Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
humble5zone9atx

How large is Souvenir de Pierre Notting?

humble5zone9atx
9 years ago

I'd like to replace 5 Gold Medals that I have behind my pool with a yellow tea and I think SDPN could be perfect for that spot. How wide and how tall will SDPN be?

Btw all the ogr's you guys have recommended have been beautiful and carefree, especially the teas, they seem to love Houston.

Yvette

Comments (7)

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Pat, your roses are gorgeous, and this is the middle of summer! Hats off to you for being able to grow MFK well; she's a prima donna. I've never seen Perle des Jardins in that pinky color, mine was always more yellow (the few times it consented to bloom). So was my SdPN, come to think of it. I wonder if your humidity has something to do with it. No matter the color, they're all gorgeous and glowing.

Ingrid

• humble5zone9atx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow! I love them all. MFK and SdPN look very much alike. I'm surprised no one has commented on SdPN's full size. Perle des jardins is such a beauty I'm putting it on my short list.

• catspa_NoCA_Z9_Sunset14
    9 years ago

I have an SdPN that is 7 years old and roughly 6' x 6'. However, I don't consider it "mature" since it was moved to the spot it now occupies 4 or 5 years ago, which set it back a little, and it is clearly going to get larger. Somewhere I read that it does want to be tall.

SdPN can get quite pink. Below is a photo of a bloom during one of our "Death Valley" spells here last summer (104 degrees that day, the 4th of July, but it had been over 100 every day for a week before and practically zero humidity). But I've also got a photo from the following month of a flower that is quite yellow -- perhaps one from a shadier part of the bush. Spring blooms are yellow, so I've always assumed it was the heat or intensity of the sun.

• humble5zone9atx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm sold on SdPN. Those pictures are beautiful! Thanks for helping me out. :)

Yvette

• malcolm_manners
    9 years ago

Ours are definitely less vigorous than some teas, but will build slowly. I'd say 4' tall by 5' wide here, eventually. We do prune some, in the spring, so they might get bigger with no pruning at all.

• pat_bamaz7
    9 years ago

Yvette, SdPN and MFK do look almost identical to me. When IâÂÂm taking pictures, I have to include a background shot of each so IâÂÂll know which is which when I download. Both can be quite pink at times, as Catspa noted, and quite yellow at times. More often, they are somewhere in between for me.
    Ingrid, I barely notice the pinky peach tones on PdJ in person, but looking back at all my pictures, theyâÂÂre in almost every one. IâÂÂve drooled over the climbing version of this rose at a nearby nursery for quite a while and finally broke down and got the bush form this spring. IâÂÂm really, really loving it so far. IâÂÂm sorry to hear yours wasnâÂÂt a good bloomer and that MFK was a dud for you. IâÂÂve read that MFK is finicky about climate, but must like my humid heat or clay soil or combo.

Here are a couple of shots of SdPN I took last night. Seems to be in a bit of a pink mood:

{{gwi:306639}}

{{gwi:306641}}

And here are a couple of PdJ from last nightâ¦looking a beautiful buff yellow to me, but a bit pinky peach to my camera ïÂÂ

{{gwi:306642}}

{{gwi:306643}}

And one of a PdJ bud opening up in mid July that almost has Peace coloringâ¦

{{gwi:306644}}