Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Anyone growing Leonie Lamesch?

echolane
9 years ago

I think I acquired this rose from the now defunct Vintage Roses many years ago and I like it so much. I have an attraction to multi hued flowers like Leonie and also for attractive disease free shrubs, which she is. In my garden she puts on a truly glorious spring show, but blooms very sparingly thereafter. Perhaps it's because my automatic sprinklers don't reach her with a generous amount of water in our hot summers, but I do wonder what others experience with her as to repeat blooming.

Here's a description:
Leonie Lamesch is a rare and wonderful unique polyantha rose. The 1-2 inch flowers appear in small clusters and are a most unique blend of yellow, orange, and red that varies with the weather. This foliage is rather unusual for a polyantha, showing the multiflora heritage with enlongated leaflets. Disease-resistance is good.

And here's a link to a website with a good photo.

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/products/roses/leonie-lamesch/

Comments (20)

• malcolm_manners
    9 years ago

It's a real favorite of mine as well, although by mid-morning on a hot day, the petals tend to fry. But beautiful if it's cooler.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

I have a LL growing in a large pot. My climate in the SF No Bay should be very similar to yours. Mine re-blooms all summer. Your guess about yours that it needs more water could be correct - mine loves water. Here is a picture from last week, when most of the bush was in its "pink" phase. Another picture follows.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Close up picture of some blooms just opening.

Jackie

echolane thanked jacqueline9CA
  • jerijen
    9 years ago

She was lovely here, but we no longer have her. Gophers ate her roots, and she was never the same rose. Her bloom production, never robust, declined to "almost never." But she is a remarkable beauty, at her best.

Jeri

• Kippy
    9 years ago

I love your photos.

My baby cutting put out a little bud, eaten by a grasshopper I bet. I hope this means my plant will be happy as a bigger plant

• reemcook
    9 years ago

Oh my! I am in awe of the beauty of this rose. Thank you for sharing pictures of your precious rose.

- Reem

echolane thanked reemcook
  • User
    9 years ago

I will be growing it soon. I couldn't resist the pictures anymore and have it on order.

I hope it blooms prolifically and doesn't fry too badly here.

• echolane
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Glad to see I'm not alone in loving this rose. Definitely will start pushing water her way in future. BTW, sources suggest this rose is of small stature; mine is 6' tall, shapely and full with healthy deep green foliage. Even if mine is a shy rebloomer, she is very attractive anyway.

• FruitCat (GA 7b)
    5 years ago

Resurrecting this thread because my little Leonie bloomed (purchased this year).

She's still in a pot and I'm trying to figure out a permanent spot for her. The one I have in mind is on a north/northwest-facing wall that's mostly shaded but she will get some bursts of sun (direct, overhead in summer for a few hours, none at all in winter and afternoon sun once she's taller). Is that going to work? I have other polyanthas (Perle D' Or, Cecile Brunner, Marie Pavie) in full sun and those are growing like weeds. I wouldn't mind if this one grew more slowly... but also don't want to kill her.

For reference, I have a medlar a few feet away, same conditions, and it grows, blooms and fruits. Plants seem to love that area, I think the ground stays moist/cool year-round. There's bright light year-round; the area is shaded by the house and not by tall trees, overhead sun in summer.

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    5 years ago

Oh golly. I had ordered Leonie Lamesch from RVR because their website said it was in stock, but I received a substitute of Reines des Violettes (I have a huge list of desired roses). I'm bummed, but will try again!

Leonie looks just splendid. Like a tropical punch bloom.

Steven

• FruitCat (GA 7b)
    5 years ago

MiGreenThumb --I got her this year from Rose Petals Nursery. She's still in stock, just sayin'... :)

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    5 years ago

FWIW MiGreenThumb, I've tried at least 4 times to overwinter Leonie Lamesch as well as some of her rose children and I've never been successful at getting even a glimmer of survival in any location. Not saying you couldn't do it, but I haven't found this rose to be hardy. It's odd, since polys are usually pretty tough roses, but this family just isn't hardy for me.

Cynthia

• cedemas
    5 years ago

Mine bloomed a few times in early Spring and Summer and then she died. I think she hated all the rain.

• echolane
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lovely to see Leonie Lamesch living on at least on the Garden Web. Mine continues healthy with one huge spring into early summer bloom. I just don’t give her the extra water she really needs for reblooming because water has become ultra expensive in our summer dry climate. I have a lot of other roses living on marginal water and not looking as good as they used to because of the expense of watering them. I am actually considering the unthinkable, that is to replace most of the roses lining my driveway with something much more water wise. Leonie grows elsewhere in my garden, thankfully, and would never be sacrificed.

• erasmus_gw
    last year

I used to have it and liked the cute cheery blooms but I think mine succumbed to cold as well. ( in zone 7a) My plant was about 4' , pretty healthy, rebloomed very well.

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

Mine thrived in a very large pot with plenty of water.

Jackie

• jacqueline9CA
    last year

OH, and I meant to add - bloomed all summer and into the Fall.

Jackie

• MiGreenThumb (Z5b S.Michigan/Sunset 41) Elevation: 1091 feet
    last year

I have her, but she's a brand new addition last year from Palatine so I cannot really comment yet. The few blooms I've had look just like there pictures I've seen though.

Steven

• echolane
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

So glad to read that Leonie Lamesch lives on and is still available. i think she is special.