry, Kim, to be confusing. I was quoting from Ms Loe's e-mail.

I'm not growing any of your roses yet, but if you missed the post above that one, I just ordered 'ALMcD'.

Virginia

• roseseek
    9 years ago

Ah, thank you, that makes more sense! Mind like a steel sieve and all. Kim

• Vicissitudezz
    9 years ago

I can relate!